SlotForum banner

UK Slot Car Festival - Scaleauto Top Team Challenge

13K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  Hobby 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
All

We are looking for 6 teams to take part in the Scaleauto Top Team Challenge on the Saturday.

The endurance race will take place over 3 hours on the excellent ex Llantrisant track.

Teams need to be made up of a minimum of 3 and maximum of 6 members.

Just to make it even better giving you no excuses not to take part is that Scaleauto will prepare and supply the cars.

So if you want the chance to be the Scaleauto Top Team enter here please.

Matt

#30 ·
Some of us won't get to race till we get there no matter what the car

Ah well, its all about the fun

#31 ·
Little bit more info. It looks like we will be racing Scaleauto DeTemaso Pantera with sponge tyres.

We will be the first race on the 5 lane track since it will have been refurbished so it would be advisable for the teams to use the hour to do some final prep on the cars but also run round the track with cars you bring to lay down some rubber to aide the grip for the race.

Final timings to be announced.

Matt

#32 ·
Hi Matt.
A few errors in your above post?
Unless PSR have removed a lane from the old Llanny track, then it's a six lane track!?
Why on earth would Scaleauto want to supply us with sponge equiped Panteras for a race on a 'dry' smooth 'poly' track?
Hoping dry sponge tyres will 'rubber' up a clean track is a bit like hoping for a Euro lottery win!
Still, its just for 'fun' is it not?
Confused but still up for it,
Bill.

#37 ·
Cars are being supplied & prepped by Scaleauto.

QUOTE Why on earth would Scaleauto want to supply us with sponge equiped Panteras for a race on a 'dry' smooth 'poly' track?
Hoping dry sponge tyres will 'rubber' up a clean track is a bit like hoping for a Euro lottery win!
Still, its just for 'fun' is it not?
Confused but still up for it,

Bill Scaleauto produce a range of sponge tyres glued & trued to hubs, they are widely used on 1/24th scale cars in Europe, Australia & USA. In our own 1/24th class we race using the Scaleauto Procomp 3 tyres 'dry' on dry track, grip levels are very good. The main advantage using this type of tyre is that its a great leveller, how many times have we heard about the black art of finding grip on a wooden track?

Scaleauto also produce a range suitable for 1/32nd cars including a 19x9 wheel/tyre comination that has just been released.
As Matt says it is possible to soften these tyres but we find tapeing them is adequate.

Sean

#39 ·
Hi Sean
Thanks for the information.
Interesting!
The old accepted wisdom of sponge tyres not working without 'goop' maybe a thing of the past...perhaps?
I will look forward to trying this 'new way'. Perhaps this is the future, no hang on minute ...that's Digital!!
Tongue firmly in cheek, mischeif making!,
Regards Bill. AKA Dinosaurs 'R' Us!

#40 ·
QUOTE Sean
Does this mean we are not allowed to use the cars until the race.
Zen

Zen, Matt is race director. I was purely commenting on the sponge tyres question.
I'm sure there will be an allocated amount of time to get dialled in with these cars but this will be at the discretion of the race director & Scaleauto.
As Matt says bring along a spare car to 'learn' the track and create a racing line.

Sean

#43 ·
Matt,
I hope that all the teams entering this event will make sure that the cars they bring to practise with are fitted with NON SILICON tyres suggest slotit P5's F22's or similar, also what length will the track be some one suggested the track will be shorter than shown is that correct.
Regards
Zen

A little bump

#44 ·
Ooh, never raced with sponge, never raced on wood, this will be fun!

Are these 1/24 or 1/32?

#48 ·
I am confused now

Post #18 suggests that the hour before the race will be used to prep the car. If we are going to use this hour to "lay" some rubber down, when do we prep the car??? Surely, "laying" the rubber should be optional as lets be honest, how much rubber can be "laid" in in hour equally across all lanes? We are better of getting used to the track and the new car during this hour as people will only be getting 15-20 minutes to get used to the car and the track.

Also, don't the doors open at 10am as per http://www.ukslotcarfestival.co.uk/ ???

#49 ·
You have one hour prior to the race start where you will have access to the scaleauto car, in that hour you can do as you wish. Your team could go and get a tan, wonder round the festival, check out the museum, up to you.

My suggestion is fettle with your car, and others in your team use another car you have brought to practice and lay some rubber down - that is just my suggestion.

I will await for Sean to confirm timings.

Matt

#51 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys.
Lets keep this a'for fun' race,please.
We are all competitive racers, but let us keep the right tone for this interesting team race.
Matt's sugestion as to what you do with your hour, is just that...a suggestion. The important things to make this event fair is a proper out of the hat lane draw, to decide who starts where, and (unless there is a good reason not to) keeping each model for each lane.
The first hurdle to cross will be to find out if the supplied 'sponge' tyres have any grip at all on the refurbished Llantrisant track.
This will be the single most important factor. We may have enough grip to make a race of it, or it may be more akin to Ice racing!
Whatever, it will be the same for all of us.
kind regards,
Bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.