SlotForum banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I really need to read twice, solder once.

My first two attempts would have been fine except I didn't have a print out when I was doing the work. Fitted the 4 diodes but for some reason the bigger chip I swapped for the one on the board instead of replacing the two tiny chips, no supprise that they didn't work.

Lets hope Farnells stock the chips I through away so I can undo my mistake

F1 Chip three looks like a winner though

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
The biggest chip on the Scalextric PCB is the micro-processor, the other big one is an 8-legged voltage regulator ...... let's hope that it's the latter of the two that your threw away ....

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Greg,

Yeah, the 8 legged on, it looks the same as the chip I need to add so got confused

Its a learning curve and even if the chips are dead its still not an expensive learning curve, just an annoying one.

As I say though, its the voltage regulator so I will simply get the part number and order two more (hopefully) and the replace the chip again.

Doing the upgrades gives me something to do at lunch that doesn't involve sitting in front of a computer screen so I will be upgrading LOTS of chips

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Just had a look at the F1 DPR chip, I don't think I will be upgrading those!!!!

Oh, Does anyone know if the F1 DPR will be sufficient to run a Fly Truck? (Not sure what motor it has)

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
QUOTE even if the chips are dead its still not an expensive learning curve
Without the voltage regulator there is a strong possibility that you may have fried most everything else .....

Two roasted chips is ~£23 so far ....... sounds like an expensive learning curve to me ....

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Not in comparison to some learning curves

Plus, the PSU I was testing it with is a little on the posh side and simply put 0v through so they may still be alive.

·
ParrotGod
10,514 Posts
So Colin
it seems that you have managed to do the upgrade (at least from your reply to the other thread). Any pictures on how a normal modder would perform the upgrade?
I have tried to look for the bits that I need here in NZ but with no luck using these codes: ZXMC3A16D and 20BQ3A16D.
Nothing comes up from the online store where I looked up. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I fried a Scalextric F1 chip (C7005) with a Shark 30 motor. So 30000rpm looks indeed to heavy for the chip :)
Time to try out your chip repair tips !
Today I received the mosfets from Farnell and I could not longer waite to give it a try !
I did not desolder the PO3 & NO2 devices like you sugest but cut them away with a small sissor (my solder equipment and skills are not so good as yours...)
Mounted the ZXMC3A16D and ....... yess !
The chip is working again !
I don't have the feeling that the performance is better but so far I run about 40 laps of 7", my shark 30 was quit hot but the chip was still doing the job !
So thanks for modification tip^s !
I still have 2 other 30K rpm motors so I will need to upgrade 2 more chips but I don't have defective chips for the moment.
In the case someone have fried chips, don't trough them away may be better to send them to me :) Thanks !
BTW, I allso received 5 pcs of ZXMP3A16D (P insteat of C) does someone know the difference ? the casing is the same....

Thanks !

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
This is a hugely helpful thread... even now as I read in 2018!

I have one answer to one question... the difference between C and P... as per above post...

ZXMC3A16D is a combination of one n-channel and one p-channel MOSFETs... just what is required for the output stage of an SSD chip.

ZXMP3A16D is a combination of two p-channel MOSFETs and hence not suitable for this application.

So... 2 years on... I have some clarification if anyone is still interested...

Meanwhile... again... this is a very helpful and informative thread... many thanks all!

C

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Two years on and better, single MOSFETs are available, examples can be seen here. I now only use the dual MOSFETs on Slot.it chips

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Thanks Greg, i have to say i am a great amirer of your encyclopaedia of chip repairs i.e. your above link and your amazing repairs and upgrades... keep up the great work!!!

C

161 - 171 of 171 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.