SlotForum banner

Two More Mirages

4681 Views 57 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Coides
I posted a 'teaser' for these cars in my thread about my Mirage M3 model and promised more details, so here they are.
Two members of this forum, Chappyman66 and Nimrod444, collaborated to produce 3D prints of three different versions of the 1969 Gulf Mirage prototype sports racer: the M2 coupe in early and later versions, and the M3 roadster. Chappyman was kind enough to print all three versions for me. I built the M3 some time ago and posted the details on this forum. Here are the two M2 coupe shells after a bit of light finishing.
Vehicle Automotive design Input device Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

I like to use wrecked 'donor cars' for the basis of many of my builds. In this case, I used a couple of Scalextric F1s from the 2000s, a David Coulthard McLaren and a Ralf Schumacher Williams. I'd bought the donor cars expecting them to have the slimline FF motors, but found they had, instead, standard Scalextric S-can motors.
Product Toy Gadget Automotive design Machine

Both chassis conversions are similar. I cut off the F1 front end and reduced the wheelbase to match the Mirages, then made a new front chassis from plastic (ABS) sheet about 1.5mm thick, which I had scavenged from some packaging materials.
I join the front and back halves of the chassis with screws. By leaving these screws loos, I can allow the rear half with the motor to flex slightly to give the effect of a motor pod.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Machine

Rectangle Auto part Bumper Fashion accessory Electric blue

I kept the standard Scalextric 'quick change' guide, which works well on my Policar track even though it is rather shallow. I also kept the plastic Scalextric wheels, although I fitted smaller front tyres and ground down the rears to a more-suitable diameter for a 1969 sports car. The 6-spoke F1 wheels are quite close to the design used on the Mirages, so I decided just to paint the spoke orange rather than making new inserts.
I don't like the look of black platforms in the cockpit, so I spent a lot of time grinding the underside of the drivers away and making an interior to fit around the motor. An FF motor would have been much better in this respect, but I was too stubborn to start again or to try to re-engine the chassis I had started with!
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Musical instrument accessory Fashion accessory Shadow Art Carmine

I made the windows from clear packaging material. As always, the little details like engine intakes, filler caps, exhausts and lights took ages to finish, but I finally completed them. I painted the shells with Montana Gold 'Fresh Blue' acrylic aerosol spray and made my own decals on my inkjet printer.
Motor vehicle Digital camera Camera lens Automotive design Camera accessory

The No 51 car represents the BRM-engined car which debuted at the 1969 BOAC 1000Km at Brands Hatch and the No 8 represents the later, Cosworth-engined car which ran at the 1969 Nurburgring 1000Km later that year, all driven by the pairing of Jackie Ickx and Jackie Oliver who, of course, won the Le Mans 24 Hours that year in the Gulf GT40.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

And here are the three cars together:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Predictably, I had trouble initially with the new interiors interfering with the chassis and motor, so I had to resort to more surgery to sort this out. The two new cars now both run well although, unlike the full-size cars, the BRM-engined M2 is faster than either of the others on my short home track, even though the M3 has a yellow flat-6 motor and a Sideways anglewinder chassis!.

Any thought or comments welcome!

Mike
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Beautiful work....I wondered about the chassis choice so thanks for sharing that.
Which decal paper are you using?
Reactions: 1
Nice work. I mean, converting the F1 chassis to fit under these...i would have never thought of that.
Reactions: 2
Bloody nice result, three is better than one!!!
Beautiful work....I wondered about the chassis choice so thanks for sharing that.
Which decal paper are you using?
Thanks!
I bought the white decal paper a while ago from an UK internet seller called Mr Decal Paper. It works pretty well, especially for conforming to complex curves, because it is very thin. The downside is that it usually needs two layers for things like numbers, otherwise the colour underneath shows through the white.
Mike
Reactions: 3
Really beautiful work Mate
If you have a little paint and decal paper left over and if you like the car, the Mirage M6 coupe is waiting.
Thanks again for sharing

Cheers
NimROD
There is always room on the print bed for a Mirage. It's a fabulous file. These are in Any cubic Tough.

Wood Trigger Gas Gun accessory Font
See less See more
  • Love
Nice - but what I’d really like to see is a MCLAREN M6GT……….😸

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Car
See less See more
Reactions: 4
Yes there is a file for that too.
This was an early test.
Computer Motor vehicle Peripheral Hood Input device
See less See more
Very nice work!
Here's a pic of the MK 3 at Nuremberg 1000km.
Cheers,
John.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design
See less See more
Reactions: 4
Just to tease more....M6 Coupe. Test Day decals are drying overnight for application tomorrow.
Wheel Car Hood Vehicle Tire
See less See more
Abfab, Paul. That looks terrific. A few more pics would be nice, please, if you have time to take some.
Laurence, you are more than kind. I will post a few more tonight once it's done.
Thanks, Paul. Look forward to seeing them. Your model looks fantastic.
Still no bed for you, Laurence?
No Mark. Revised schedule for Sunday or Monday. Thanks for asking. Got a little more time messing around and trying to keep as fit as possible. Medical staff also fantastic but their knowledge of slot cars needs brushing up. Only too happy to oblige...
Reactions: 3
1 - 20 of 58 Posts