SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
24 Hour Questionnaire
How far are you willing to travel to such an event. (Probably best in hours rather than distance) Up to:
1 Hour 510.64%
2 Hours1021.28%
3 Hours1634.04%
More1021.28%
I'd just like to see the results of the poll612.77%
If you were to attend a 24 Hour event would you prefer? Please select 1 A and 1 B
A) Bank Holiday weekend1013.16%
A) An ordinary weekend2431.58%
A) Friday and Saturday Event79.21%
B) During the summer season1722.37%
B) During the winter season1013.16%
I'd just like to see the results of the poll810.53%
Would you be more interested in
One off 24 hour event 3574.47%
A league/series with several weekends612.77%
Would you be more interested in racing
Group C Cars (Slot.it)2348.94%
NSR Cars Mosler/ Porsche 997714.89%
Sloting Plus - Reynard 2KQ24.26%
Ninco Classics36.38%
Pioneer TransAm24.26%
Other Please suggest in thread 510.64%
I'd just like to see the results of the poll510.64%
Would you be prepared to rough it?
No I?d like a hotel817.02%
Yes I?d manage with a Tent (which I?d bring along)714.89%
Yes I?d bring a sleeping bag and find a space (gymnasium floor etc) 2757.45%
I'd just like to see the results of the poll510.64%
Team / individual?
My Club could enter a team of six2451.06%
My Club could not provide the complete six 714.89%
I would like to join the event but as an individual (join a team)1021.28%
I Currently Race
Slot.it Challenge1422.95%
Slot Rally GB711.48%
Other inter club races ( Give information in thread)1727.87%
Only at at my club1931.15%
I'd just like to see the results of the poll46.56%

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hi folks I’m part of a team of guys looking at arranging 1:32 - 24 Hour Races in the UK in the future. For some unknown reason we seem to lack enthusiasm for such events, for some strange reason they very rarely get off the ground. I have put this little questionnaire together, to gather some information from those with an interest in taking part. I would like your input, and suggestions. I am however well aware that this topic has degenerated several times in the past, so to that end, I would ask you to stay on topic as much as possible, let’s make this thread as productive as we possibly can.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not sure if my club could run a full team or not, so i clicked that they could...but how many people would know?

I'd personally like to see a mixed event rather than a one make event, maybe with fairly standard motors and tyres

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi ,

Cannot vote for see only the results of the poll !

Perhaps 4 racers + 1 substitute are suffisant because hard to find many people motivated !

Normally, in order to be completely fair, everybody use the same car with motors and tyres choosen and provided by organisers.

Just two cents...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Indeed but real 24 hours races are not fair ( better to drive Audi or Peugeot in Le Mans for example ,no ? )
Same thing with slot car ! If drivers skill is the more important factor, everybody must have the same chance, hence what i said above....

Anyway, i invent nothing because this race format is adopted in many countries

You can simulate a real 24 hours race with different brands , cars, motors, tyres ...etc BUT the results will mean nothing !!!

The question is to know if you want to race or if you want to play ?

For play, you can do for you want but for race, everebody must have the same chances i guess

Cheers

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Interesting Poll, Ian.
One question perhaps you should have asked; how much money (as an individual) are you prepared to pay for an entry fee?
Where ever you try to set up this event, there will be substantial costs invollved, (for a 'big' non club event) so having some idea how much people are happy to pay would be useful.
I hope you get a good response to the poll, and get something sorted for next year.
Cheers Bill.

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (slotingplus @ 23 Jul 2011, 09:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Indeed but real 24 hours races are not fair ( better to drive Audi or Peugeot in Le Mans for example ,no ? )
Same thing with slot car ! If drivers skill is the more important factor, everybody must have the same chance, hence what i said above....

BUT is drivers skill the most important factor?
Surely the most important factor is to have fun, after all that's what we do it for

Would it be fun if we all ran the exact same car, the only thing it would prove is who are the best drivers. With a free choice people could also pick which they think would be the most reliable also.
Let's face it, even with a free choice the chances are most will pick the same chassis anyway, but at least they have a choice.

QUOTE (slotingplus @ 23 Jul 2011, 09:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can simulate a real 24 hours race with different brands , cars, motors, tyres ...etc BUT the results will mean nothing !!!

That depends on the purpose of the race, are you trying to find the most reliable car, the quickest car, the most consistent drivers, the fastest team etc.

QUOTE (slotingplus @ 23 Jul 2011, 09:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The question is to know if you want to race or if you want to play ?

For play, you can do for you want but for race, everebody must have the same chances i guess

Cheers

Everybody HAS the same chances if it were a free choice, it is their choice whether they pick the best car, it is their choice whether they pick a quick car or a reliable car or find both.
A free choice would mean they can all pick the best should they wish to but should they not wish to their hands aren't tied

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just different point of view !

For many racers, the most interesting is to win !
If you have open races, the brands win, not the teams ( Audi won the 24 hours Le Mans and most of people don't know pilots names ! )
If you have fair conditions, teams win and not brands !

Just different philosophy and you do what you want of course

·
Registered
187 Posts
Last note :

If the more important factor is fun and not skill , it is not necessary to have complicated 24 hours events where racers must imvest much money for eat, sleep...etc

You can have fun with many little races !

