SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Oh boy, he's at it again...

Looking good already, can't wait to see it develop!

Actually, the "/tyrrell_p34-Model.jpg" in the notification-email gave a clue of things to come

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Beautiful display of skills as we have come to expect of you

One question (to raise the bar so to speak): did you account for the difference in steering between the first and second front axle?
I mean to say that the angle the very front wheel makes in a turn should be bigger than the angle the second wheel makes...
I hope to make sense here...

Jan

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
I understand your frustrations...yet the issue at hand made me wonder if it could be done at all, so I dabbled a bit in Paint to see if I could come up with some sort of basic principle that should in theory work...

Here's a top view, I tried not to step away from your methods re the threaded axles and uprights...

Hope you can make heads or tails of it, and please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's raise the bar once more, that's what it's for

Jan

P.S.: cleaned up the pic a bit

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
The arc of the guide pin does not have to be an issue if you use two independent connecting rods to the steering knuckles.

The basic principle is that you will have to have the inner wheels steer more than the outer wheels, AND the fronts slightly more than the rears.
So: inner front steers the most, outer rear steers the least. outer front and inner rear both are somewhere inbetween...

I could come up with a version in which the rears (both of them) steer more than the fronts, that's easy
but in this configuration it's either both rear wheels steer more, equal amounts or less.

Then again, it may not be pleasing to the eye, but what can you do if that's the way it works?

On another note: it would be interesting to know if we have a "leading" or a "trailing" front axle. All depends on where the steering rack was fitted.

Here is some authentic Youtube footage, especially interesting at the end (top view of the car without bodywork @Monaco, going through the twisty bits and you can actually see the steering working).

Hope it helps a bit

Jan(edited: corrected a rather obvious mistake)

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
@Chris: You're welcome, looks as if you've enjoyed it as much as I have.

@Andi: Being Dutch here I'm afraid there is something of a language barrier...

In the first picture you show the car on the right shows exactly what I tried to say... [edit] Just noted the glaring mistake I made... Of course the inner wheels steer more than the outer! [/edit]
Instead of "steer" please read "angle with centerline of car".

Of course having the pivot points outside the hubs doesn't help...

Babylon here we come

Jan (not a mechanical engineer either, always open to other opinions)

Trail steer? How where's the fun in that ?
Hat, coat, outta here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.