SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Kevs Racing Bits
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Number 13

Black cats and the number 13 have always been considered unlucky, and definitely were so for this Modified stock car driver in the early-1950s.

The number 13 is considered unlucky practically everywhere, but the superstition has some interesting consequences in the racing world. NASCAR numbers the pits so that no crew gets stuck working in the number 13 spot, lest they bring bad luck to the driver or the car. Championship driver Joe Weatherly once qualified 13th for a race, but NASCAR allowed him to start in position 12a instead.

And though F1 driver Michael Schumacher established a preference for odd numbers, 13 wasn't among them. However, when Formula One drivers were offered the chance to pick permanent numbers for the 2014 season, Pastor Maldonado, a Venezuelan racing driver, decided to take his chances with number 13.

So then what could possibly go wrong when Mercedes rolled out the W13 for this years F1 season...

Registered
Prodrive/Subaru designated the 2007 Impreza WRC "S12b", following-on from the S12 of 2006 and preceding the S14 of 2008.

Reactions: munter

Registered
Certainly, Mark. Alberto had great superstition about the number 13, and multiples thereof.

Alberto's father, Antonio, died on 26 July 1925 at the age of 36.

Alberto died on 26 May1955 aged 36.

Father had lived for 13,466 days, whereas Alberto lived for 13,463 days. There are many other coincidences involving the number 13 with the Ascaris, but they seem to go on for ever.

Premium Member
In China and Japan, it is the number 4 which is considered unlucky because it sounds very much like the word for 鈥渄eath鈥. Many hotels there do not have a 4th floor and car number plates ending in 4 are avoided. Yamaha has a range of motorcycles in the lates 60鈥檚 and 70鈥檚, the YDS2, YDS3 but there was never a YDS4 but there was a YDS5.

Registered
In Italy no. 13 is not even known as an unlucky number. For them 17 is the equal of our 13. They hate it. For them Thursday 17th is like our Friday 13th.

So you are probably just viewing things from our own Anglo Saxon world view!

馃槈A

Registered
How can something as abstract as a number be unlucky?

Ever heard of an unlucky letter of the alphabet?

Load of claptrap!

Reactions: StuBeeDoo

Premium Member
How can something as abstract as a number be unlucky?

Ever heard of an unlucky letter of the alphabet?

Load of claptrap!
Yes, I agree鈥.. Touch wood鈥.!;)

Registered
Always been a thing in my Family, Friday 13th doesn't get us but Saturday 14th does.
An old School mate was born on Friday 13th and he always found 13 lucky, its one of those things like stepping on pavement cracks or Black cats, it's been around so long its subconciously instilled in us.

Registered
I agree with Grumpy and Mike. A load of poppycock. We're very sceptical we Virgos.
I laughed at this quote 馃槀 .... Until I remembered that I am a virgo!!!! 馃槼鈾

Sleeve Hat Cap Font T-shirt

Reactions: Trisha

Premium Member

Registered
A large full moon should rise above the horizon this evening. 'Tis also an event that many associate with misfortune and enigmatic behaviour among animals and people. For what they're worth, statistics appear to show that there is an increase in all sorts of bizarre and grotesque behaviour during a full moon, but it might be just coincidence.

A pic below of last evening's moon, a small satellite planet that is similar to Herefordshire at present. Both are seemingly without water.
Sky Atmosphere Plant Cloud Natural landscape

1 - 20 of 23 Posts