SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
The best way is to cut it in half, make sure you have a parent with you if you are using sharp knives and measure it.

·
Rich Dumas
3,589 Posts
Aftermarket tires are made to fit specific wheels and there are fitment charts available to help you find the right aftermarket tires to fit your wheels. Slot Car Corner has charts for Supertires and Professor motor has a Quick Links section, look under Information Central, then Tire Central. Slot.it wheels are very popular and a number of makers have wheels that are the same dimentions as those. If you want factory replacement tires the larger dealers may have them in stock.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE Aftermarket tires are made to fit specific wheels

I have to partly disagree with this statement. It is not really any different to 1:1 cars.

With the exception of Scalextric and Carrera, in my experience any of the most common size 19 x 10 and say 18 x10 etc. aftermarket tires will fit any wheel that is say at least 8mm or 9mm wide of 16, 16.6 or 17mm dia etc.. That works for cars from most European manufacturers like Fly, Spirit, MSC, Sloter, Sideways, Avant Slot, Ninco, NSR et al..

To use Slot.it as an example because their website used to show it. For rear tires, any slot.it tire will fit any slot.it wheel. Because they stretch. So one can get lower profile by using smaller tires or wider tyres by swapping 19x10 for 20x12.
Like wise any manufacturer's tires stretch. This works for any tires from MBslot, Sloting Plus, HobbySlot, Ninco, Cartrix, and the list goes on. There is no magic. I use Ninco front tires on the rear of a Sloter car as an example. So they are not specific to Ninco nor are they specifically front tires.

Yes this doesn't work for F1 cars and/or say cars with "non standard" small wheels like say a Renault R5 Turbo. But that is obvious simply by comparing it next to another car.

The most important tool for slot cars as a hobby is a vernier or digital caliper so wheels can be measured. I saw a small 70mm one yesterday for less then $20 so they are not out of reach price wise. This will also help with axle lengths, pinions etc. Once one starts to measure wheels it all become clear.

The specific tires for specific cars/wheels is somewhat of a misnomer and propagated in part by the way by the DIY mould in a shed Urethane suppliers list their wares.. They don't necessarily mislead but also don't always cross reference. So one can buy tires for two different cars and end up with two sets of ties exactly the same. Slot Car Corner does cross reference and has useful info on its site.

It all comes down to how much effort one is willing to put in, whether one wishes to understand or not.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i,ve just got 2 pairs of ninco ally evo 18 wheels. they measure 18mm across the ribbed tops and 16mm where the tyre seats. i want some low profile urethanes. so what size fits them. 18mm or 16mm. john

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
And they are 10mm wide correct. That is the key dimension. If this is not a trick question the serrated ridges are 6.0mm wide which is a bit wider than "normal"

The ones I have on an SCX car have SCX 20 x 10.5 I has an OD of 21mm just tried an

NSR Ultra Grip 19x 10and it comes out to 19.5 dia
NSR UltraGrip 20 x11 come out at 20mm but are bulbous looking and over hang the side a tad.

Ninco 19x10 will stretch on and come out to 19.5.
Ninco 20.5 x 11.5 shore A-25 fit and come ut at 20.5 diameter.

Slot.it 19x10 or 20x12 but need to be trued as the edges are a tad high.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
And they are 10mm wide correct, that is the key dimension. Mine are the old one with the rectangular perforations. The serrated ridges on mine are 6.0mm wide which is a bit wider than the 5 or 5.5 "normal"

The ones I have on an SCX 4x4 car have SCX 20 x 10.5 and have an OD of 21mm

It's a slow Sunday so just tried:

NSR Ultra Grip 19x10 and it comes out to 19.5 dia
NSR UltraGrip 20x11 come out at 20mm but at 11mm are bulbous looking and over hang the side a tad. (This also happens if one puts 20x12 slot.it tires on 10mm wide slot.it rims)

Ninco (obvious) 19x10 will stretch on and come out to 19.5.
Ninco 20.5 x 11.5 shore A-25 fit and come ut at 20.5 diameter.

Slot.it 19x10 or 20x12 fit but need to be trued as the edges are a tad high. This is for P6 and S2

EDIT: still Sunday and still slow MBSlot 19x10 at 20mm. need trueing but not as much as Slot.it

I didn't try the MBSlot 19 x 8.5 or the HobbtSlot 19x8 tires I have as they would be too narrow.

All the above are slicks not ribbed tyres.

If you are racing the choice will be determined by track and compound.

