SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
At Norwich we discourage people from putting their cars on the track with tyres wet with oil. But I don't think it does any real harm - just looks horrible! I usually oil my tyres during the day before I race and then just clean them with lighter fluid between races..... We race on wood.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,542 Posts
Freshly oiled tyres is completely a waste of time, if you're going to put oil on they need a few hours. Koala klaws, lighter fluid or slotcartel race day fluids work on on the night but don't actually treat the rubber as such.
Once properly dry they seem to give the next car on that lane a slight grip improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Freshly oiled tyres is completely a waste of time, if you're going to put oil on they need a few hours. Koala klaws, lighter fluid or slotcartel race day fluids work on on the night but don't actually treat the rubber as such.
Once properly dry they seem to give the next car on that lane a slight grip improvement.
Kevan, I have seen somewhere you use 3 in 1 oil, when used as you have suggested in another thread does it leave a residue on the track?

·
Rich Dumas
3,788 Posts
The best tire treatments soak into the tire and soften the rubber. If there is nothing left on the surface of the tire then there will be nothing to get on the track except possibly rubber dust. Rubber tires work best on a track that has been rubbered in, so you would probably want to avoid cleaning the track with anything that might remove the conditioning. Tracks that have been painted with a water based emulsion type finish seem to be immune to damage from any cleaner that you might use.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a thought...

Using 3 in 1, If I had say a week until race night and wanted the tyres to be at there optimum would I apply the oil daily or every other day or just once a week before?

I guess the effect will wear off in time and so reapplication will be required

Dave

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your questions are asking for very definite answers that no-one truly has. There is a lot of voodoo talk and ritual when it comes to tyre treatment.

Some people set up a rig that rolls tyres against each other for hours, with a small oil bath to keep them oily.

Personally I (due to being a student all my time in my slot racing career) would just have the car on the desk next to my keyboard a day or 2 before the race event, and I'd add some oil to the tyres and smudge it around the tyre with my thumb, during typing breaks, then let it dry/absorb/whatever it does. Seemed to work. I am sure someone else will definitely think that this method is wrong, because they do theirs a different way and that also seems to work.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Can anyone tell me if treating rubber tyres with oil leaves any residue on the race surface or has any detrimental effect at all on the track, thinking specifically about wood
Rubber tyres whether treated with oil or not do leave a deposit on the track. "Rubbered in" tracks are where the cars have laid a reasonable amount of this deposit. As has been said above, rubber tires work best on a track that has been rubbered in. If everybody is using similar sorts of tyre, the track conditions will settle down to suit that sort of tyre. If a wide variety of different tyres are used there can be problems with some sorts gripping better and same worse as the deposits are built up or removed..
Generally softer rubber tyres deposit rubber on the track faster than harder rubber. So tyres that have been softened with oil will tend to rubber in a track a little faster. The track surface has a big influence on how fast it rubbers in.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,542 Posts
I don't have a tyre treatment machine either. NSR advise oiling tyres daily for at least a week. I do mine 2 or 3 times the first week then once a week after I've started racing that car. Don't oil extreme soft tyres though!

·
re member
4,235 Posts
Tracks that have been painted with a water based emulsion type finish seem to be immune to damage from any cleaner that you might use.
I was never sure of that so have always used oil based gloss enamel on my tracks.....one fellow racer had his track professionally sprayed in two pot gloss.

Easy to clean with fuelite and a rag x 5 and start over.

I often wonder how people with a textured track get on with cleaning.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
I often wonder how people with a textured track get on with cleaning.
They often dont.. we very rarely clean the track.. only really need to drive round and let the tires clean the track, and just keep cleaning tires with tape. Usually takes 5mins per lane.
Occasionally I wipe round the outside of the corners with a damp cloth, to remove the dust where you crash, so your tires are not filthy when you fall off and get Marshalled back on. I usually get shouted at because it removes the Rubbered in finish from the track.

Re: Oils left on track.. say you treat your tires with 3in1 or similar throughout the race, the oil takes ages(Hours) to soak in and soften rubber, so as several people have mentioned, it does not help you on the night. It just rolls off the tire on to the track and acts as a lubricant. It does not last long, by the time its been driven over half dozen times, its gone.

Those who use Lighter Fluid to clean between races, its bad stuff for rubber, and you dont need it.. a decent roll of tape and a disciplined technique will remove just as much dirt from the tire. The light fuel dries the rubber, doesnt soften it.

My Purple and Red treatment fluids both contain a small amount of additive which makes the carrier for the active ingredient evaporate quickly, so generally a thin coat has dried off in 5-10mins. The Purple Fluid is quite aggressive at softening the rubber, so its perfect for treatment between heats and its dry before your next race.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Purple? Red? Just get yourself Some ZX1 Superlube. Thats all you will need for your tyres, axles and motor.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Purple? Red? Just get yourself Some ZX1 Superlube. Thats all you will need for your tyres, axles and motor.
Yeah.. I get this a lot.. everyone has there own thing they've been using for years and is sceptical of every other potion out there, and I'm not going to argue with that, but I will say, my fluids are a lot more effective at softening rubber that any oil will be.

·
Bob Chapman
6,995 Posts
I love this stuff, it always crops up once or twice a year, just like the urethane vs silicone debate.
I dont use tire softners so cant even offer a stance on what i think.
However this past winter I had the opportunity to race on a commercial track with 24 scale winged wedges. The track was sprayed with an adhesive substance for grip, and the tires were also treated with a sticky substance. It gave incredible grip and lap times were in the 3 second mark although there were some in the 2+ area.
One thing i did notice was that my regular 24 cars with rubber or urethane or silicone, all untreated had absolutely no grip at all.
I found it rather baffling since the track itself was treated.
Now there was no soaking of tires or anything, it was a simple matter of rolling your tires through the tire stick, and rubbing it in with your thumb for total coverage.
Anyway thats the closest I have come to any sort of tire treatment.
So thats why i like these posts. Everyone has different magic. Lol
All the best
Bob

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,542 Posts
I love this stuff, it always crops up once or twice a year, just like the urethane vs silicone debate.
I dont use tire softners so cant even offer a stance on what I think.
However this past winter I had the opportunity to race on a commercial track with 24 scale winged wedges. The track was sprayed with an adhesive substance for grip, and the tires were also treated with a sticky substance. It gave incredible grip and lap times were in the 3 second mark although there were some in the 2+ area.
One thing I did notice was that my regular 24 cars with rubber or urethane or silicone, all untreated had absolutely no grip at all.
I found it rather baffling since the track itself was treated.
Now there was no soaking of tires or anything, it was a simple matter of rolling your tires through the tire stick, and rubbing it in with your thumb for total coverage.
Anyway thats the closest I have come to any sort of tire treatment.
So thats why I like these posts. Everyone has different magic. Lol
All the best
Bob
Foams + goop is a different ballgame...and miles easier to manage than working with solid rubber.

·
Bob Chapman
6,995 Posts
Lol yes thats right , but its always fun to read the responses you lads have.
And Kevan you are right it was foam tires or spongies and some kind of goop.
The thing was normal tires were like being on ice. Lol
Keep up the great suggestions I'm sure therevare many eating it up.
Bob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts