SlotForum banner

Tyco Magnet Zapping

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Gareth 
#1 ·
Does anyone know who can 'zap' the magnets in this country? and what's the cost?

cheers
Paul

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Zapping magnets simply restores magnets to full strength.
You'd expect they started out from new at full strength, and may deteriorate a bit with age and use.
If the mags are more or less still at full strength, there's no point in zapping them.

Magnets should be zapped in the direction they are already magnetised. If the operator makes a mistake and puts them in the machine backwards the direction of magnetisation will be reversed.

#15 ·
I think the best way to do the zapping is to send one set of magnets at a time, even better if you know they are matched.

By doing some laps before and after you can quantify the gain. I don't think you will be able to 'feel' much difference, bu the stopwatch will reveal all.

The motor mags being incorrectly zapped is a mistake, and one that suprises me.

#19 ·
Alright geezers,

Blast from the past in terms of threads but Jon and I have been mucking about with Tycos so I was looking at some of the older threads for some advice.

Anyway magnet zapping. All well and good and it makes sense to me in theory but how do you know which magnets are deteriorated and therefore need zapping? How do you tell if they are deteriorated or were just weak in the first place?

Also, does anyone know what value in grams, a Tyco magnet new would read as?

For example my motor magnets variously read between 25 and 30 grams of downforce on an On Balance DK-1000 scale. Is that good or bad?

My traction magnets are between 12 and 14 grams.

Anyone have any idea what good values are?

Cheers

Gareth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.