SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Man thats a super-sized bag of chips!

Interestingly I have suffered one instance of all 4 diodes being heated sufficiently to fall off the board. This was in a SCX Maranello, the chip sat just above the conductor rails attached to the chassis floor.

Hell of a job trying to get them back into position, dont have the tools OR the eyesight!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
QUOTE So a bit of a bodge but the only Schottky diodes I had in stock were wire ended SB130. Still 1 Amp but more importantly the forward volt drop at 1 Amp only 0.4 Volt.

Ive had 4 of these lying on my desk for some time now, finally found an hour to test my hand (and eyesight) at fitting them to a failed Saloon chip.

Im running at only 12 volts currently but the performance differential is amazing. Shame Ive' so many chips or one might think of making this a base mod. Think I'll keep this for slower cars that need a little help to be competitive, eg: SCX & Carrera cars.

The Slot.it HRS Ive just added it to is now simply wild! (and this at 12volts).

Thumbs up Rich.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I was scared Id make a mess of it. I havent done the mosfets just the diodes.
Even with my failing vision for all things tiny, I was able to do it without too much fuss. Mine sit a little high -- I left a mm or 2 in length so there was room to get the iron in place.

Apply solder to the diode legs and then whilst holding it with thin nosed pliers gently push these down into place with soldering iron.

Magnifying glass would be a great help.

Go for it.

Half an hour or less, diodes only is big improvement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.