SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dont know this shop. Do they make this truer themselfs or...? Wondering about spare parts in the future.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
According to the Won O Won website you can by the Hudy tyre truer for £100 + p&p, seems a bargain

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The RSM3 and similar tyre truers are just what you want for truing tyres without taking the wheels off the axle. Some sorts of plastic chassis cars come with wheels that aren't intended to be removed from the axle. Hudys aren't suitable for that.

For set screw wheels, a Hudy is superb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes the truer is made by themselves. Shame the website is mainly German.

I decided against the Hudy as I mainly have scaley cars and can remove the rear axle with the wheels on easily.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Fox GB @ 17 Aug 2012, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes the truer is made by themselves. Shame the website is mainly German.

I decided against the Hudy as I mainly have scaley cars and can remove the rear axle with the wheels on easily.

Might end up an x-mas present for myself, so I guess no 20% off for me. But the price was good and I really like the idea of truing the tires on the axle. I see they have parts with axles already on it for 3/32" (2.38), so that would be a good additional buy for truing tires not on the axle.

http://www.overdrive-shop.net/Werkzeug/Rei...hsen--5010.html

I dont quite follow the german. Would one need anything else? Or is it included?

Riemenscheibe für RSM für 2.5mm Achsen <- Maybe?

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
The RSM has been on the market longer than the "Tyre True" and "Tire Razor" which both are based on the same principle.

I bought the RSM2 (previous version) some years ago, and it's a great machine that does wonders to standard "plastic wheel" rear axle assemblies. Std plastic wheel assemblies often have slightly out of true wheels and sometimes a slightly bent axle, but when truing the whole assembly as one, these machines compensate for that in the truing, so even bad running cars can be made pretty smooth, and already smooth cars can be made competitive with alu wheel setups.

It comes with the 2.5 mm pulley (works OK wiht 2.38 mm axless too), so all you need is a PSU. I see they recommend a minimum 3 Amp, 6-9 volt PSU. I prefer to run mine as low as 3 volts to reduce tire heat, and I've had it running on a cheap 1.5 AMP PSU.

The "Schwenkarm" that is standard on the machine is for axles with bushings. The optional "Schwenkarm für 2.38mm Achsen" is for set-screw wheels, but if you mainly use it for plastic wheels I would not bother, just use a loose slot.it axle and bushings on the standard "arm" to true set-screw wheels.

Great machine, but if I where to get another one, I would take a second look at the Tire Razor, since that is the only truing machine with a lathe attachment.

Tore

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
My tyre truer (a Hudy) I've run using my home set power source, a SPA-8230, which only runs at 13-14.5v. Consequently the Hudy's (12v) motor runs lustily at one high speed; I risk smoking the tyres and mucking up their subsequent performance.

One suggestion I heard was to wire in a light dimmer switch to reduce the voltage. What do you think and is it safe to do so? Tyre truers are not cheap!

Thanks, Richard
Luton SCC.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Get a used DC electric train (HO) transformer. I got one for $15. Mine is variable speed 0-15 volts. Be sure to hook up to the DC output ac some have AC output as well for accessories which are often AC.

·
Greg Gaub
14,658 Posts
I finally dig out my old Autopulse transformer I used for my Lionel trains. I had previously tried an old little transformer, but it didn't have the amps to move the motor. The larger transformer does the job nicely, though. Much easier than my previous solution, and not as heavy/bulky as my Pyramid.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
you can run the output through a £3 chinese light dimmer. i use one as a voltage lowering switch on a 12v 30amp power unit for my track.and it works beautifully and has done for a few years now. john

·
Tel
4,032 Posts
I bought some parts from Maplin and Ebay and made a little box with a voltage display, although it did cost around £24 IIRC.
See
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=549294
and
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=549370

My little controller I used for pace cars / handling testing went pop.
I cant find the same thing again, I am hoping this will work, if it does it could be another cheap way for controlling Tyre Truers if you don't have a variable PSU.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261053638034?ssP...984.m1497.l2649

I got mine for a little less as they had a sale on ... but still if you don't want to wait 20-30 days for a china/hong kong delivery .... if it works !

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Have a look on fleabay under tattoo power supply, you can pick up a 2amp psu with read out and 6 to 15 volts variable for about a tenner. Not enough power for a track but certainly enough for a tyre truer and running motors in

G

·
Buy a cheep 7.2 RC battery pack and slow wall charger and use that, at a guess you won't be truing tyres in day day long and it will last a while. 7.2 will give you the speed you need for most tyres, if you want to true slot.it 15"s then about 4v will do and you can achieve this by soldering another pickup form the 4th cell along at a guess. I have a wall charger with Tamiya plug on you can have, just pm with your address if you go down that route.

·
Tel
4,032 Posts
QUOTE (Savage @ 24 Aug 2012, 07:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My little controller I used for pace cars / handling testing went pop.
I cant find the same thing again, I am hoping this will work, if it does it could be another cheap way for controlling Tyre Truers if you don't have a variable PSU.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261053638034?ssP...984.m1497.l2649

I got mine for a little less as they had a sale on ... but still if you don't want to wait 20-30 days for a china/hong kong delivery .... if it works !

I can confirm this would work well for tyre truers, unfornately it doesn't appear to work for pace cars as I intended

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (Bigtone @ 18 Aug 2012, 01:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to the Won O Won website you can by the Hudy tyre truer for £100 + p&p, seems a bargain

The Won-O-Won site does not seem to work properly. There are no links for the product image, nor are there any links to actually purchase anything.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
That price is well out of date, I spoke to Dave about buying one six weeks ago. He didn't have any in stock and the price would have been £150, I got mine from Chas at SCD for less than that.

Tony

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
Ordinary light dimmers use an AC input. You can connect that type of dimmer to a wall outlet and connect your power supply to the dimmer. Be warned that some dimmers do not have a sinewave output. If you are using a regular linear power supply the transformer will burn up almost immediatly if the input is not a sine wave. I have no idea what might happen with a switching power supply. The other option is to throttle tghe output of the power supply. That is made more difficult because truing machines use R/C motors that need a lot of current. You can use a chain of diodes to drop the voltage, but even big ones will tend to get hot. You can also use a voltage regulator, that would probably need a big heat sink and fan cooling unless you can find a PWM regulator.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Switch mode power supplies. are usually designed so that changes in the input voltage doesn't change the output voltage.
Ordinary AC light dimmers are unlikely to work with these power supplies. Usually the supply will just keep producing the same output voltage till the dimmer is turned down so far that the power supply switches itself off. There is a possibility some supplies will be damaged, so I don't recommend trying it.

If you haven't got an adjustable power supply, a chain of diodes to drop the voltage will do fine. For example, 6 amp diodes are suitable and only about 30p each from electronic trade suppliers. They work well although they will get hot! (Make sure you mount them somewhere well ventilated somewhere out of harm's way!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts