SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve just been studying some old Jouef literature.
On a French sales leaflet from 1964 there is a Formula 1 car advertised alongside the BRM, Lotus & Ferrari F1 cars.
They have called it Voiture "Bleue" Formule 1.
A catalogue number was allocated to it- 358.
358 actually became the catalogue number of the type 1 Alpine 3000 four years later in 1968.
Voiture "Bleue" F1 obviously never reached production, which seems a shame as Jouef only produced 3 F1 cars until the addition of the Matra in 1970.
Question for you F1 nuts out there.
Was there a real F1 team called "Bleue" in the early 60s, or am I right in assuming that this would have been a generic release by Jouef?
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It has been suggested by a nice French chap that it could have been based on a Rene Bonnet (who?
) F3 car .
Cheers,
Kev

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Kev: The "Bleue" was perhaps just a Jouef phantom to make up for the absence of a French F1 car at the time, but there was a Bonnet F2 car in 1964.
Rene Bonnet was the "B" in the famous DB marque of successful small sports-cars in the 1940s and 50s.
After his partnership with Charles Deutsch broke up in 1961, Bonnet produced his own cars with Renault engines, including the Djet coupe, a Formula Junior and the F2.
The single-seaters were unsuccessful, Renault withdrew its sponsorship, and Bonnet's operation was then taken over by Matra, becoming the basis of Matra Sport.
Rob J

·
Slot King
2,607 Posts
Kev, the "Matra" Djet by Jouef is in fact a Bonnet Djet, but produced after the takeover.
Funnily enough, Renault eventually took over the Matra factory (to get their hands on the Espace design I believe)

Here is his first design

Joel

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info & photos chaps.
A nice French chap has PMd me a pic of the Bonnet F2 car.
It looks very similar to the illustration in the Jouef catalogue.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Let's remember that "voiture bleue" simply means "blue car" and that in the rebirth years of French car racing in the 1960's after years of postwar 950's hopes and humiliation, there was a state project of bringing a "blue" car to the top of the F1 ladder. it eventually happened but the car was yellow!
So Jouef may have tried to capitalize on the national hope under their "great" general that was still in charge then.
Rene Bonnet indeed built a Renault powered F2 car featuring a weird suspension that was a total loser.
That was just after Deutch and Bonnet split, Deutch creating CD that used Panhard, then Peugeot engines in super streamlined GT cars.

·
Registered
361 Posts
QUOTE (TSRF @ 24 Sep 2011, 16:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Let's remember that "voiture bleue" simply means "blue car" and that in the rebirth years of French car racing in the 1960's after years of postwar 950's hopes and humiliation, there was a state project of bringing a "blue" car to the top of the F1 ladder. it eventually happened but the car was yellow!

I don't get it...I thought it was blue Matra?

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Pertti,
MATRA did not exist as a car manufacturer when the catalog was printed.

QUOTE On a French sales leaflet from 1964 there is a Formula 1 car advertised alongside the BRM, Lotus & Ferrari F1 cars.
They have called it Voiture "Bleue" Formule 1.
Also there was no French F1 car in 1964, the last one they had was in 1956.
"Voiture"= car, "bleue" = blue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts