SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I wondering about how to do this

This is Nuro's great work (check here) I would like to know how it can be done to have this typ of result for a "tyre wall", I read once about "menthol sweets" those who got a hole ... but dont find them here in Spain ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
here are a Couple of options

1) cut up automotive heater hose and stack randomly

2) cut wooden dowels to lenght, cut groves into it with a bandsaw, then drill a hole with a drill press & paint.

3) paint life savers and stack

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Neo

If you want to buy some tyres walls I understand SCX are now selling packs.

Regards

Alan

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
The new range of accesories from FLy also include tyres from their GT range, cast in the 4 standard primary colours.
Also in the range is a VERY swish 6 point seatbelt harness in blue (detail is great!) and no less than 5 differing bucket seats. From now on customising the interior of your favorite racer has become easier.
Prices are not cheap (this IS Fly afterall) but not too far out of reach.
I will post pics as soon as I get time to take them, unless someone finds them first.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
...might have been even worse if you had tried explaining that you were going to make tires out of them...

·
Slot City
331 Posts
The coloured Fly tyres for walling are ref B717/79717, and retail at £2.25 for a pack of 10. They don't seem too expensive, and are a lot cheaper than standard tyres though obviously it could work out expensive if you need a lot. I don't have a picture to hand, but we have some in stock so I should be able to post a picture tomorrow.

The SCX tyre wall ref is 88420 and retails at £23.99. I'm not sure of the exact contents as the packaging differs from what is listed in the catalogue but I'll check up on this tomorrow.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All the great ideas that have been made on how to produce tyre walls relate to the replication of old-style tyre walls. Please be aware that SRA are currently working on a MODERN tyre wall - to be available in both straight and curved variants. Hopefully these will be available in a couple of months' time - we will keep you posted! (And before you ask - no, they will not be in pewter!)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi guys, I've been abscent from the forum, cause I've been without a cpu for a long time now, but now I'm up and running again... Been racing a lot instead
(and a lot of uni work too...
) Nice to be back!!!
Nice suggestions all! The plastic ones seem a bit expensive to me though...
I thought I could share some pics of my tyrewalls, made from radiatorhose (1/2 inch) like Criss mentioned above. As a bonus they are nice on the cars, just like they are in 1:1

Hmm, I've waited for my starphoto site to load for a long time now, I'll have to come back later... with the pics. I can say that it's a tidious job to cut them all, and then carefully glue and stack them. I used PVA glue by the way.

Toby

·
Registered
759 Posts
ok, the photos as promised...

the bad thing with these "tyres" is their square edges, but hey they are cheap!

You also get the little fibres inside the rubber showing at each cut, but they could of course be painted black. You can also cut them to your own preferred width. I couldn't decide really so I varied them throughout the layout.

Toby

·
DT
5,195 Posts
They look fine in the photos.

Added bonus is that the cars are protected if banged into. Perhaps not on the indide of the bend, but on the outside.

Good looking track. How about some more photos...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What do you use to cut the hoses with? Hacksaw? Stanley knife? How do you get a straight edge? As you say they are another cheap idea which looks good, especially if the fibres are painted black (possibly use a marker pen for speed?)

Mark.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Damn these tirewalls look good... Neatly done...
And a very good way to make cheap tirewalls...

In fact... the whole pictures look good...
Like Nuro said... show us some piccies of the rest of the track...

G.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and the welcome back

There are some more pics on my starphoto site, page 4 I think. Otherwise I have some more on another computer. I've thought of writing a little description of it and show pics, sort of like an article. But I haven't got around to it yet... Would that be a contender for the Members layouts, Nuro?

I cut the hose with a pair of tough kitchen scissors from Tupperware (I hope my mum doesn'read this... In case she does they are still nice and sharp
). But they were not ideal for this purpose. It's very hard to get an absolutely straight cut using scissors, so trimming of some sort is usually needed.

Toby

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (bastumannen @ 9 Mar 2004, 07:46 PM)... Would that be a contender for the Members layouts, Nuro?
Of course. Send it along anytime. The best thing is to send a text file with the photos if you can't do HTML. Send it to me at [email protected].

1 - 20 of 30 Posts