·
Rich Dumas
3,589 Posts
What complicates things with 1/32nd wheels is that they usually have a center ridge and the height and width of the center ridge is not standardized. Wheels with the same diameter and width by different makers are likely tho have different center ridges so it could be difficult to interchange tires. The situation might be similar to sticking your foot into the wrong sized shoe. Just because you can get your feet into the shoes doesn't mean that you would want to take an all day hike in them. If you actually race your cars you would tend to be more fussy about your tires. If a tire is not a proper fit on the wheel it might want to move around or be distorted. Tires can be glued in place and/or sanded to compensate for any distortion. You are not always going to find an exact match, with BBs like this one you will often be able to find the best match.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
cheers mike, i useually get my urethanes from paul G. this info is a big help. its strange but youd think the manufactures of aftermarket tyres would put all the info up. like od, id, width, and centre rib width.. your absolutely correct with your dimensions for the ally wheels, but if i ordered 20mm od tyres by 10mm wide,you,d have to take a chance that the id is 16mm with a 6mm or over rib cut out. more info would be use full. i can allways turn off the ribs and stretch solid urethanes on. john

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I am not sure if one considers Ortmans Urethane or Silicone as I am not a materials scientist.

I just checked the ones I have and I have not used any other? urethanes like Paul's. I only use 49a Ortmans which are 19x10 Ninco on some HobbtSlot 15X8 wheels (packet market 15x5 go figure). They are bulbous but work on a Caterham that had a bent axle. The 49a tyres also fit 16x10 and 17x10 wheels also HobbtSlot

I tried these Ortmans on the Evo wheels

51 = Slot.it 20x11
41c= Sloter Lola 9 measured at 10x10)
49a=Ninco 20x10
49d Ninco 19x10

NONE fit

They do not stretch width-ways like the material used for "conventional" tires over the 6mm wide ridges.

The Ninco rims we have are 17.4 OD with the on car showing diameter at 15mm. If I turn my SCX 20x10.5 tires inside out the "groove" on the inside measures 6mm

What you are looking for then doing this the make and model way not the size way is tires for SCX Audi 90 or front tyres from the SCX F1 cars of the 80s/90s (Ferrari F1/87, Mclaren MP4, Minardi and Jordan)

In case it helps, the part no. for a pack of 4 is 8614.

My Audi tires

If urethanes stretch then Paul's Slot.it tires will fit. Should you decide not to use urethanes then NSR UltraGrips.

·
Rich Dumas
3,589 Posts
I am a retired chemist, I once had some Ortmann tires analyzed by EDS (Electron Dispersive Spectrometry) and they turned out to be urethane. Ortmann has used at least three different urethane formulations over the years. The oldest formulation seems to be the preferred one.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i,m glad mike gave me some pretty usefull info, other than the few he mentioned i still dont know what size of aftermarket tyres to order do any of the ,pure rubber, urethane, manufacturers do an actual tyre size, with full dimensios of the the tyres charts. i know i,ve seen a couple, just cant remember where. anyone have the info to hand, it would be much apreciated. one last thing where the hell can i get renault 5 turbo rear tyres to fit the skinny wall location for the fly model. john

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
I'm one of the DIY mould brigade! But I mould tyres for my own and our club use rather than general sale.

When I get a new car that I know I am going to drive a lot and it has a different tyre size from my existing moulds - I immediately take the tyres off and make a set of silicone moulds. I then make tyres in whatever urethane hardness seems appropriate for that car and fit these to the car. I store the original rubber in case I need to make another mould.

Believe it or not- it is actually CHEAPER to make a silicone mould and one set of urethanes than it is to buy a replacement set of tyres. After that the unit price of tyres drops dramatically as each mould can be used at least 100 times.

This doesn't work for open wheel cars because the inside edges of the tyres are poorly finished on open mould casting and look horrible on the car. But for enclosed body cars the inside edge is not visible and the tyres are indistinguishable from the originals to look at. They perform way better.

All my classic Scalextric cars that run on small or large superslix now run on Shore A20 or Shore A50 urethane and grip new Sport track as competently as rubber grips the rougher Classic track.

Oh and if you are thinking you couldn't do it - I work in an office job. I am no engineer but the process is so straightforward it should be within most peoples' capabilities.

It's really satisfying driving your own tyres - especially if the other racers are running standard rubber and wondering why you are always half a second a lap quicker than they are!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
mr modifier, thats got me thinking. i,ll put it high up on THE list. but i,ve got to finish the tyre truer i,m making at the moment, first. then i,ll have a crack at moulding. john

1 - 15 of 15 Posts