SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you have used these motors. But having had 5 Blow on me. Yes, 5 over the past 8 Months. I thought I would ask the question. Latest one just a few hours ago. Anybody else having problems with them?
They have all been 18K's. the 21K seems fine. The first one let go back in May last year.

Track Voltage is standard 15.97VDC Hornby Wall Wart. And with the layout I have, I would guess the max would be no more than 12v on the main stright. It's not long enough to hit 16. apart from a blip.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
These are the OLD type, I guess. The QS is new to me. Will look them up.
Track is less than 12Mtr ( 39') and has a tap around the 6Mtr mark.
These motors are NOT in Pioneer cars, but scratch builds or have replaced a Mabuchi. In fact the first one to go was for the RAA proxy. I sensed it had lost power before I had sent it off. but put that down to the track I was testing on was far lower voltage than it was used to. On testing over the pond, it was found to be ill. (Air sick from the flight over)
Sorry to disappoint. But, all my cars are Mag-Less. To me, mags just slow the car down and put unnecessary strain on the motor.

QUOTE hi ,
------------------------------------
Note : its not the (high)voltage that will burn out a motor, its usually the ( inadequate)low current supply that will do it.
I'd be looking at that power supply closely!
--------------------------
All the best,
Barry
Checked this a few time. But if this is/was the case, Why only Typhoon 18K's? Why not NSR, NINCO, Slot.it etc? Never had a problem with any of them.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Ironman. Yes, they seem to loose power, then just stop. I have replaced all my Pioneer cars with either Slot it or the Typhoon 21K.
The weird thing is. March 11 we had a 12 hour race with 6 Mustangs. The cars did not stop. apart from 4 pit stops to change tyres. all cars, tyres did take it a bit. A gear came loose on one. Braids fell out. But that was about all. Motors where fine. Not too sure what voltage we ran at, might have been low.

12 race pics

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The motor I have is a QS 18K. I have taken her apart and given her a good clean. Check the Ohms reading between each com. 3.2, 3.2, 2.6 Ohms. I think they should be around the 3.5 - 4.5 Ohms. Reassembled and tested. She keeps to a steady 15K now. But that's way off the 10% mark I would expect. This motor has not run for that many hours, when I think how many hours other motors we run have done, and still pull well within the 10% of the makers spec. Wish I had kept the other 4, but one is still out in the USA.
These motors do come out on spec better than most. the 18K runs at 18,967rpm, with 131CGM and gives 6.20 Watts. And i do like them, but the failure rate does seem high.
This one must have a short across a com. I will investigate this later today.
None of these Typhoon motors, the dead ones or the runners have really been driven hard. None have raced.
There were 3 running in last years RAA. in the GT2 class. (Well 2, would have been 3 if mine had held together). 1 came first the, other came 4th. so over a 10 track season. That says a lot for this motor. Just seems a few a bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts