SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok
Ive been running ninco digital and now my 2nd to last
uncovered chip has failed .Bringing the total uncovered failures to 5 .
Now Ive got over a dozen red encased chips that have never had a problem
I use slot it controllers and am thinking bout converting over to oxygen wireless
but those naked chips are holding me back .
So when are they going to be enclosed in a case ?
thanks

·
Greg Gaub
14,981 Posts
All SSD and slot.it chips are "uncovered" and have been very reliable for me. The only times a chip has died on me, first of all, were Scalextric chips, not slot.it, and secondly, were my fault, not due to their lack of a covering.
I'm not sure why Ninco chips are more likely to fail if they are not covered, but whatever it is doesn't seem to be a problem for Slot.it chips, or even Scalextric chips.

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
In general, the thing you should be aware is that the most likely failure cause is a short circuit on the motor wires. It has to be avoided at all costs. Such short circuit may happen for example when the cables are shorted through the motor's case (both touching the case)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have at least a dozen of the original (blue pumpkin capacitor) N-Digital decoder chips and have not had a failure. The two most important precautions:

1.) Trim the exposed wire where the guide leads attach to the chip (with the plastic push pins) as short as possible.

2.) Wrap the chip in electrical tape.

_michael

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
If you decide to cover the chip in tape, be advised that putting tape (or anything) on the radio section of the chip itself may adversely affect the radio transmission, so try to leave the area around the antenna free of any masking tape.

·
Registered
240 Posts
QUOTE (Slot.it @ 27 Aug 2012, 10:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...be advised that putting tape (or anything) on the radio section of the chip itself may adversely affect the radio transmission...
Yes, of course - wireless presents us with new issues. Wrapping in tape can also interfere with surface mount component heat dissipation. Solving problems is always a compromise.

The original poster has experienced a problem with N-Digital that he is concerned may migrate to oXigen. My experience with the original "naked" N-Digital chip was that if the chip was not installed securely, it could come loose (e.g., in a crash) and make electrical contact with an axle or some other metal part of the car and cause serious problems. SSD/DPR and Carrera factory installed chips are quite secure. However, if a chip is retro fitted to a car and it cannot be covered or encased in some manner, then extra care must be given to secure against the chip coming loose and/or being too close to a metal surface.

_michael

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (mfogg @ 27 Aug 2012, 12:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, of course - wireless presents us with new issues. Wrapping in tape can also interfere with surface mount component heat dissipation. Solving problems is always a compromise.

The original poster has experienced a problem with N-Digital that he is concerned may migrate to oXigen. My experience with the original "naked" N-Digital chip was that if the chip was not installed securely, it could come loose (e.g., in a crash) and make electrical contact with an axle or some other metal part of the car and cause serious problems. SSD/DPR and Carrera factory installed chips are quite secure. However, if a chip is retro fitted to a car and it cannot be covered or encased in some manner, then extra care must be given to secure against the chip coming loose and/or being too close to a metal surface.

_michael
Exactly
All the chips will need to be retro fitted into cars and at roughly $50 US a pop I dont want to have to fiddle with a non factory addition just to make sure nothing shorts out .
Even being careful and all an exposed chip to me is a liability .
That said looking foward to going wireless as soon as it becomes feasible and short free

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QUOTE (strykerakamack @ 27 Aug 2012, 15:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Exactly
All the chips will need to be retro fitted into cars and at roughly $50 US a pop I dont want to have to fiddle with a non factory addition just to make sure nothing shorts out .
That said looking foward to going wireless as soon as it becomes feasible and short free

^ what?!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
QUOTE (strykerakamack @ 27 Aug 2012, 15:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Exactly

^ what?!... if you go t a good job installing the chip you should not have any problems.

·
Greg Gaub
14,981 Posts
Yeah, just don't leave a bunch of exposed wire for the motor leads. Only strip what will be securely soldered to the motor terminals, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The leads on the ferrite man in the O2 chip are exposed.
I always use heatshrink tubing over these leads before soldering onto the motors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts