SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
I fry a SSD chip (25k motor) after a 30 minute session, its ok till you stop, as soon as you stop you have no air flow (cooling), then the mosfet buggers up, the next time you use it , it is on full throttle by itself. Taking off the shell to expose the board, I seen the mosfet glow red and fry after trying again on track (experiment). This upgrade might be the go, I just bought a magnifying glass, mini soldering iron, and a light too, so good timing.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Maybe make air intakes real and route to board....nah only joking.

Seriously does anyone have the Farnells web address where I can order?

Anyone Downunder know a good place to order such parts? Any help appreciated.
Thanks

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (CRR @ 9 Nov 2006, 11:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the great info! I keep reading about people turning up the voltage from 12 to 13, 14, 15+. Are any mods required to the powerbase to run the higher voltage? With stock digital Scalextric cars, would I need to mod the chips to run 13-14volts?

Tests with powerbase mod showed standard cars/chips took (6 cars, 2 powerbases) 30 volts, held flat for ten seconds, then powerbases overloaded. With one powerbase it was 21 volts. Cars took it well.
I personaly am not concerned to run a standard car as hard as I can on 18 volts. Never blown a chip or a powerbase doing this, believe it or not.
I can run a standard car/chip 18 volts for ages before my nose knows something is warming up, so I just back it off a little.
Its the 25K and 30 K motors that are the problem.
I usually only get ten minutes out of a 25K motor at 17 volts, then the smell, and the board is blown, but hey wow what a great ten minutes. I actually seen the board components glowing red once when it was melting. (bench test)

Cheers

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (CRR @ 9 Nov 2006, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So, are you saying that a powerbase mod is necessary to run voltages over 12v?

No, Im saying for a normal 18K Mabuchi motor the standard chip is fine and a standard powerbase is fine. And that the Mabuchi standard motors can take lots of volts.
My only problem arises when I up the motor size.
Hope this clears things up.
Injectorman

QUOTE (NASCARUSA @ 10 Nov 2006, 00:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Injectorman.........seems you need a Rich chip.They may stall,but they dont stop,and I can say they have withstood some hard crashes.
Greg

Hi Greg,
What voltages do you run? I find with my track just upping the voltage to 16 even 18 volts is fast enough. have tried big motors for fun, but generally stick with std motors.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.