SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just realized the first version of my 3D printed tyre truer was posted here exactly one year ago.
You can find for comparison the first version here
Well it's about time I reveal the new version much improved and fully functional.

Based on the experience on the first simple version I designed and 3D printed a new version with much improvements.
The main improvement involves the use of 3 bearings on the grinding spindle and the tyre spindle is also with double support.

You can have a look at it at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2011055 where, if you have a 3D printer, you can download all files and build it yourself.
in the description you have the full BOM, tools required and assembly instructions

As I wrote this project was born to test the limits of a functional 3D printed tool and also to contain the costs.
Well, I am pleased with the result and it fulfills all expectations.

Cheers,
JamieG

·
ParrotGod
7,925 Posts
Nice one and I really like the IKEA colors ;-)
Have you thought about designing a tyre condition/treatment station?

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Thank you guys for the positive comments, much appreciated.
I haven't yet calculated the cost honestly. Much of the components I utilized came from stuff I already had available from the magic scrap box!
I'll try to search for all the component and estimate a total cost.

What's a tyre conditioning/treatment station? To condition my tyres I use the sticky roll normally used by "management" for the clothes, that's quite effective and simple. Or? Do you mean something else? I'm intrigued

Cheers,
JamieG

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I missed that thread as well as probably few thousand other ones
. It's basically to run two tires against each other to get the "magic potion" settle on the rubber.
Never felt the need of it on my wooden track. I'm running 90% on urethane, the remaining 10% is NSR.
That's something I can look into it.

·
Greg Gaub
14,803 Posts
That's great!
Can you fit two wheels on at once, or is there some kind of stopper to ensure that successive wheels are precisely the same diameter?

·
ParrotGod
7,925 Posts
If you urethane no need for treatment as nothing will stick to them.
On the other hand, for rubber tyres like the NSR the oil will help a lot. It is not just about the grip: the tyres will wear off much nicer without showing any nasty marks at the end of a race.

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must admit the slot-cars have been falling into occasional hobby events and actually the house management almost convinced me to get rid of the track to dedicate the room to other purposes.
This winter brake anyhow, me and the kids had a blast of activities with the slot-cars and eventually put at rest the pressing demand for removal...

While reading now about the various threads concerning the tyre conditioning I remembered I evaluated this possibility in the past but then opted to convert to urethane tyres to not add substances into the wood track.
I am very happy with the Urethane provided the track is cleaned from dust. A hundred laps and the grip is fully restored to its perfect grip.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,729 Posts
Neat device - very impressed

For quick cleaning of your track put a couple of pieces of masking tape underneath a car folded back so 3/4 of the tape brushes the track. Run the car around a few laps and it picks up any dust - quick way to clean the track

will post a pic if you want

cheers
David

·
ParrotGod
7,925 Posts
Ciao Giacomo
Personally I would go for a separate unit so that one could treat and true tyres independently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW ! very nice, So, Im old vintage slotter, running 1/8" axles etc. How big can you go on a raw tire donut ? Such as the old german tire donuts.

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (PaulD @ 20 Jan 2017, 02:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW ! very nice, So, Im old vintage slotter, running 1/8" axles etc. How big can you go on a raw tire donut ? Such as the old german tire donuts.

Hi Paul,
to fit the 1/8" axles should not be a problem, its just to fir the correct bushings enlarging the seating.
The tyre max size is in region of 1" both on width and diameter (with some extra margins).

Cheers,
JamieG

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (C Mc @ 20 Jan 2017, 14:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Giacomo,
Would you be willing to share the Inventor files?
Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
I delayed to write here after your post because I had to think it thoroughly.
I am for open source philosophy but there must be a limit to what level we can share or at least if you want to use my design to modify it there must be some extra effort into it.
In Thingiverse I shared openly all the files for 3D printing with a lot of info such as the BOM. That for me it is not a problem, I can leave with that because I feel it is encouraging other people to try and test the design I have done and proof if it is good or bad. You can even import it from .stl to inventor and (with some work) modify it.
So, short answer to a short question: no, I do not feel comfortable to share the Inventor files.

Cheers,
JamieG

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 19 Jan 2017, 20:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ciao Giacomo
Personally I would go for a separate unit so that one could treat and true tyres independently.

Gio,
if you give me a specification of the needed machine, I can think of sketching one.
- size of tyres
- type of tyres (rubber + sponge one?)
- size of axles (only 3/32" or also 1/8"?)
- time for treatment (this can drive the choice of bearings, material to use for the 3D printed frame (PLA easy to print, ABS more difficult) and el. motor size
- only one driven tyre I guess will be enough, or?
- would it nice/necessary to have the possibility to have a timer? what about a trimmer?
- is there any need for protection (I can think of splashing fluid)?

Make a wish list and I start from there.

Cheers,
JamieG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts