SlotForum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

· Registered
3,558 Posts
Sorry that was a typo.It should have read moving to the outside edge when cornering. thers not a mechanical way to do that, without adding lots of unessasery weight. i agree the gyro effect on garry,s car makes the chassis stay firmly planted, it doesn,t want to lean into a corner the gyro effect just keeps the same weight on the chassis all the time. john

· Registered
3,558 Posts
Most people would agree Salvatore,s NSR cars are the best racing cars outa the box. i was informed Salvatore races metal chassis cars to improve his designs. metal chassis cars are the quickest?So what about duplicating a metal chassis outa plastic. has anyone tried it and what results did you get. would this sort of chassis be legal on plastic chassis club cars. If no ones tried it i,ll make one loosely based on a scholer/ plafit design. it will take more work than soldering up a traditional metal chassis but the results just might work. I,ll make it outa plasticard although getting the lazer cuts in the plastic chasssis might be problematic. so its back to the sketchpad now. john

· Registered
543 Posts
QUOTE (stoner @ 19 Jul 2012, 16:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most people would agree Salvatore,s NSR cars are the best racing cars outa the box. i was informed Salvatore races metal chassis cars to improve his designs. metal chassis cars are the quickest?So what about duplicating a metal chassis outa plastic. has anyone tried it and what results did you get. would this sort of chassis be legal on plastic chassis club cars. If no ones tried it i,ll make one loosely based on a scholer/ plafit design. it will take more work than soldering up a traditional metal chassis but the results just might work. I,ll make it outa plasticard although getting the lazer cuts in the plastic chasssis might be problematic. so its back to the sketchpad now. john

Yes, many people have tried it. For example: fiberglass chassis

It works excellent

· Registered
543 Posts
QUOTE (stoner @ 21 Jul 2012, 08:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks Petr, i,ve just been on Milans site and all the chassis look good, but the one you showed me is the dogs. Any chance of finding out where your friend got it. john

Hi John, this chassis made Jarda Pivonka from the Czech Republic, but currently he doesn't engage chassis production.

· Registered
3,558 Posts
I like the idea of the flywheel on Gary,s chassis. I,m making one at the moment using a half inch od bearing with a thin ally friction plate, cone spring and various ally stops. i,ll let you know how it runs with and without the flywheel. Gonna be a couple of weeks till i get all the dips and bumps outa my track. Big T how did the slideing weight work on your chassis, and any mods you made too get it to work properly? Or was it a pile of, not worth mentioning. John

· Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE (300SLR @ 19 Jul 2012, 08:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Conflicting ideas there!

Many cars work better with a lower c of g, maybe you'd expect moving weigh to the inside would be best for them.
Cars that are very short of grip are sometimes improved by a higher c of g, maybe you'd expect moving weigh to the outside would be best for them.

When cornering, moving weight naturally goes to the outside.
Moving weight to the inside is more difficult. Much the same effect as transferring weight to the inside can be produced by gyroscopic action (as in Gary Fletcher's car). The gyroscopic actions works instantly when the car starts cornering. Weight that takes time to move across the chassis would make much less difference when at the entry to a corner.
I guess it depends on what the limiting factor of the chassis is without the moveable weight. If the car is tipping over, then weight on the inside will help whereas if it's sliding then weight on the outside 'could' help if the chassis flex is balanced suitably like a 1:1 go kart.

I hope some of us try these ideas out - great stuff!

· Registered
988 Posts
QUOTE (stoner @ 21 Jul 2012, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That really is a neat chassis Petr, thanks again. john.
Yes it looks good, but how does it go?
No way of knowing from photos!
Probably it'll work best with certain types of tyre and less well with much more or less grip.
Probably the body weight and height will make a difference.

Could be great for some types of tyre/ body weight and well off the pace compared with other chassis with different types of tyre/ body.

Testing on a track is the only way to know

· Registered
543 Posts
QUOTE (john's slotracing @ 25 Jul 2012, 12:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes it looks good, but how does it go?
No way of knowing from photos!
Probably it'll work best with certain types of tyre and less well with much more or less grip.
Probably the body weight and height will make a difference.

Could be great for some types of tyre/ body weight and well off the pace compared with other chassis with different types of tyre/ body.

Testing on a track is the only way to know

This chassis is ideal for foam tyres and lexan body

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.