Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Southend Slot Racing Club runs monthly race nights for retro and classic slot car racing in addition to the regular weekly club nights.

There are a healthy number of kitbashers/scratchbuilders in the club and at this year's AGM a couple of new classes were voted in - "Unsung Heroes" which is for 1950s/60s production sports cars to be built with the PCS chassis, low powered specified motor and narrow tyres and "Tin Tops Thrash" for 1950s/60s saloon cars using either a Penelope Pitlane or PCS chassis with a 25,000 yellow ScaleAuto slimline or S-can motor.

The unsung heroes class is more or less based on Pete Shepherd's proxy series run a couple of years ago as well as his annual PCS Tendring race meeting. We are hoping that the cars will look nice and that the regs will prevent it from being just another speed fest class.

Here are a couple of cars I started building this week, an AC Ace and a Lotus Elite. The Ace is an OCAR shell and the Elite is a recast of a Supershells item, both cars have the standard PCS kit motor as supplied by Pendles. I'll post some progress shots during the builds.

I'm really looking forward to this class which will start in the New Year.

David

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Hi David, this looks interesting.

Is there any more detail on the low powered motor, for example, rpm range. I would like to pop down at some point but would rather use some of my own stock motors than having to buy more spares etc.

cheers fred

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
hi fred the motor will be the standard black endbell mabuchi supplied buy pendels for £4ish, or comes supplied with the pcs chassis kits and rated at 19000 rpm at 12v which is what they will be run at, hope to see u there sometime cheers alan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred

We have specified this motor

PSRAC4 18,000 Scalex/Fly replacement £4.00

It would be nice if you could make it to one of our retro meetings.

David

·
Pete Shepherd
1,689 Posts
You've made a good start David, I'm looking forward to seeing the Elite when it is finished. My first car is coming along well and is waiting to be sprayed but the weather is holding me back at the moment

Pete

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (scudbong @ 12 Dec 2011, 15:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You've made a good start David, I'm looking forward to seeing the Elite when it is finished. My first car is coming along well and is waiting to be sprayed but the weather is holding me back at the moment

Pete

Pete

My Elite is going to be DAD10, the well known Les Leston car from the early 1960s. I'm looking forward to seeing your car, no doubt it will be something special. This weather is making painting slot cars very difficult and I've got a pretty long queue for spraying over Christmas subject to the temperature.

Alan

I spotted your half finished TR4 in your box at the club last week, you've finished it very quickly - it looks excellent.

I've dug out a couple of my Airfix shelled slot cars for sorting out for this club class.

The TR4 has never raced, it has a scratchbuilt chassis but never really had a race meeting or class to run in so it will have a PCS chassis fitted for next season. The MGB did the Unsung Heroes Proxy series and proved a bit off the pace so I'll see if I can get it better set up this time.

David

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi David
You probably dont need me to tell you that DAD10 was a different body shape to the standard elite
surprising really as you might have thought that costin would have had input into the car when it was designed but apparently not
I may have somewhere a very good piccy of DAD10 taken at crytal palace in 1962 if you want it

cheerstony

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony

You're quite right, I do know that Leston's car was modified with the slightly more aerodynamic and smoother nose and a different radiator opening but I'm not going to modify this shell, I'm just going for the colour scheme that he ran the car in. Funnily enough I have almose every book you can get on Lotus and yet I've only got one picture of DAD10 and it is at Crystal Palace - perhaps the same picture you've mentioned?

David

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi David
no it wont be the same picture as mine as the the one i have was taken by me
over the last ten years in the motoring press there seems to have be 3 or 4 cars thar have come up for auction claiming to be dad10 so I supect whatever you do or dont do to your shell folk wont be able to complain any way
look forward to seeing the finished article

cheers tony

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The last time I saw DAD10 race was at Goodwood in 2005 or 06, here are a couple of my snaps of it. I don't know the provenance of this particular car.

I thought I would put together another tiddler for the Unsung class;

This is an Airfix kit bodyshell that I put a modified Scalex chassis in about 9 years ago but I've put a cut down PCS chassis in it this morning. Hopefully I will get time to finish it for this Thursday's "run what you brung" night at the Southend club so I can give it a test run

David

·
fred
1,608 Posts
How do you feel about George Turners resin chassis being used as well as the PCS. I have contemplated getting one of his MG's but I also have a very cute frog eye sprite finished.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This morning I put one of the £4 motors in this Tendring PCS Trophy Jaguar to use for the Unsung class.

I'll try it out at the club on Thursday. I also reduced the Airfix kit Frogeye wheels this morning to use them as inserts for the aluminium wheels but it was far too cold to spray them, hopefully I'll get them done before Thursday.

David

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
hi fred as long as the car has the specified control motor i would not be averse to it as i dont think it would give u a performance advantage but check with pete just to be sure ,here is the link to our website http://www.southendslotracing.com/ so u can check the dates and other classes,if u dont have cars for any of the other classes let me know when ur coming and ill bring u some spares cheers alan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (honestjudge @ 18 Dec 2011, 19:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How do you feel about George Turners resin chassis being used as well as the PCS. I have contemplated getting one of his MG's but I also have a very cute frog eye sprite finished.

Sorry Fred, this class is purely for PCS chassis and the £4 specified motor as we want to keep it as simple, cheap and cheerful and on as even a playing field as possible to hopefully encourage a few others who haven't yet plucked up the courage to try some retro racing.

We have got other retro classes running at the club for "Wolves" spec sportscars, saloons and grand prix cars which your George Turner MGB could race in.

All the best
David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I managed to spray the wheels and wheel inserts yesterday during lunch even though it was cold and drizzling. I think they set the car off well and make it look like a road going sports car used as a weekend racer

It is on skinny tyres so I don't expect great performance when I run it tomorrow night at the club but I like to think this is the type of slot car that Pete and I imagined when we discussed trying this class.

David

1 - 20 of 52 Posts