SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a bit rough and ready, but its my first ever track and I aim to improve it over time with some scenery. I really just wanted something fixed to a board so I can lean it against a wall in the garage.

I found using the cable tray to be easy to work with, you can use an angle grinder or tin-snips. The edges are perfect for stablising and fixing and the cut edge slots nicely into the Ninco track (not sure but are others similar?). I then ran a 3mm drill through the side edge of the track for the odd cable tie.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, still some tweaking to do to flatten the rails more on the banked turns but it's much better than the crappy stands that came in the box.

Also, what cars would people recommend for this Ninco track?
I have 3 scaley cars, super resistant cheapies which aren't the best, and 1 slot it group c Toyota which doesn't seem suited (better for a longer, faster routed track perhaps?)

·
David Collins
2,365 Posts
I think the cable tray is a great idea - very stable and adaptable. If you can't fit borders to the track because of space limitations, you might be better to look for smallish cars - SCX rally cars for instance, or classic 60's and early 70's sports, like the Ferrari P4 and Ford GT. The Slot.It Ferrari 312 and Alfa 33 are really nippy little cars, and should go well on a small layout.

David

·
David J
3,182 Posts
I'm jealous of your space, kick the cars outside and build a monster track, the Slot It will love it.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
That is fantastic, what a brilliant idea, I wish I was at work as were just replacing all the trunking.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That is a great idea. Give it a coat of the right colour paint and it will look like a decorative concrete wall.

One thing you might want to consider for the future is track borders. It's nice to have someplace on the outside and inside of curves so that cars can slide without falling off of the track. Fences can be handy too.

Randy

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Brilliant, J, looks really sturdy.

/Christian

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definitely add rails/borders/fences, just need to find a way to adapt the Ninco ones in the box or look for/fabricate new ones.

QUOTE (DJ @ 16 Feb 2012, 22:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm jealous of your space, kick the cars outside and build a monster track, the Slot It will love it.

lol, the car is the angry monster (~400 rwhp) and won't let me park it outside :/

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
Just a thought - if you were to build the cable tray wider than the track and taller than the height of the track - you could put cross-bars through the slots in the cable tray to sit the track on and you have ready-made barriers. Obviously you would need to clad the inside edges in plasticard to stop the cable tray shredding the sides of the car - but it could be a very stable and solid way to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i bought another Slot.It - the Mazda 787B Renown. I definitely need a track with longer straights!

oh, and you can fit the standard Ninco barrier on the track with the cable tray, its just a bit fiddly. I think I'll fab something slightly higher though, as well as a padded border around the whole board.

·
Mark
735 Posts
brilliant way of making ramps and supports! still scratching my head thought with my experiments to level off the ramps without having track joints catch the underside of cars

1 - 13 of 13 Posts