SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a club racer I tend to by lots of parts for tuning my race cars, I also tend to race a variety of different brands of car. Consequently I end up with little boxes of gears, pinions all different sizes colours etc. Now I'm getting to an age when my eyes are beginning to fail me too, which doesn't help matters much.

This is what I mean if this just had 34Z on it as well it would be perfect. I'm not asking for engraving just a colour code.

Isn't it time that we got a consensus from all the manufacturers on performance parts so that all the parts are colour coded the same. So that I/we can pick up a gear check the key and know what size it is, (without having to pass it to my son to count the teeth for me!)

I know there would be a cry of cost, but why should there be, all the manufacturers already to paint /colour their parts as it is so why not use a universal code, and have universal parts. Let quality alone would determine the cost we all have our favoured hop up parts manufacturer though this would just make life that little bit easier all-round.

·
Rich Dumas
3,983 Posts
If I were you I would not hold my breath while I waited for the manufacturers to standardize parts. It might happen when every club on the planet decides to run with the same rules. Here are charts for Slot.it gears. Looks like I need to add a few more gears! When you take a gear out of the package you could scratch the tooth count on it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
A trouble with colour codes is there are many many dozens, perhaps as many as a few hundred types of gears but how many easily recognisable different colours are there? Sure if you use slightly different shades of each colour there are plenty, but how easy would that be to use.

And you know who dosen't always stick to their own colour code

Cannot see the manufacturers agreeing with one another anyway!

·
Ian
99 Posts
Interesting responses so far, the general consensus is it's a good idea, however it'll never happen, which seems to be a shame, because in my mind it so easily could. I was just thinking of the benefits for everyone. (Not just the old codgers like me!) I am a fan of "all" the competition slotcar manufactures, who produce a tuning parts list, surely this has to be of benefit to them too. I have it in the back of my mind it could be helpful to retailers too but I can't think why?

RichD thanks for the table, I do use that too, I have the slot.it booklet and it lives in the top of my racebox. Though we race so many different classes at our club slot.it are not always the answer. We have a particularly small twisty track on which we have had more success with other brands in our Sport/GT class. Don't get me wrong I love Slot.it cars and race in the Slot.it Challenge but they just don't suit our particular track. This is probably half of my battle, I need spares for so many different brands once they are out of their packets I forget what size they are.

The storage of all these gorgeous little parts is another problem in its own right. If like me you end up building a collection of these parts then there are the small sectioned boxes for those removed from the packets, with several other business card size boxes of those still in their packets. I'm soon going to need a second race box just for parts.

There's another point too why are all the offsets all just white?

I have some very clever friends, who have the patients to write on each the number of teeth, I wish I could see well enough to do this myself, and had a steady enough hand to actually do it too.

I'm sure I'm not the first, and I'm sure I won't be the last to raise these points but we could start looking at other parts too.

Just looking at this I must be blind, have no patients, I don't have a steady hand but like to moan! But to be quite honest I'm just a normal guy who gets over enthusiastic about his slotcars and would like a bit of uniformity between manufacturers.

Alan I've drifted away from Digital myself though I still have the SSD I just don't use it, but yes why not, perhaps it's time to see if we can get them to talk to us or should that be listen. Or perhaps I should just add a Grump sign to my avatar

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Ian.
good moan!
There is no reason why makers can't agree a standard colour code for STANDARD gears. All normal iniline Scalex type gears from the makers could go this way. Indeed most of them have at least tried to do this. The problem starts with the offset (slot It) inline gears and all the different diameters of A/W- S/W gears that are available. This 'problem' has an very simple answer; Stamp the gear thus; A/W-17.5mm-34T. S/W 18mm-36T. O/S/I 29 T. The same could be applied to pinions, although you would need a 'glass' to see the stampings. A code key could be on every gear packet,...end of problem...cost next to nothing for the maker.
Regards Bill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.