SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the little Xylon is complete and safely behind bars I have resumed work on my 1960's F1 Cooper-Maserati. The intention is to model Jo Bonnier's privately entered car in "long nose" form as displayed as part of the Donington Collection. I decided to make the whole thing from scratch: shell and chassis, so here is the story so far...

I began by making a small card container to the size of the car allowing an extra 1mm or so all round. The inside was lined with plastic tape to stop the plaster sticking and I added a little black tape just to indicate the fill level corresponding to the height of the car, again plus 1mm. I then poured in the plaster and, once it had set, cut the container as shown to release the block.

Using plans for reference, I shaped the damp plaster to roughly the correct dimensions - apart from the gearbox which is rather bulbous (also tapered) to hide the slot car gears.

Fittings and details were constructed using a combination of brass tubing, plasticard and my favourite DAS air drying modelling clay. I decided not to include any markings for the "bonnet" vent cut-outs as these varied considerably from race to race, car to car. I did however include the raised scoop as this will be easy to sand flat if required for a particular prototype. I have also marked holes to indicate where the exhausts, roll bar, mirrors and suspension arms will eventually fit. At this stage I also added a piece of balsa to the underside. This is important as I am going to slush cast the shell in resin and this will form a "lip" on the eventual mould that will help minimize the liquid resin escaping. It is not a pod!

Next up the shell is placed in the bottom of another plastic tape lined box and secured in place with double sided tape. A release agent was also sprayed over the shell prior to adding the silicone:

...24 hours later and Yahay! ...a female mould ready for slush casting.

The shell was made by slushing liquid resin around the mould. In this case I used three lots of resin to build up the required thickness. Here then is the cast shell primed and with some initial detailing:

In fact the intakes didn't come out at all well in the resin and I had to remake them from brass tube. A lesson learnt! I have also sanded off the raised bonnet scoop and added some cut outs as per Jo Bonnier's privately entered car. The exhausts shown are made from a combination of 13 amp single core and bell wire soldered and massaged to shape with Green Stuff. The oval shaped piece is an insert to reinforce the nose.

More as the story unfolds...

·
Registered
153 Posts
John,

That's just incredible.
I can't even describe how impressed I am. I'm in awe of people such as yourself. I can't even build a darn wing for my Ferrari (which I'm about to give up on; for now anyway).

Again, stupendous work!

Steve

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Fantastic workmanship, JP!

Steve, please don't give up hope! Fortunately, Charlie Fitzpatrick of Betta & Classic makes excellent bodies for people like you and me!

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Wonderful multi skilled work John and really helpful step by step photos. Is the shell scale or have you designed it with a specific motor in mind?

I'm sure you have been to the Donington Collection to see the actual car in the flesh but here's a couple of nice shots of Bonniers 81 in before and after condition.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (PastimeRaceway @ 2 Aug 2004, 04:53)I can't even build a darn wing for my Ferrari
Steve your scenic track is superb which demonstrate your model-making talents. As Russell says don't give up, it is trial and error for everyone on this forum and you will get there. I can't believe how much I've learnt from others work since joining the messageboard just a few months ago.

David

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hold your horses Alan, let's see how it turns out first! At least I've now got David's Spa version to fall back on if it all goes terribly wrong!

Well, thanks for the very kind words everyone - I'm really feeling under pressure now. Good job I have my new Zoot Horn Rollo CD and other basket weaving and pool cleaning hobbies to help me relax

David, the Cooper is scale so although there is plenty of width, the car is too shallow for a Scaley motor. I have to say that I'm quite happy with the little Go! motor though and intend to use one in this car. On my home track the mini-motored Xylon (did anyone mention how tiny that car is?) has lapped in just 3.0 seconds - 0.3 off the record held by a Carrera F1 Ferrari and 0.2 off the Scaley F1 Renault! That's all with magnet of course.

And Steve, don't give up on that wing! There are plenty of flaws in my Cooper here and there will be many more by the time I've finished believe me! It's nice to be accurate but I think the trick is not to get bogged down in the detail - just go for an overall representation and it'll all look fine

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
This is fantastic stuff, JP!
I agree with Beejay that the Resources section could use an article on your efforts with this.

If I tried making a body from scratch, the result would likely look like a CooFerMcLarEagle...

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
No excuses JP!....You are getting as bad as Howmet.....

What we need is details. What materials did you use to create the female mould, what release agent, and what "slosh" resin.....Name the names.I would love to have a go at this, there are some really nice 1/32nd dicasts of the Japanese J cars that are just dying to be turned into Slot cars.

Fergy and I will require the idiots guide version I'm afraid,.

Regards

Alan

PS that shell is crying out for a MOTOGP motor......

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE No excuses JP!....You are getting as bad as Howmet.....
Alan, you've not been paying attention in class

Complete Resin Casting Starter Kit, Where to buy in the UK?

I also used Ambersil DP 100/2 release agent again from Tiranti. But make your own model from plans... it's really a lot easier than you might think!

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Thanks John.....I HAD forgotten this article. I don't have any excuse not to try it now.

David, did you not know I have taken over from Moped as Scalextric's "champion" on this Forum ?,

Also you should know that I've asked them to make a special high performance version for Fergy, although we have only got it to rev to 100K so I'm not sure if that will be enough for him.

Seriously, these little motors( did I mention how Tiny they are?), are great value at only £4.75, much better than the current Slot.It, Fly , standard Scalextric motors, and run well in in-line or sidewinder setups, (oh dear I'm starting to sound like Moped !
). I wouldn't suggest they would be any use for Club Racing but they are very good as an NC1 alternative for the typical Home User, (although I understand Ninco may be stopping production of the NC-1).

Regards

Alan

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I've asked them to make a special high performance version for Fergy, although we have only got it to rev to 100K

Hmmmm.... a little weak, but.... might be enough for a CooFerMcLarEagle...

1 - 20 of 92 Posts