SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
@injectorman ,
farnell is in sydney , not sure of countersales though , I occasionally order over the phone for work purposes , also RS are located in each state , looking in catalogs farnell has the best selection of diodes , including the ones RichG has used and a host of other selections.
sax

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey Rich.

Beautiful work. As I am reading this I noticed a certain member by the name of Slot.it is browsing
You might want to copyright all your findings so along with the beautiful laptower you can make a million dollars releasing your findings to Scalextric (the slot.it chips I have seem pretty darn good already) seeing as they seem to have under designed everything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great work fellas!As far as frying the chip faster with the dynamic brake,I believe it is due to the motor being
run harder,as is reflected in the lap times.We have been running the 3 blue scalextric motors at 14 volt with no problem(brakes off).When the 4th car is added the base overloads. So we just use the standard motor when using 4 cars or more.

Greg

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had said earlier that we were running 3 light blue motors,It was really two blue and a 25,000 slot it motor.So we switched the slot it for a light blue.................after 20 laps we overload.So back to the 2 light blue and 1 slot it.This is actually fun changing motors to see what works.What is the limit of amp output on the power base?I am guessing about 7?But likes 6 better.Now that a few guys take there cars home,no telling what is on the track
.We just raced 3 hard hours,all is fine.SLOT_ON.

Greg

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Rich,

sent of the chip yesterday, sorry for the delay. should be with you by friday. also has a 2nd stamp in there and my return Address.

Thanks

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well I eventually have found time to get back to this. Did a few more tests and have come to the conclusion that the best value for money mod is.

ZXMC3A16D to replace the N02 & P03 output mosfets
20BQ3A16D to replace the diodes.

Look back earlier in the thread if you want to see the spec and prices.

The mosfet is tricky to fit in particular bending the legs.

The diodes are larger than the original ones but actually fit quite well.

I have repaired and modded 6 of the failed boards that Greg sent me, they will be on the post on Monday.
Will be interesting to see if they survive. I have only lightly tested them.

Here they are ready to go. In practice the only faults I found were desoldered diodes, failed diodes and failed output mosfets, usually N02. The boards that visually looked ok all had N02 failed.

Matt before you ask.
Your F1 board will be done over the weekend and will also be in the post on Monday.

Rich

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Thanks Rich

Don't suppose you could do a side by side pic, of my F1, and one of greg's that failed similarly, to see how the board changes the repair (and i want to see how small they are compared
)

Matt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello!

The boys(really men)here at Kentucky Speedway egarly awhite the chips for testing.We plan on using the 35,000 rpm motor,in the nascar .Im thinking the powerbase will only run two at a time,but thats what testing is all about.I will post the various lap times with the diffent motors and volts used.I also hope to pick up a digital camera to send recent photos of the track layout.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Ok here is the modded F1 Board. had to use the 15MQ040N Schottky diodes as the ones used on the Saloon board were too big. Should not affect performance, they are just a bit more expensive.

The mosfet was slightly easier to fit as the pads were closer together and the legs needed less tweaking.

These are going off to Matt who will hopefully report back on how they perform.

Rich

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
It was, the board you sent was burnt through. I "borrowed"
a couple of Gregs failed ones from the big pile, so you have a spare. You need to thank Greg.

Rich

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
WOW! a free chip! i thought it was just photoshopped, and that you used these instead of this. Thank you kind sir!

No Performance for a while, need to buy the 956 at slot rally first

Matt

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Rich,

They both arrived safely, and our now awaiting homes inside 2 slot.it's

I don't suppose you could do another one? or are you going to set up a small business? i would be fine with 2-3 Pounds for one chip, aslong as it covered the components.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi Matt

Glad the arrived OK. I suggest you give these two a try and see how they perform relative to the standard chip before worrying about any more.

It is not viable to modify on an ongoing basis. The Saloon board components are £1.90 and the F1 £3.66 because the cheaper diodes do not fit. Each board takes at least half an hour to modify and test. It may be possible to shoehorn the cheaper diodes into the F1 Board.

So even with the Saloon board costs you would have to charge at least £5 to make it worthwhile. I do not think that people would be willing to pay a total of £15 for a board.

Anyway we are getting ahead of ourselves here. We need to know how they perform. If they do very well with higher RPM motors and give the performance improvment I expect then perhaps people will be willing to pay £15 for an uprated board?

Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there guys,
I've been looking through these threads to see if I can find mention of anyone "blowing the led" without success.
I've got a chip which drives ok but fails to set a LC so I'm thinking LED failure.
I've disconnected the led from the rest of the board (saloon) and run a put a miltimeter on it and get no continuity - so its blown..yes? or are LEDs more complicated than the old light bulbs?
And is that little board its attached too anything more than a stange way to do a connector?
Thanks for any help,
cheers
Tony

·
Administrator
10,408 Posts
QUOTE (Tonyd @ 6 Sep 2006, 17:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've disconnected the led from the rest of the board (saloon) and run a put a miltimeter on it and get no continuity - so its blown..yes? or are LEDs more complicated than the old light bulbs?
Tony
They are not the same as light bulbs! If your multimeter has a diode setting try that, LED = light emitting diode
Riko

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just recieved the chips from Rich today.........I just had time for a quick test,but so far..........Excellent!!!

I hooked it up to a 35,000 rpm motor,ran laps with voltage from 12 to 15 volts............no problems.......But the best part is it never drew more than 2 amps.This means at least three cars and maybe four should be able to run at once.(due to the power base).These cars are seriously fast now,cant wait to get 3 or 4 cars on the track.Ill post more soon. Rich.....this is a very big step forward!

Greg

·
Tel
4,124 Posts
It sounds promising ... how do the components you upgraded, compare to the ones on the slot.it chips, RichG ?

41 - 60 of 171 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.