SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
What are the chassis that you use for small cars?

The cars that I have built or modified are generally big enough to permit
the use of the HRS2 chassis (the smaller bodies sometimes required some trimming). But now I want to build
some cars that are just too small for the HRS2 chassis.

What are the readily available alternatives?

I know there are the PCS chassis, the Sebring chassis (MRRC), the Slot Classic chassis, the Proto Slot Kit metallic chassis.
On the other hand, I have no experience with them. Would love to hear of your experience with them, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Is there any chassis for small cars that accepts a long can motor?

Thanks in advance

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Penelope Pitlane do one that might be useful. "Inline Competition". Takes standard long can motor.

Currently in process of trying to build an RMS Datto 510 based on it (just one of many things in progress).

Embs

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
When I did an Ocar MGC GT and my Citroen H van I used the PCS and di a bit of surgery on the guide "tongue" section to shorten the wheelbase. It worked fine. Its not a great chassis but it works ok and there was a recent thread on how to make them run better.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
I think you need to buy one first

Think about the guidepost and whether it is robust. Think about the axle bearing holes and whether they are good. Think about whether the parts fit together well. Then buy as many as you need. I recently built two up and they were OK, but nothing special. I think people like these chassis because they are metal and very shiny, but they add little - if anything - to a good plastic chassis.

Also buy a PCS chassis. The only real problem is that the front axle movement is excessive for many small cars but this is easily fixed.

Then you can decide which is better.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Screwneck,

Thank you for the warning. The reason I want to try these more than the PCS chassis is because they allow long can motors and also sidewinders motor positions. I would gladly use the HRS2 chassis which I think is fantastic, but they will not fit.

I have a more demanding question: Is there any chassis available that fits in a scalex Mini?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (rallyP @ 25 Feb 2012, 19:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a more demanding question: Is there any chassis available that fits in a scalex Mini?

I have recently built an Austin Healey Sprite using the PCS chassis, this Airfix kit shelled car has the same wheelbase as the Scalextric Mini but if you are going to use scale 10" wheels you are going to be struggling for ground clearance. Nevertheless it shows how small you can go with a PCS chassis.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.