SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been readin about upgrading options etc, and having a sport set already with approx 100 cars, i've decided maybe the time is comin that I upgrade to digital with the 6 car pb. so my question is, whats the cheaper option, buying the scalex platinum set so i can the controllers, 6 cars, LC and crossovers with the 6car pb, or ive noticed jadlamracing do a custom set, that includes a crossover, 2 controllers, 2 cars and the 6 car pb. the platinum set i can get for approx £400 but i dont really need anymore track bar the crossovers, and the jadlamracing set is £200 but dont really get alot in regards to the cars etc, or is there another set that would suit me?

thanks

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
With 100 cars, you don't need more cars, just chips. ;-)
But, digital can result in a bit more crashing, especially as the racers learn to slow down not to hit people in their same lane, so some resistant cars is not a bad thing.
You don't need the track, though, and you can run your analog cars in analog mode just fine, so really no NEED to chip them, though you'll probably want to chip some of them later on, especially the ones you really like and have 4 or more of in the same class.
Other than custom sets like the Jadlam one you mentioned, I don't think there are any that come with the APB.
I guess the answer is to pick the one that fits your budget better. If money is a concern, then get the Jadlam upgrade instead. If you can swing the 400, get the Platinum set, and sell off the track you don't need?

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i would opt for the platinum set and sell on what ever track you dont need. It is an excellent way of getting into digital..

Do you intend to chip the cars you own already.
if so have a look in the chipping database as most cars can be converted to one form of chip.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only thing with the jadlam set is, there's only 1 powerpack and im sure i read, to run 6 cars, you need 2 powerpacks. approx 70 of the cars i have are all still in boxed un-used condition, but i do have a few duplicates of some cars so wouldnt mind in sticking some digital chips in those ones. i didnt really think the track would sell if im honest about it, but having looked on fleabay, maybe thats an option. he APB is defintly the route i wanna go down, as i'll prob add in a pit lane game (maybe pit-pro depending on funds) and a decent RMS on the laptop. just wasnt sure if there was any other cheaper options of the jadlam set but guess thats hard pushed. i can get the APB for about £110 but dont think there's a powerpack included with that, and most the powerpacks ive seen are about £35 :S

·
Registered
468 Posts
darrenmcc,

I was in exactly the same place as you (number of cars too!). Lots of track and analog cars. I searched the web and found a good deal on a new APB from a reputable hobby store then just bought the LCs I'd need. Now that I'm converted over, my biggest issue is chips, cannot chip cars fast enough to run my old favorites. Yes, I could run analog mode - but I went digital for a reason

Good Luck...

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
yes you do need the 2 psu to be able to run all 6 cars...

As long as the track is new it will fetch decent money on ebay wich should allow you to convert into chips etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rakete - Yeah im thinkin i mite be able to get all the parts i need for less than the platinum set, but at the same time, as bigbird says, if i can sell all the track i get in the set, then i'd imagine there wouldnt be to much difference by the time i buy the APB, the power supply, some controllers, LC's and the 6 cars is a bonus

hmm i'm goin to keep an eye and see how much the track goes for then make my mind up, mite even pop into a local shop and see wot i can "haggle" a APB for lol

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
a forum member managed to bag a used apb for £40 last week of the bay. My local well known nationwide model shop is asking £150 for brand new ones.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi
The platinum set is a great deal you get over £700 of gear.
I bought one at chrismas for £300 brill .
plus you always use plenty of track even if you cut it up for your pit lane.
regards ade.

·
Registered
468 Posts
darrenmcc - sounds like a good plan. I would have considered that route too, but I didn't want the hassle of doing a sale. In fact I'm sitting on a ton of track since I had to downsize my digi track from the monster analog I was running. If cool with doing the sale, its a much better financial proposition. Good luck, man!

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still not sure what i was doin. i was buyin a load of cars in a well known model shop and the guy said if i wanted, he was doing the platinum set for £250 for the following weekend only, but i was only home for 5 days and live in another country, so it was the posting it home that would have stung me. mite give em an e-mail and see tho.

rakete, yeah, its handy having loads of track as a "just incase" but it ends up lying all around and takin over the house, this put onto the fact i have about 2 big boxes full of classic track that was a mix between mine and my dads so wouldnt wanna part with that either...so i dunno, money situation first tho lol

temptations temptations

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
darrenmcc,
You should know that you can buy a pair of Toshiba power supplies for less than an additional Scalextric one. Just check the threads on the forum for the details of the vendors ..... the plug is a 6mm OD x 3.0mm ID and the power is 5 amps, 15 volts.
As I recall they are selling for about USD12-USD15 per PS.
Hope that helps your decision!
Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts