SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
A couple of my cars have too soft front tyres.
They grip too well, when in corners the front digs-in and the car rolls out of the slot.

On other cars I've successfully cured the problem by fitting Slot.It Z0s, but they don't fit these particular cars. I don't want to change the wheels as the cars in question are classics and bigger/wider wheels won't look right.

I've tried lacquering the tyres and it works for a while (maybe 30 laps) but the lacquer wears off and the problem rears it's ugly head again. So far I've used Revell Aqua Colour lacquer. Are there any alternatives, or will I just have to keep re-applying the lacquer every couple of days? Is clear nail varnish any harder wearing?

Are there any other methods for making tyres less grippy?

TIA

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
A tip shared over here was to roll the front wheels through super glue to harden them. It works well, the person who passed on the tip is an Australian Champion.

just don't grab them until after the glue has dried

cheers
David

·
Registered
442 Posts
My son and I raid the purses of my wife and daughter for their clear nail polish, which we then paint onto the fronts.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Hi what we do is first glue and true the tyre than coat with several layers of superglue allowing enough time for each coat to dry prior to adding a second coat. Adding the super glue can be done by placing a small amount on a slotcar box plastic box lid and slowley rotating the tyre through the glue (one tyre at a time) then roll the wheel over a section of the lid which is superglue free.

Be careful to ensure you get an even coat and that each rim/tryer has the same dia of superglue on it.

I take it a little further by polishing the superglued tyres to a smoth and shiny finish by using wet and dry paper and a little water initially followed by a polish with a lint free rag. Ensure als that you do not have the tyre edges too sharp by rounding them off with sand paper or emery board. I use two truing machine Slotcars.it and NSR both are great for this but I do not use their sanding plates or rollers to eaven out the superglue as this clogs the surfaceof the machines.

Works a treat and last a long time. Nail polish works but needs regular replacement.

I have tried all of the Zero grip tyres which work well upto a point if you have an abrasive racing surface like ferridor the fronts get warm and pickup marbles, you do not get this with superglue.

Ray

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
You can put superglue on a Q-tip and apply. It works, but be quick as there can sometimes be smoke involved

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
use a slow setting ca glue. as well as coating, i use it to glue tyres to the rims, it gives you time to rotate the tyre and make sure their seated properly.i use vitalbond ca thick with a 45sec grab time from budpack on ebay £3.49 delivered john

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Great question as I am encountering the same issues. I had heard about the nail polish solution but never the super glue one. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since my last post, I've hit on something that seems to work for me...............

Sally Hansen Hard As Nails.

....... I must admit I haven't tried the SuperGlue option yet. If the nail stuff starts to wear off, I'll try SuperGlue as a comparison.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
Has anybody ever made a silicone mould and moulded a complete wheel/tyre combo then cast it in resin? that would give you zero grip! And it would never wear off.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 12 Jun 2012, 23:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anybody ever made a silicone mould and moulded a complete wheel/tyre combo then cast it in resin? that would give you zero grip! And it would never wear off.

Some Aussies make front wheels from black Delrin, but they rattle horribly!

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
Been searching the forum for the exact opposite of what people normally aim for... I also want less grip on the front tyres.

Found this thread which, like many others, recommends coating the tyres. I already do this regularly, and it works very well - but, what if I want to achieve the same without the nail polish or superglue? Isn't it possible to 'age' rubber tyres and achieve the same effect without the additional noise that coating provides... and, with less questioning looks from the curious lady at the local make-up shop?

·
David H
3,724 Posts
Jay-bl, that's the same question that I've had for ages; how to make tyres less grippy. I'm not interested in the front tyres though, I want less grip on the rears, Revell/Monogram and Carrera NASCAR tyres specifically, but don't want to coat them with anything.

I know many tyres harden with age, but I don't want to wait another ten years and some of my Rev/Mon and Carrera cars have too much grip for my liking.

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 6 Jan 2017, 17:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know many tyres harden with age, but I don't want to wait another ten years...
Yep... my thoughts exactly, LoL!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
QUOTE I want less grip on the rears,

What about rally controlled grip tyres? Size probably not right though?

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
LoL... those are certainly fun, Mike - I remember trying them out at the UKSF on one of the Rally Stages!

I reckon it's fair to say we've got replacing tyre and coating tyre options pretty well covered, though - what we're looking for here is some way of hardening them to reduce grip... any ideas?

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,607 Posts
Superglue then quickly sprinkle/rub bicarb powder in, leave it a few seconds once the glue is covered then retrue it. Bicarb and superglue is tough!

...or another one that works well is rustins boat varnish, a small tin will last years and can be reapplied with a soft brush or finger.

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
Yep, that sounds like another great tyre coating - and although there are many threads on that topic, I've never thought to use baking soda - but, what we're looking for here is some way of hardening them to reduce grip... without coating or replacing them.

·
Electric model car driver
1,353 Posts
Would reducing the contact patch by grooving the tyres be worth considering? Less contact patch should be equivalent to less grip? Groove them with a scalpel on a tyre truing machine. Also, round the edges of front tyres.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,607 Posts
Why faff about treating the tyres with the hope of hardening the rubber, why not just get zero grips or delrin...or get urethanes and wait a few years whilst they go rock hard.

...or you could spend 20 seconds re-coating them once every 3 months, or is that too much bother?

·
David H
3,724 Posts
QUOTE (Kevan @ 7 Jan 2017, 23:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...or you could spend 20 seconds re-coating them once every 3 months, or is that too much bother?
Have you bothered to read the posts to which you are replying?

We're not asking for advice on how to coat tyres or how to reduce their grip to zero, but how to make standard tyres less grippy without coating them in anything. We don't won't zero grip. We don't want coating. We don't want to replace the tyres. We simply want to make the original tyres have less grip than they have as standard. Less, not zero. Not as much, not none.

If you can be bothered, perhaps you can share any ideas you may have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts