· Pete Shepherd
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive design

Blue Motor vehicle Hood Rolling Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Hood Automotive design

I picked this body up recently, I've had plenty of Atlas GT40's but none like this.
There are plenty of differences between this and the normal body. Obviously the more common body on the right doesn't have its chrome trim or interior fitted but they are not needed to demonstrate the differences.
It looks like the additional rear body mounts have been added afterwards and are moulded in a different blue so perhaps not original.
Can anyone shed any light on this body please, a later updated version perhaps?
I believe it's pretty rare but maybe I've had my eyes closed but I think not.

· Registered
814 Posts
Yes Pete, unusual but not very rare, some of these surface from time to time on Ebay. This seems to be a second, simplified version, with no separate small parts and updated front, made by Atlas before handling their stuff to Faller. Here is the one I have beside the more usual first version:

It came to me from USA, body plus unchromed wheel inserts, painted as shown.

There was also a second version of the Porsche

also without separate small parts.

· Registered
21 Posts
I have one of these late edition 1/32 Atlas GT40's as well, purchased new by my father at a Wisconsin Arlan's Department Store for .97 cents. It came in a standard Atlas GT40 box but included two additional instruction sheets, one is for assembly of an updated guide flag which differs from the guide flag shown in the standard assembly instructions and the second a note (as follows) as to the new updated body. Also as mentioned in the above post the wheel insert & k/o tree is without chrome plating.

"CHROME PART IN THIS NEWER VERSION OF THE FAMOUS
FORD-GT HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED FOR A MORE RUGGED
RACING CONSTRUCTION. PLANS FOR ASSEMBLY REMAIN THE SAME.

ATLAS TOOL CO INC."

· Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Actually it had little to do with Atlas, and everything to do with Marusan in Japan. The changes had been suggested to the Japanese company by Atlas in-house consultant, Jose Rodriguez Jr.
Makes an interesting variation of the British built GT40 as modified in Los Angeles for the 1965 Daytona event which they won. But if you do that version, you need to find some mag wheels to replace the Dunlop wire wheels... while not 100% accurate, the Cox 1/32 scale "Shelby wheels" are good enough.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
I have yet to even see a Marusan kit!! Very nice, and I would say from my experience, a rare variation. Olskool, are you saying yours in the day came as a complete kit with running gear? My previous info said it came as a body kit only. I finally assembled one as suggested above by PDL. The real deals (2 team cars) reside here in Colorado at the Shelby Collection museum.

· Registered
21 Posts
Olskool, are you saying yours in the day came as a complete kit with running gear?

That is what I'm saying. I have the original assembled car, kit box, standard instruction sheet with two supplement sheets described above and unplated wheel inserts still on the sprue. Has been in our possession about 55 years since new and was the only Atlas car in my father's fleet.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
I wanted this version body. And as I have the Atlas both as a build one (the actual slotscar that appear in the Roger Greenslade book) and a MB one. I opted for the cheaper second version body by buying a Faller version. If you wanted the correct wheels for the Daytona winner, just get some Halibrands inserts i.e,. Autohobbies or repros.
The main thing that seems to be missing on many Atlas Ford GT's is the very narrow windscreen wiper.
Regards Allan

· Premium Member
5,613 Posts
Yes, both the Ford and the Porsche were issued with the updated bodies, but not many were produced before Atlas pulled the rug under their slot car program. Some of the unsold kits and bodies were then sold to Faller, the balance to Oscar Koveleski at Auto World.
I have seen the Ford body in dark blue or white, the Porsche in gray or red. But they are not commonly found, then and now!

· Pete Shepherd
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. So as I expected it is fairly rare but not the holy grail!
As mine has some plastic missing on the rear panel I will repair it then repaint it.

Thanks again

Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts