SlotForum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
David Farrow
1,271 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am more than a little bit concerned about changing regulations, the whole idea behind this CSCRA thing was to come up with a constant set of rules which having taken the time to build a model we can race it more than once. There are some events I don't do simply because I don't have the time to build another model to another set of regulations and it is extremely frustrating when you have built a model to find it is rendered illegal or uncompetetive because of rule changes. It is a paradox to change any of the existing regulations for this very reason. I have only just completed two cars which are now illegal. For many years I didn't attend Dick Smiths festival becasue I didn't have a suitable sports car, now that I have finally built one it is rendered illegal. I appreciate we would be delighted to see more people at these events but I don't know if the current regulations have stopped anybody from attending so there seems little or no point in changing the existing regulations.

The idea of adding more classes to enable some of the younger members to race cars that they may have seen also seems illogical. I thoroughly enjoyed building and racing a couple of the Brookland cars and I can assure you, I was not around when they were first raced.

The proposals are for a whopping 28 different classes of cars and in a schedule that is already stretching the capabilities of even the most industrious of scratch builders I can't help feeling that adding in more classes is the right way to go.

This is of course only a matter of opinion, and I could be wrong.

Yours
Loud Bloke

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi David.
I think with any changes there are always winners and losers. Mick did it by the book, bothering to take votes from the regular classic/retro runners and these are the consensus results.
As for the increase in Classes I think this is all good. It is quite possible, in fact likely, that no club or individual will organise an event to many of, or indeed any of the 'new' classes in the near future. The good reason for having them is if someone, club or individual does want to promote an event for these models, there are sensible, well thought our rules ready to use, all on one website.
The vast majority of models so far built to VECRA/CSCRA rules will still be able to compete in the 2011 version(s) of the class rules.
Regards Bill.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
QUOTE I didn't attend Dick Smiths festival becasue I didn't have a suitable sports car, now that I have finally built one it is rendered illegal.

But that assumes that we will have the same sports class every year!

·
Gary Skipp
6,651 Posts
QUOTE (loud bloke @ 4 Dec 2010, 18:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The idea of adding more classes to enable some of the younger members to race cars that they may have seen also seems illogical. I thoroughly enjoyed building and racing a couple of the Brookland cars and I can assure you, I was not around when they were first raced.

The newer classes aren't so much to do with the age of the particpants but to do with the fact that the old standards viewed anything post 1972 as contemporary. We now have some guidlines to accomodate the 1970s and 1980s retrospectively as classic racing eras.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
QUOTE The sub-headings (such as "The front engine sports car era" in Class 3) could read in different ways, some as indicative and some as definative.
Hi Dick,
These were only put in to indicate the thought process behind the dates chosen.

We looked at things like:
The first Le Mans race after WWII.
The last win at Le Mans for a front engined car.
The first win at Le Mans for a rear engined car.
The banning of the 7litre cars at the end of 1967.
The dramatic increase in tyre widths through 1968.
etc etc.
We have actually written out a time line for all three classes, GP, Sports and Saloon, looking for dates when significant changes to the cars occured.

I think that most of these sub headings can be left out of the final version when it is all approved and agreed.

Cheers.
Mick.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi Mick

QUOTE We have actually written out a time line for all three classes, GP, Sports and Saloon, looking for dates when significant changes to the cars occured.

Very thorough, I would quite like a copy of that time line......Early Birds will do.

I fact I think the description of the sports classes are quite useful. Perhaps leave them in enclosing them in brackets with a note that the wording in brackets are for guidance only.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.