SlotForum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello again everyone ... and happy holidays!
... least one who has shown his Tyrrell here, it makes me drop my head in shame with mine ...

no! kidding ...!!

Well, seriously now, I have only words to congratulate fellow, pretending to mine the praise of other colleagues, and congratulate you for doing these things know that we all Christmas cheer ... THANK YOU!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hi there Ken
Thanks for sharing your gear experiences.
The reason that wouldn't work on this build is that the aforementioned 'suspension', i.e. flexibility in the rear end just mashes those aluminium gears since they have short teeth.
Despite the fact that a collar keeps the gears meshing very well there is of course tollerance movement under load.

To see what the final effect is see the link to my little film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xmCT0pZMLU...be_gdata_player

Cheers
Andi

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (bwaminispeed @ 25 Dec 2011, 20:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wizard Gears

The Bronze gears start at the bottom of page 18.

And, they are, er, um, "Wizard". I have used them myself, and, usually make a proper setscrew hub, open up the hole in the gear and, Loctite the hub in.

Hi,

How do you fix the gears to get a really straight and centered hole for the new hub ? And which Loctite do you use - green, red or blue ?

Regards, Roland

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
4 jaw if I want real accuracy. But, I do true up my 3 jaws from time to time, so, they are usually pretty close.

Also, the 3 jaw chuck on my Myford is adjustable for radial runnout. It has 3 cam adjusters that move the body around on the backplate to true it up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (bwaminispeed @ 21 Jan 2012, 21:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>4 jaw if I want real accuracy. But, I do true up my 3 jaws from time to time, so, they are usually pretty close.

Also, the 3 jaw chuck on my Myford is adjustable for radial runnout. It has 3 cam adjusters that move the body around on the backplate to true it up.

I thought three jaws would be sufficiently accurate - why is a four jaw collet more accurate ?

Your chuck seems to be a very interesting and useful tool with cam adjusters...

Regards and thanks,

Roland

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
4 jaw chuck not collet. Most people find using 4 jaw chucks quite cumbersome, but, if you use them all the time, you can get quite fast at setting work to run dead true in them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (bwaminispeed @ 26 Jan 2012, 22:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>4 jaw chuck not collet. Most people find using 4 jaw chucks quite cumbersome, but, if you use them all the time, you can get quite fast at setting work to run dead true in them.

My four jaw chuck has been lying in the lathe´s tool box since I had bought the lathe...Simply because the "tradition" of three jaw chucks is so dominating at least in the "amateur turners´area".
And I´m still a bit afraid of being able to get the chuck - no matter which of the two - really straight centered onto the lathe´s shaft again when I change it.
But you made me curious, so I´ll do it.

Thank you very much once more !

Roland

·
Registered
325 Posts
Andi,

This is by far the most beautifully crafted slotcar I have ever seen scratchbuilt!
It looks even more beautiful with the bodywork removed, so one can see the intricacy of the whole thing!!!

Just marvellous!!!!!

Respect!!!!

Martin

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.