SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
redstar
1,591 Posts
Hi,it seems the first set by Ungar was made in 1960. Here is a Ungar catalog from 1960. It shows set # 311but its a painting not a photo. The closeup shows the cars came unassembled. The 1st photo I show is the real 311 set with the cars assembled. But the wire contacts for the track had to be put in by hand. So each piece of track did have to be assembled 1st. In 1961 Eldon bought them but the sets still use left over Ungar parts and would say both Ungar and Eldon. The ist photos are the Ungar catalog from 1960. The next photos show the actual Ungar set # 311. I don't think any of the Eldon sets had unassembled track parts. Then I show a couple more early Eldon sets. .Thanks,Bernard

Attachments

·
redstar
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a MIB early Eldon Go Kart set which uses a Ungar dry battery box. These are the really large primitive round cardboard batteries. Also posted is 1st generation Ferrari sports car that is very air streamed and has no driver. It is worm gear. I think by 1962 the newer Ferrari with driver ,chrome parts ,etc came out. The 1st version is actually nicer and more artisy.Bernard

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,699 Posts
That is very neat Todd - never would have recognized him. How did you realize that?

Bernard, thanks much for posting! This all came from a conversation about what was actually released under the Ungar brand and what was Eldon.

The early Ungar cars also seem to have been changed from the initial artist's impression, without the big fins in back... but it doesn't look like Ungar ever released the "sports car" type cars, only open-wheels, which was our original question. Lots of mixing of brand names too, for a little while.

My first slot cars were those early Eldon models, with the worm gear drive - what a POS! But at least I realized I liked taking the cars apart as much as racing them...

Don

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I recognized "Ted" even before the later posts! Funny what my brain is full of, but then again I am "stuck in. . ."

Whenever my wife mentions a female friend/acquaintance, I can instantly pull up a song/lyric with that name (then I bug her by singing it!). But I can't remember the person I met yesterday, or even in what circumstance.

Another quote from the past:

"We used to race go-karts. . . " Who was it?

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
"but it doesn't look like Ungar ever released the "sports car" type cars, only open-wheels, which was our original question."

Don, what about these cars and track below, then?
We were just discussing this and some pretty strong evidence came up in the form of a pair of sports cars bearing the Ungar markings, as well as a mix of Ungar and Eldon track parts.
From the seller as reported to you:

"The track is marked Ungar. The storage box for the cars is marked both Eldon and Ungar. The tires on the cars are marked Eldon while the decals say Ungar. It appears that both company's were involved in this set."

sports_car_set.jpg

sports_car_set_3.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,699 Posts
Ah, yes, there's that.... I was talking about this with Bernard, and he figured that it was during the intermediate period, when labels and trademarks got mixed up (Ungar track, Eldon tires...), and he thought it was the case here (he just has the original Ungar set MIB, with the two open wheel cars)

No MIB Ungar sports cars have popped up yet, but ... it's true that one of the labels is marked "Ungar Special," and this is the name that Eldon generally used for this car.

Still open for debate...

Don

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
But that does not mean that Eldon made the sports car's molds... if you look at the Ungar "Indy" cars taken apart, and compare them to the sports cars innards, then compare that to the molding techniques used on the first true Eldon cars (Ferrari 206SP or Porsche RSR as examples) , looks to me, as a former toy designer quite versed in molding technology, that the Eldon molds show quite a different style of craftsmanship. In any case, a different mold shop. There were plenty of these in the early 1960s in So Cal, before Richard Nixon gave the manufacturing keys to the Chinese...
I am pretty sure that the sports car molds were done by Ungar, but likely just at the time of the Eldon acquisition.

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
Bernard,
yes, yours must be the very first indeed. Are the tires marked "Eldon" or "Ungar"?

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
Bernard, thanks for the info. It is obvious that the cars you have are the very first issues, so while we have no absolute proof, it is likely that the company's purchase took place while these new cars were tooled.
Eldon then modified the molds with added details such as seat upholstery and body louvers.
Unfortunately, the only people who could corroborate this one way or the other are now pushing daisies or in a brass pot over a fireplace's mantle...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts