SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
There are a lot of gadgets out there to do the job but they all rely on the power of the motor to provide the rotation. This means that you are taking life off your motor and more importantly the gear, you have to be really careful. I saw Paul Darby (AKA The Guvernor and winner of T.V. series `Short Circuits ) do a much better and quicker job with a Dremel drill (£8 at B&Q on offer) . Insert the axle into the drill and power away with one wheel and tyre fitted at a time and sanded on a flat board with good sand paper stuck to it. Now you can get your tyres down a lot lower (great for magnet cars!) and no wear on the gear! Same idea for the front tyres and the guide is gonna sit lower in the slot on most cars.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It`s not more difficult. You don`t need to remove an axle either. Just use a blank standard axle spare and place this in the drill end. Same with the hub if you have a spare. Yes you have to watch the amount you take off but this method spares the axle wear and you can take a lot more off the tyre. Trust me, if this was more complicated then the lads at Phoenix Scalextric Club wouldn`t do it on a club night where they need to get sorted out quickly to race. I get over 200 racers a week thru the club..want to know how many gears I see stripped by over sanding? Trust me it works and can transform a car, e.g. the Scalextric MG Lola. With this treatment it sticks to the track like glue and is very hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
In the training world they say never assume knowledge. Well I have learned from, this post that I need to explain more fully. It goes without saying that you need to mount the tyres on a hub one at a time. No need to remove hubs or axles from a car .This does not ruin a spare hub or else I would not have suggested this process. In fact it`s best to use an aluminum wheel. Nor am I decribing something which I just dreamed up! I use this method as do a lot of my club members. it goes without saying that you dont attack this with brute force and a Dremel is not exactly nuclear powered! We are not talking about fine sanding clearly. Nor are we talking about non magnet cars so much. You need to take the tyre down in stages so that the chassis or sidewinder gear does not bottom out.A car that has it`s rear tyres sanded down a fair amount brings the magnet closer to the track and therefore `fine work` is clearly not necessary. Hope this helps those home racers that struggle with cars that crash too often. Try it on a Nascar for example and you will not believe the difference! Want more proof? Watch Paul Darby in the final of the `Short Circuits` series...he not only stays on the track but destroys the opposition, all of whom are racing the exact same car without any added modifications. It`s on Discovery Home and Leisure at the moment. `Seeing is believing`.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That`s about the size of it. If you just touch the tyres on the paper with the Dremel then you only take a little off. More pressure for longer and a lot more will be removed. It`s not difficult and you dont need instruments, I`ve got kids at my club doing this. I`m not into the micro dynamics of all this, a basic job to improve the car performance is good enough, in particular where magnet racing is the game. Of course it`s no use worrying about tyres if your wheels are not true and if your axle isn`t straight and .......Can be quite complicated all this cant it but it doesnt have to be. I recently saw at another club event guys truing tyres to the camber of a circuit with mostly left hand curves! Makes you think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts