SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I currently have one of RichGs serial cables to conenct my old digital powerbase to the serial conenctor on an old PC. I may be upgrading the PC soon to something a little smaller but it does not have a serial connector.

Does anyone know if there is a USB connector that would do the same job as everything seems to be going USb these days?

I am also consiering upgrading to to the new 6 car powerbase C7042 and so would like any such USB cable to be able to work with that too if possible so I am ready for future upgrades?

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
send rikorocket a pm to get fixed up.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I very much doubt it that there is such a beast ........ you will need the new cable when you eventually connect an APB to your PC as it uses a totally different protocol. If you are going to upgrade to an APB, you might as well wait until that time before you upgrade your PC.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i did ask richg many months ago and the reply for a serial port cable for c7042 was that it would be cheaper just to buy a usb hub if i were short on outlets.

So in theory it could be done but it would be a one off and costs would make it prohibitive.So the cheapest route would be to get new pb with a usb cable and keeping the laptop but getting a usb hub.Mine cost a tenner from maplin and has the added bonus of doubling as a memory card reader as well.....

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
You can get serial (d type 9 pin) to USB converters which will allow you to attach your old cable to a USB port. If you go down this route, make sure that you get a good one based on the FTDI chipset. Cheaper ones are rubbish and will probably not work. The APB is a different beast, and will require a new cable - you can only get these from RikoRocket or RichG (contact them by PM on this board). There are details of their cables on the SSDC website (link below).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts