SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just got the APB C7042 used and it came with C7002 controller witch seem to be very basic compare to my older parma controller that I was using for analog system. I'm looking for good upgrade controller. What are my option wire or wireless. Looking for something available in Canada / USA?

RamJet-X?

TRUSPEED ?

SCORPIUS?

Slot-it?

Any advice ?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Don't forget that opposed to analog systems, once you use a RMS like RCS64, all the curves, braking etc. can be controlled from within the software and linked to you as a driver. So you don't need all the knobs and settings, actually not all of them will work on SSD.

I have used the scorpius controller (dongle needed) and slot it SCP1 (wired) but actually the default scalextric controller has given (and still does) us enough satisfaction to keep using it. It needs cleaning now and than, or sometimes replacement but the price is right to justify that. Only 'issue' is, it is wired but I can live with that.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Truspeed also does a wireless system that works brilliantly. There's a base box (from SCS) that plugs into the APB, then the wireless controllers talk to that. You can start with as few as one controller, then add more as your needs grow, up to the maximum of six. I have three of them, and they work very well. I can vouch for them working with RCS64, but I haven't explored the other RMSes. Also, the SSD IV wireless controller can be used wired with an add on lead, so if you fancy going wireless later, you can buy the controllers first, then buy the wireless receiver box later. Your user experience should remain the same; you'll just be able to do it from further away
biggrin.png

That said, the Truspeed website shows that the SSD IV controllers are out of stock, and I don't seem to be able to reach the SCS website (http://slotcarsolutions.com). So this post may be entirely irrelevant
sad.png

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have the stock C7002, lots of spares too. I added cable extensions to them to reach around the track better. I also cleaned them with Inox and replaced the springs with the Parma P368 springs for a better feel, more control, smoother feel. After using that setup for a short while, I went with the Scorpius controllers and never use the C7002 anymore. The Scorpius are working good for me so far. I mainly use RCS64 and SSDC. When I use ESRM I use Xbox wireless controllers. I only race Digital. Lots to choose from now.

Enjoy,

Shad

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Truspeed also does a wireless system that works brilliantly. There's a base box (from SCS) that plugs into the APB, then the wireless controllers talk to that. You can start with as few as one controller, then add more as your needs grow, up to the maximum of six. I have three of them, and they work very well. I can vouch for them working with RCS64, but I haven't explored the other RMSes. Also, the SSD IV wireless controller can be used wired with an add on lead, so if you fancy going wireless later, you can buy the controllers first, then buy the wireless receiver box later. Your user experience should remain the same; you'll just be able to do it from further away :D

SCS as far as I am aware no longer make the wireless part that connects up yo the Truspeed controllers. Steve at Truspeed is finishing tests on the new Digital controller and will also be making the SCS receiver part. Controllers and receiver parts are in final testing stage I believe so watch this space.

That said, the Truspeed website shows that the SSD IV controllers are out of stock, and I don't seem to be able to reach the SCS website (http://slotcarsolutions.com). So this post may be entirely irrelevant :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What features most interest you, and how much are you prepared to spend?
I'm using standard controller that came with apb and the feel of the controller compare to a parma (I think it's discountinued) is not comparable, it's less smooth and too sensitive. Also I bought this apb used and controller are defect sometime car accelerate without pressing the controller. So I need new one but no advanced feature, just an using for beginners with break and change line.

I don't absolutely need wireless controller neither. Since I just started with scalextric, I spend a lot to get many components, so I don't want to spend too much for now on controller but off course I need good controller to have fun playing!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think the above posts can help you a lot.

The standard controllers do need occasional cleaning inside along the slider as per post #5. Also a different spring can make a lot of difference to the feel of the controller as per post #5.

If the slider is kaput they are replaceable. This is the most budget friendly option.

The cars behaviour described could also point to the electrical connection between the car and track. Scalextric Digital cars need the car braids to be in excellent condition, also the track steel rails need to be clean and track piece to track piece electrical connections need to be good. Inox is your "friend" here.

As mentioned in post #3 a RMS (race management software) can change the throttle curve making it more soft or more aggressive, It can do this for all six controllers. A special usb cord is needed to connect the APB to your computer for this, but RikoRocket is the man for these.

Hope this may be helpful, and apologies if I've over simplified.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Ooh, there's a thought. If the APB is still running the original firmware, that needs upgrading to v1.009. This helps a lot with reliability. The software is available for free, but you need to buy the USB->APB cable in order to perform the update from a Windows machine. On the plus side, that same cable is used to run the various RMSes on a PC with the APB. I see you are concerned about cost, but doing the firmware upgrade on the APB will most likely solve some of the defects you described.

Also, there have been a number of revisions to the digital chips over the years. Some versions are known to be less reliable than others. I think there's a thread on here somewhere that has pictures to help you identify if you have any of the rogue chips in your cars.

Inox MX3 (or MX-3) is digital voodoo. I kid you not. It is a lanolin based lubricant made from Australian sheep that by all reasonable considerations should have absolutely no effect on an electric slot car. But, in the digital realm, adding a drop to each track join seems to aid conductivity, and applying a drop to the braids of the car reduces arcing, improves reliability, and helps to keep the track clean. It's relatively cheap, and a bottle should last you for years.

I appreciate that this may all make Scalextric Digital sound like it is very complicated. And it certainly is more complex than any analogue system. But there is an enormous amount of knowledge and experience amongst the users of this forum. You are unlikely to encounter new problems that don't already have a solution. Your main issue coming in as a newbie is that there's a lot of information to wade through that the rest of us have learned over a much longer time period. Keep the faith, and keep asking your questions. Between us, we'll get you sorted
smile.png

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello

Thank you all these good advices. I will try to clean those C7002 as they seem to be an acceptable choice to start. I just started with Scalextric, I got an used C7042, I have order from RikoRocket a cable and Pitpro so just waiting for those item to arrive. I will then install RCS64. I'm just trying to figure all I need to start with good things. When I started in slopt car HO year ago, I replace the stock controller with some parma and it was a huge improvement so I tough it would be the same with scalextric. But I've seem it can be clean or modify so I will try this first.

Any advice where I can get the spring softer?

> STOOOO This is what I like from Scalextric, there is a lot to do to, for me playing with slot car is not only a matter of turning around, but everything around, track, scenery, computer, electronic.

This forum is very cool with quick and complet answers. Thank you all, I got a lot to learn.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Try a search for Parma 368 springs. Mine came in a 6 pack if I remember right...

The controllers are very easy to take apart and clean, Inox works great and you will need it for your track. Be sure to get some.

Once you get the cable from Riko, you can update the APB if not updated already.

Then After cleaning your controllers and replacing with Parma springs, use the "Recalibration" in RCS64 to recalibrate the controllers.

From there you can adjust power and throttle curves to your liking.

Enjoy!

Shad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice I will do that for sure. Thanks

Try a search for Parma 368 springs. Mine came in a 6 pack if I remember right...

The controllers are very easy to take apart and clean, Inox works great and you will need it for your track. Be sure to get some.

Once you get the cable from Riko, you can update the APB if not updated already.

Then After cleaning your controllers and replacing with Parma springs, use the "Recalibration" in RCS64 to recalibrate the controllers.

From there you can adjust power and throttle curves to your liking.

Enjoy!

Shad

·
Steve Hills
491 Posts
Truspeed also does a wireless system that works brilliantly. There's a base box (from SCS) that plugs into the APB, then the wireless controllers talk to that. You can start with as few as one controller, then add more as your needs grow, up to the maximum of six. I have three of them, and they work very well. I can vouch for them working with RCS64, but I haven't explored the other RMSes. Also, the SSD IV wireless controller can be used wired with an add on lead, so if you fancy going wireless later, you can buy the controllers first, then buy the wireless receiver box later. Your user experience should remain the same; you'll just be able to do it from further away
biggrin.png

That said, the Truspeed website shows that the SSD IV controllers are out of stock, and I don't seem to be able to reach the SCS website (http://slotcarsolutions.com). So this post may be entirely irrelevant
sad.png
Stu. SCS do seem to have disappeared, so I have a new system that is being tested now at a track with all 6 cars being used at once. If the tests are good then I can get into production.

·
Prof I T
11,098 Posts
Hopefully it's not another voltage applied to throttle port solution, seen to many damaged ports with those setups..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts