SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these two 1:32 AW cars on e-bay some months ago. They did not look too good as you can see from the pics, but I have a weak spot for Mura motors and I was convinced that I at least could use the motors or parts from them

They went into storage in my cupboard and while looking for something else, i "found" them and took them out and started taking them apart for cleaning.

I used various dremel tools, wire brushes and x-acto knifes in order to remove old grime and surplus glue and solder, but the effort started to show. At the same time I began searching for information on the chassis and found out that they were Formula 32 chassis, built to the rules which were used in UK from 1971 to 1982. I found some pics of the Team Bog chassis and later, to my big surpice, I found out that the other chassis was build by Ross Brawn's HB Products.

This is the Team Bog chassis, which still needs some cleaning:

And this is the HB chassis:

The brass rods at the sides seems to be later additions and will be removed.

After some more cleaning af some hours in my tumbler, the chassis was ready to assemble. I had restored the front wheels and mounted new Alpha rubber on the rear wheels. The motor were replaced with a similar Mura Grp. 20 from my collection.

Next step will be mounting a suitable body :)

I have also restored the B-can Mura from the Team Bog chassis:

The armature has been trued and polished and the can received a new coat of paint. The endbell and hardware was also cleaned before installation.

Now I need to finish to Team Bog chassis and assemble this car also

yours

Niels

·
Registered
977 Posts
Very, very nice !

I have a SCD F32 chassis, restored by the great John Secchi.

As you may know, "Howmet" has copies of some of the old Gt Models bodies and Betta continues to sell the CanAm / GT / SP bodies of the 60's and 70's.

Very best regards !

André Acker.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks André,

I am in contact with John :)

Niels

QUOTE (andre acker @ 23 Apr 2012, 02:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very, very nice !

I have a SCD F32 chassis, restored by the great John Secchi.

As you may know, "Howmet" has copies of some of the old Gt Models bodies and Betta continues to sell the CanAm / GT / SP bodies of the 60's and 70's.

Very best regards !

André Acker.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hi Niels
Nice find!
If you can get a cheap flight you just might make F32 at NLondon this Wednesday night!
The front wheel problem was common with the MRRC hard fronts, the plastic would react with lighter fuel and other fluids used by the racers.
[oneofwos]

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Nice job,Niels! Seeing those chassis' really sent me down memory lane. I actually preferred Chas keeling's (SCD) F32,but I did own several HB. I recall some controversy when people used Faas gears on these instead of Taylormade!
TED

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Blimey Niels
That bog 32 looks better than when it was made
They were 99p each and stuart wyatt did tell me once that he never worked for less than £3 an hour!

Cheers tony

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found a couple more:

found them on e-bay at a reasonable price :)

The chassis seems to be build be different builders, and especially the one with the Mclaren body is a sane and clean build

The bodies are hand decorated and must have looked stunning when new. I think they are painted with Humbrol Enamel which does not work well on clear bodies :-(

more pics:

More pics

anybody recognize these cars ??

Niels, DK

·
Registered
977 Posts
Congratulations, Niels, these are interesting chassis !
I do not know anything about these chassis but the bodies are from Betta (McLaren m20 and Ferrari 312 pb).
Best regards !

André Acker.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Niels: Thanks for posting this, I nearly missed seeing the F32s cos I watch the 'history...' forum more. It's good to see club cars from the early 1970s, plus pics of Mura Group 20s being fettled and it may just inspire me to renovate the several I've also got off e-bay. I've also had a Bog F32 for 40 years that has never yet seen a track!

John: North London F32 nights are occasional Wednesdays are they not? Like this week... when I had to finish a university paper! Finchley is almost as close as Luton to me.

Cheers

Richard
Luton SCC.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
See the NLSME retro calendar for F32 nights, not sure any are left this year but they will be included in 2013.
These cars dont work too bad with modern fish rubber, have found that they work best without any weight added and geared about 5.5:1.
[oneofwos]

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
John: Are you using modern gears? If so, what fits? I see from 'A car for Formula 32' (Ian Fisher, 'Model Cars' magazine April 1971) that the Team Bog chassis was built (I use the term loosely...) for Taylormade 10 or 11 tooth pinions and 47 tooth 20 degree anglewinder gears. At 5.5 to one you're gearing lower than the original 4.7 or 4.3, but that's the way nowadays isn't it? I can always ask Ian tomorrow at the Area 6 Nats. quali. round!

Richard
Luton SCC.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
If you can get your hands on some metal 37 or 38 tooth 64dp Sonic or Fass gears then these will run fine with 7 tooth pinions, the gear diameter should be correct unless someone has lowered the rear axle tube to use small 15mm diameter, in this case use Betta "Mutley" gears.
If your really stuck you can use modern plastic gears but not sure about the reliability with these heavy cars, Ian Fisher should be able to help you.
[oneofwos]

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
John: Thanks for that. In case the drawer full of Taylormades I bought a couple of years back are all worn out I'll know where to go next.

Richard
Luton SCC.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got a Chuck Palmer F32 with a C can Gp.20 that's in immaculate condition. I fitted some JKB's on the car last summer and tried it at Ipswich. I am considering selling my cars as I race hard bodied cars these days. What would be a good price for a car like this?
I also have a Chuck Palmer F1 chassis that is in excellent order again with a C can Gp. 20 motor with a ball raced back axle. My other car is a Phil Enos chassis with a B can Gp. 20 in angle winder with fully ball raced back axle and motor. If any one is interested I can send some pictures.

Nigel.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Really nice !

Is that a Ferrari Dino 246 ?
Who did this one ?

And what a pity that Betta made such an exaggerated bt42, clearly it could be slimmer and the nose could be smaller (on the sides at least).

André Acker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts