SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having done a search on the subject , i see its been well covered but no-one , that i've seen , has mentioned using pva? i'm not racing but just looking to secure a few wayward tyres (scalextric on std plastic rims) in a "good enough but non permanent" way and i thought that it would be ideal.....or am i missing something?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
When I tried PVA it didn't seem to adhere to the plastic rim, plus I don't think it even 'went off' and most of it was still wet after a couple of days.

I've not really found a great solution yet but going to try gorilla super glue that is rubber toughened next.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
If you are looking for non-permanent - have you tried good old Copydex (or as Blue Peter used to call it "rubber solution glue")?

Can you even get Copydex any more?

I seem to recall the smell of ammonia from Copydex - not sure what that would do to various tyre compounds! Might be worth a try though.

Wilkinsons also do a surprisingly wide range of glues including slow setting superglues AND a superglue removal gel. They also do less aggressive glues so you might find something to suit you if you can find a branch near you.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The rather limited adhesion of PVA to the wheel and tyre may be sufficient for that use.
Why not try it and tell us how you get on.

For a lot of types of slot car, the rather limited adhesion of PVA to the wheel and tyre is wholly inadequate which is why a lot of racers often use something with a lot more adhesion.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
Peter, why are you looking for "non permanent"? Are you thinking of changing tyres before they are totally shot?
If not, I'd go with a sparing application of super glue, it isn't impossible to remove it and any left over bits of tyre from the rim.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aaaahh....copydex....theres a smell from my chidhood. rates up there with hessian!!!!

i didnt want to go down the wheel trashing permanent route and my reasoning towards pva was that it shouldnt
attack either tyre or plastic rim.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,
Henkel make a water soluble gel known in South Africa as "Power Pritt"
It is actually a paper/card glue.I have stuck tyres on plastic rims and the gel holds.The tyre can be removed quite eaily if need be.The beauty about this stuff is that unlike super glue or other contact adhesives it does not attack or stain plastic.
I have used it to stick on wings,mirrors,bumpers etc..a little rub with warm water will remove any excess even after setting
I am sure you know that superglue and SCX are not good friends.They should have a warning on the tube
I have a number of cars and the windows will not clear even when the demister is on
Cheers
Bryan

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
these are puppies that i need to tame the most. they keep peeling off on the kerbs on my scalex sport track.

i think a play is in order....i cant see it damaging the tyres in any way. worst news is that it wont work!

·
Registered
377 Posts
we found a flexible 'super glue' that does not go hard and it says on the packet for gluying rubber to metal!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Flexible 'super glue' is excellent for gluing on tyres - for example it is the best thing I've found for NSR rubber.

petestrike seems to be looking for something that doesn't stick as well as that, so it probably doesn't suit his requirement.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

Looks like Petestrike will have to take his green meanie to a Hi Q tyre fitment centre.
Let us into the glue "secret" please.I promise I will not tell the sniffers .

Cheers
Bryan

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can now confirm , after a sound scientific study (ok , a bl**dy good thrashing) that pva works a treat!

& no , it wasn't the cause of the colour change!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts