SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you have used these motors. But having had 5 Blow on me. Yes, 5 over the past 8 Months. I thought I would ask the question. Latest one just a few hours ago. Anybody else having problems with them?
They have all been 18K's. the 21K seems fine. The first one let go back in May last year.

Track Voltage is standard 15.97VDC Hornby Wall Wart. And with the layout I have, I would guess the max would be no more than 12v on the main stright. It's not long enough to hit 16. apart from a blip.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Not had any problems with either 18k or 21k, but I only run about a dozen of the 18s and less of the 21s.

I'd suggest you send an email to Jules via the Pioneer site, or PM him here. I'm sure he'd like to know if you're having an excessively high failure rate. And 5 in 8 months seems excessively high.

Embs

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi ,
the typhoon 18k comes as two versions,the "QS" high torque(a first rate motor ) and the bullitt spec (low torque...gutless version)
in my group we have used over 60 of the QS 18k motors and had only 2 that were a bit down on power .
Note : its not the (high)voltage that will burn out a motor, its usually the ( inadequate)low current supply that will do it.
I'd be looking at that power supply closely!
PS we have also used a couple of dozen 21K versions....also very good
All the best,
Barry

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
These are the OLD type, I guess. The QS is new to me. Will look them up.
Track is less than 12Mtr ( 39') and has a tap around the 6Mtr mark.
These motors are NOT in Pioneer cars, but scratch builds or have replaced a Mabuchi. In fact the first one to go was for the RAA proxy. I sensed it had lost power before I had sent it off. but put that down to the track I was testing on was far lower voltage than it was used to. On testing over the pond, it was found to be ill. (Air sick from the flight over)
Sorry to disappoint. But, all my cars are Mag-Less. To me, mags just slow the car down and put unnecessary strain on the motor.

QUOTE hi ,
------------------------------------
Note : its not the (high)voltage that will burn out a motor, its usually the ( inadequate)low current supply that will do it.
I'd be looking at that power supply closely!
--------------------------
All the best,
Barry
Checked this a few time. But if this is/was the case, Why only Typhoon 18K's? Why not NSR, NINCO, Slot.it etc? Never had a problem with any of them.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
I have lost 2 typhoon motors in my bullitt mustang, but both were very well used. they didnt stop altogether but gradually lost power over time till they became really slow. The only other motor i have had do this is the long armed one in my scalextric corvette. replaced the typhoon in my bullit with an nsr motor, its no faster but i think it will last longer.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Ironman. Yes, they seem to loose power, then just stop. I have replaced all my Pioneer cars with either Slot it or the Typhoon 21K.
The weird thing is. March 11 we had a 12 hour race with 6 Mustangs. The cars did not stop. apart from 4 pit stops to change tyres. all cars, tyres did take it a bit. A gear came loose on one. Braids fell out. But that was about all. Motors where fine. Not too sure what voltage we ran at, might have been low.

12 race pics

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Very interesting. They have bad form and nobody has mentioned this to the fella who makes these cars? Thanks for kicking off this informative thread.

Is anyone ruining them by doing something daft like 'running in' under water, or in some other liquid. Or is anyone glooping them up by lubricating with oil?

I've not used mine for that many laps and have no issues to report. They seem to run really well and smoothly.

By the way, is that 'QS' high torque and low torque actually real, or just imagined guesswork? Surely if the goods are two different things a manufacturer cannot brand and sell two different things under the same spec and description? What are you basing this distinction upon?

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
I did nothing dodgy to my pioneer motors and cant say for sure if they are bad quality or if they just have a short lifespan or if I just got a dodgy pair. I know more people who have not had any problems, but then they might not have driven their as much as me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dear screw neck...I havent imagined anything....to answer your question have a look at innaslot website...spares ...motors .
You' ll find the 21k, the QS 18k, and the LT 18k( sold as the original "bullitt spec" motor with lower power.
its very basic research.
As I said our racing group have used over 60 of the QS motors with very little problem, we also use the 21k in one of our classes...we received, by accident ,some of the LT motors and found them pretty well down on torque and general performance( bearing in mind that we pretty well race only scratch built metal chassis cars on a fairly large wood track with individual regulated lab type power supplies for each lane...we race hard.
We have found the pioneer typhoon motors have been some of the best overall performers ,bar none....thats just our experiance .... not imagined... a simple comment for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The motor I have is a QS 18K. I have taken her apart and given her a good clean. Check the Ohms reading between each com. 3.2, 3.2, 2.6 Ohms. I think they should be around the 3.5 - 4.5 Ohms. Reassembled and tested. She keeps to a steady 15K now. But that's way off the 10% mark I would expect. This motor has not run for that many hours, when I think how many hours other motors we run have done, and still pull well within the 10% of the makers spec. Wish I had kept the other 4, but one is still out in the USA.
These motors do come out on spec better than most. the 18K runs at 18,967rpm, with 131CGM and gives 6.20 Watts. And i do like them, but the failure rate does seem high.
This one must have a short across a com. I will investigate this later today.
None of these Typhoon motors, the dead ones or the runners have really been driven hard. None have raced.
There were 3 running in last years RAA. in the GT2 class. (Well 2, would have been 3 if mine had held together). 1 came first the, other came 4th. so over a 10 track season. That says a lot for this motor. Just seems a few a bad.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Hi all,

The debate on the reliability of any makers motors could on on for ever. It would be impossible to replicate and test every circumstance of use.

Saviour does seem to have had a bizarre high rate of failure which is somewhat disconcerting to learn of.

I have always promised a complete warranty cover on the electrical aspect of Pioneer models and this covers the motors.

We send out a couple of motors a month to replace either very slow motors or ones that have just died.

So, PM me and tell me what the problems are and all will be sorted out.

Thanks chaps.

Jules

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
QUOTE Pioneer Said:
Hi all,
The debate on the reliability of any makers motors could on on for ever. It would be impossible to replicate and test every circumstance of use.
Saviour does seem to have had a bizarre high rate of failure which is somewhat disconcerting to learn of.
I have always promised a complete warranty cover on the electrical aspect of Pioneer models and this covers the motors.
We send out a couple of motors a month to replace either very slow motors or ones that have just died.
So, PM me and tell me what the problems are and all will be sorted out.
Thanks chaps.
Jules

Can't say fairer than that can you guys? Nice service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.