You speak about reliability BUT all racing brands produce cars which can race easely 24 hours and so, the goal is not to test reliability for such slot cars events !!!

The goal is really to win for the teams with the best tunning and drivers skill...normally

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Interesting Ian

Whilst the event is running a sleeping bag is good although the night before I'd find a hotel.

I had to answer "other" to the car choice as it wouldn't bother me for manufacturer. What have you got against the NSR Corvette

The team from a club question could bring a misleading result as a club with six drivers will more than likely all answer the poll!!

A really big thing for me is not on a bank holiday. This is a definite no.

Thinking about the question answers for a bank holiday weekend would they actually exclude a normal weekend?

Manufacturer backing is a big positive and if Jules, for example, wanted to back a 24hrs Pioneer Trans-Am then I think it would bring kudos to the event and be a driving force to getting drivers.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Thank you to those that have voted and commented so far the whole idea of this is to gauge people's perception of a 24 hour race and what it constitutes.

Thanks Paul, "Free choice" is such a vague term, though I personally would love for it to be totally "open" unfortunately there will certainly have to be constraints aligned with what is already raced in the rest of Europe, the main reason surprisingly to make it fair on all the teams. This will also affect race sponsors.(Should we manage to get any) For instance take a look at the Slot.it Challenge rules there is sufficient scope in these to make massive difference on performance.

Jacques, thank you for your input, as Sloting Plus has been involved in several of these events it's always good to hear from experienced hands, Yes we may have been reaching for the optimum asking for teams of "Six" however this is still in the planning stage and we need to try and make it achievable, we may accept lower numbers eventually. I have also changed the poll to work for "I'd just like to see the results of the poll"

Bill, your input is always valid, cost should have probably been on the poll unfortunately however this has been discussed with the "24 Hour Group" there are so many factors that create the price of such an event, we have decided to leave it off for now as it is uncertain. What I can say it would almost certainly be in the region of £200:00 per team. But we will discus this further as we glean more information on location/s etc.

Mark, I'm glad you raised it and that is exactly why I wanted to get people to post rather than just rely on the questionnaire, these are so limited. I need to capture everyone's thoughts to get the full picture (What have I against the Corvette nothing I have one sat here painted and ready to race but nowhere to race it!) And Yes I am sure with my contact a Pioneer Event could be incredible again though that's just my point of view I happen to be #1 in the fan club.

Thank you all for the input the more information the better keep em comin'

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mr Croker illustrate perfectly what i wanted to underline !

He suggest a 24 hours Pioneer Trans-Am and also a NSR Corvette event ...

Whatever the choice, each race would be interesting i guess BUT if you mix them and add yet several brands more, where would be the coherence

Every endurance race has coherence ( only one car or only one category in one brand as group C or several brands in limited category as LMP inline under very determinated rules....)

I just underline what i can see, i don't judge ! ( In fact, i just discover your market philosophy and try to understand, that's all
)

Well, place to UK now and sorry for my digression...

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
Personally I don't see why you would want to do a 24 hour race with your first intention/aim not being to win or do well. That's the most Interesting thing IMO and fun will normally happen regardless of the cars involved

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (bleep @ 23 Jul 2011, 10:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Paul, "Free choice" is such a vague term, though I personally would love for it to be totally "open" unfortunately there will certainly have to be constraints aligned with what is already raced in the rest of Europe, the main reason surprisingly to make it fair on all the teams. This will also affect race sponsors.(Should we manage to get any) For instance take a look at the Slot.it Challenge rules there is sufficient scope in these to make massive difference on performance.

"Free Choice" is a general term, what I actually meant was the same class of racing with free choice of chassis. As I have already said, most people would go for the quickest chassis anyway so the coherence that has been talked about shouldn't be a problem, BUT they do have a choice and their hands aren't tied should they wish to try an alternative.

Sorry but I don't understand why we should look at the rest of Europe? We should be doing what works best in the UK not what works best everywhere else, I'm not saying the same shouldn't be adopted but we don't have to, it isn't like the majority of us are going to travel around Europe doing a series, if that were the case I could understand.

Isn't fairness to all teams free choice, that way they all have the option of choosing what is best?

Obviously if a sponsor were to come along that would make a big difference, however if they don't why race there cars?

Anyway what sponsors have been considered? Anyone approached the people who make the PCS 32 chassis?

I'm sure that could be an interesting alternative

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not sure it would matter if everyone had the same

Maybe if one sponsored the even and the other didn't then that would be the one to go for

·
Registered
187 Posts
So, perhaps something is missing in the poll Ian !

Indeed, do you envisage an event where racers pay something to organiser ( and then, how many they are ready to pay ?
) or an event paid by one or several sponsors

In general, each team pay to organiser and 24 hours events are not free !

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm not sure a sponsor would pay for the full event, only maybe help out with cars and spares

But I think you have a point, how much would people/teams be willing to pay?

Before that could be answered we'd want to know what the cost included, like car and spares etc.

Obviously without any sponsor help it should cost more

1 - 20 of 70 Posts