SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to slot cars and recently picked up a couple used Carrera Go sets. I have had fun with the stock setup but would like to make some mods to improve the experience. I have read a lot here and on SCI but there are still somethings that are unclear. Some things I am considering:

1. Buy some SCX Compact cars
  2. Upgrade the controllers - I see lots on the forum about Parma controllers but it seems like these are long out of production. It looks like ProfessorMotor or DS controllers are comparable.
    • I have seen recommendations anywhere from 15 to 60 ohm for Carerra Go - is there any consensus on what is best either for the stock Go cars or SCX Compact?
    • To connect the controller, do I just splice the controller wires into the connector on the stock Carrera controller? Do I need to remove the resistor in the powerbase?
    • Also, if anyone knows of controller suppliers in Canada, it would be much appreciated.
  3. Change power supply - this seems straightforward to splice in with the stock powerbase but is there any advantage to changing the whole powerbase? If so, are there any recommendations for what to go with?

I am leaning toward sticking with analog but haven’t entirely ruled out digital. I want to keep the 1:43 scale but do most people recommend getting the 132 control unit? Is there a guide anywhere on how to attach this to the 143 track? Are the digital 143 cars similar quality to the Go cars (ie not great)? Or are there other cars that are preferred at 1:43.

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance!

Roddy

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,635 Posts
Hello Roddy,
If you by-pass the resistors in the powerbase the standard Carrera cars become uncontrollable unless you use a variable voltage power unit. Fitting by-pass switches allows some control.
Using a variable power supply and replacing the power base is definitely recommended.

Leo

·
Registered
447 Posts
Be sure your 143 powerbases are the "OLD" ones. If you already opened the PB ad found only a couple of big resistors and few other components.. yes, it is the old PB and you can upgrade the controllers.

You can also build your own PB as I did here:

In ANY case, the cars upgrading is the 1st step, because che Carrera I tested are only "magnets with 4 wheels". NINCO /AGM are good choices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts