SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Not alot of new info to tell you, but just got back from the UK London Launch of SCX Digital in central London.

Held at the CC Club just off Piccadilly Slik and myself dressed smart for this event.

Two digital tracks were set up in the club, one small one (set size) and a larger track with six cars.

Some new Point of sale material was on display along with the new box designs for individual cars - which i had not seen before - nice!

Meet up with the guys from Spain and Bachmann and discussed the digital arena in some length.

Also meet with the editor of Rally XS magazine - nice guy, hope to do some slot articles for them in the near future.

Also news of some additional digital products on the horizon can't say for a while, will let you know when i can.

Nice morning, slots, free beer and food, slik for company and we showed off his new NSCC SCX video which went down well - hope to have this posted next week on the NSCC web site. Well done to Slik for lending SCX his laptop after they couldn't get theirs working!

Couple of pics, new boxes and racing (Slik is second from the right - IN A SUIT!)

See you soon

Gareth
NSCC

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jimster

Apart from Hornby and their invited testers i don't think any one has had the oppertunity to race on both systems side by side.

I had a go with SCX, Hornby and Carrera at the London Toy Fair, but at the time all were prototypes so fair comparision can't be made.

This weekend in Egg we will have the SCX and Carrera systems side by side, but Hornby won't be there (to my knowledge)

I think we will have to wait until just before Xmas to see all together.

Gareth

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi!

See the new tracks of SCX (avalaibles in september/octuber):

With these tracks we can design, for example:

1. Pit lane:

2. Pit lane with pit stop:

3. Two to four to two lanes:

4. O this surrealistic track

What do you think about this new possibilities?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
This really is whats needed! SCX are leading the way with track ideas, but I still am not sold on this digital system. I hope Scalextric, Carrera and Ninco make their systems as versatile.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Well . . . they look . . . er . . . interesting!
They also look a bit EXPENSIVE!
One of the most obvious practical problems remains - the lane changer on a straight is too short to be practical, effectively only one straight section in length, making very violent lane changes
When a car is overtaking on a long straight, we would expect it to be at maximum speed. It's very hard to overtake when forced to first slow down in order to do so!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
i agree they are too short, and am not keen on the guide making the lane change - however this fact means that the LC track pieces are passive and simple things, the same as standar non digital cross-overs, so shouldnt be too pricey...

As for the speeds - if they are the first piece after a curve, then a car will NOT have reached max speed; if they are the last piece before a curve, if the car is going flat out it will crash on the curve anyway!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE the LC track pieces are passive and simple things, the same as standard non digital cross-overs, so shouldn't be too pricey...
Good point!
I withdraw that comment!
(Though they still cost more than a standard track section, so a BIT expensive)

QUOTE As for the speeds - if they are the first piece after a curve, then a car will NOT have reached max speed; if they are the last piece before a curve, if the car is going flat out it will crash on the curve anyway!
In which cases, it would be much better to have the lane changers ON the curve to avoid two of the three changes of direction created by what are effectively 'S' bend track pieces. It will be interesting to see if SCX do emulate the Scalextric curved lane changes at some time (and whether Scalextric try a straight (ok an 'S' or 'X' one!)

BTW, Theobald, thank you for posting those great pics!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oh. That last contraption, according to a reliable source is actually a warp drive accelerator. With a pair of these devices strategically placed around your layout you are able to "warp" between them by holding the throttle down at full capacity and repeatedly pressing the lane change button as fast as you can just before you get to the particle disassembler/re-assembler arches.

No. Really!

Seriously, the dimension this adds to the hobby is certainly interesting. Creative types will have an absolute blast just coming up with a layout that incorporates all those pieces.

-Maltese

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm sorry. My information was erroneous. Is impossible to change the line in the 1to2 tracks:

They are only tracks to return the crashes cars to the circuit (for no to hinder to the other cars):

So, if we want design pit-lanes or pit-lanes with pit-stops.... these are the solution:

I think that the reason for which Tecnitoys has made this decision is for avoiding short circuits in the design of the tracks. Although, in the future, they will have to reconsider this decision.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE it would be much better to have the lane changers ON the curve

For freedom of track design, it would be nice to see both curved and high-speed straight LCs.

I'm not too familiar with the SCX system, but if the guide executes the lane changes, it might not be practical to use LCs on curves. The side loading on the guide will be heavy in a corner... can the actuator overcome this side pressure to steer the car toward the inside on curved LCs?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think that the curved LCs are less practical. In the Sport Digital System are necessary four tracks for all possibilities.

In SCX system, you only need one track. Also, the Sport System LCs tracks are more expensive, they only allow a change of line, and are necessary many curves of 90º.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Some excellent points being made!
There are good and bad things about both systems and, as Fergy said, it would be nice to have the choice of both curved and straight LCs in one system.

On balance, if I had to choose, I would prefer them on the straights, for reasons mentioned above. But, even the new SCX pieces still limit the whole lane change to only a little more than just one section length instead of the previous slightly more than half section length. Although this is a definite improvement, I would prefer to see the change over two whole track lengths, to enable the highest possible speeds. But then it would still be good to have the opportunity to steal a position on the bends too!

I imagine that we haven't seen the last of the options and that they will continue to evolve over time in response to customer demand, if any.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Only 2 of the footprints are required to change lanes from 1 to 2 and then back from 2 to 1 in any one circuit design. At least with the Scalextric system you have the option of using the current and entire range of Scalextric SPORT track which will offer the option of more realistic circuit design and chicanes and crossovers. You could place a hairpin bend and side swipe straights just ahead of the lane switch curve to slow things down at switching points as an example.

In fact the possibilities for circuit design are endless with all digital systems and with a little bit of imagination and no doubt in time as we are all converted to the digital mode of operation there will be some ingenious circuit designs aimed specifically at digital users.

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE no doubt in time as we are all converted to the digital mode of operation
Not in our lifetimes though, Mop!
(unless you are an immortal of course)

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
It's looking good, but I still don't understand why SCX didn't make it fit to their old tracksystem like Scalextric.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts