I don’t think that you’ll get anywhere with the current version of Chrono.
When next gen RCS is released I think you’ll have some usable options, but whether that was in the frame for consideration as a timing system or not I don’t know..
I suggest you focus on determining if, and by how much, the motors need to be balanced at all before you look at how to balance them. My guess would be that they don’t need any balancing in the first place, and Chrono can definitely handle that 😉
Well last night I visited the DCSA in Mechelen, partially to discuss some rule and organization details for the GT3 Interseries with the DSCA guys, partially to do some testing for the Rockingham 6hrs with my AMR Vantage GT3
But also used the opportunity to check if my ideas to use Chrono as a B.o.P tool were applicable... as post here on SF there had aired some doubts about driving feel and throttle response for O2 cars with RMS reduced max power settings.
So here's the procedure I followed, not completely scientific, future test will be more exact...but for a proof of concept...good enough.
The proof of the pudding....
- To set a base reference I took Tom v Leekwijck's Nissan GT-R GT3 with an NSR Baby King Motor and placed it on the H&B test bench. Set the voltage to 11,5v (as the car wasn't chipped) and did a 30 sec test run. Got a test value of 32,58 km p/h.
- Plugged in my SCP controller in the test bench and did a similar test run but now with my Scaleauto Junior motorized AMR Vantage GT3 and the voltage set at 12v (you loose 0,5 volt with an O2 chip) Got a test value of 37,82 km p/h.
- Opened the fuel page in Chrono and enabled the max speed and max brake settings for the Aston's ID (#17)
- Did a next test run on the bench with the SCP controller at full trigger and RMS max speed at 100% gradually reducing this percentage until the H& B test bench showed a top speed of 32,5 km p/h. As you can see in the pic below I ended up with a 25% reduction in Max speed setting to bring the Scaleauto motored AMR down to the same value as the NSR Baby King motored Nissan.
The most important test..how would it drive? As I mentioned earlier, concerns had been aired that it would feel unnatural, that a reduced power setting would create a "dead zone" on your trigger with the top end of your trigger travel not doing anything anymore. That a motor not running at 100% PWM would run hotter. (concern aired in much earlier different topic)
So I placed the Aston on the track and drove it...to see if I could have my cake...and eat it. And guess what....
The main reason for the request of the clubs to run Baby Kings and Baby Raptors in the Interseries was that they deemed the Scaleauto Junior Sprinter a too hot can for novice Digital drivers.
And agreed, on Sponge tires at 12v with the tall gearing and high top speed set -up..a DiSCA GT3 car with a ScaleAuto Junior can be a real challenge to handle.
Which is exactly what it was intended to be.
But with the reduced power setting (initially I had also reduced the max brake setting by the same percentage) the Scaleauto Junior Sprinter no longer behave as a Junior brat.
Instead it responded and behaved ...like a real sweet Baby, handled like a charm. The only thing that I (re)adjusted in the RMS setting was turning the max brake setting to 90%.
75% was I bit too much....or more exact too little brake. But the brake setting could be an interesting addition as B.o.P as well.
...is in the eating
So conclusion so far....this was not an exact test, this was just a first toe in the water to see what influence using Oxigen power and brake setting would have on the drivability of a slot car.
And so far the first impressions are good. After my initial run I handed the Aston over to the more NSR Baby King experienced local drivers and they too confirmed that the wild Junior now behaved as a sweet Baby. None of them noticed a trigger delay. The "restricted" Aston responded to all controller input just like any other Digital car.
As a quick back to back test we paired the Aston to a different non restricted ID# and immediately all of the old brat behavior was back.
Note that although the test was never intended to match the Scaleauto Sprinter Junior with the NSR Baby king performance, and that the required reduction in power (25%) was beyond what I had deemed to be applicable...all previous assumptions other that that it could work proved to be false.
I will continue testing in the coming weeks/months to collect more data. I here by also invite other forum members that run these motors and Oxigen to do the same...and post their findings here.
The more data the better.
I'm confident that if we can make this work in Chrono, it can be applied/introduced in next gen Oxigen RMS software as well. Am also confident that balancing power between motors with a much smaller difference in performance will be possible.
Last remark. it is not my intend to implement a possible B.o.P on an individual car by car base. With the data collected and compiled the intent is to come to a general power restriction per type of motor and apply that percentage via the RMS to individual ID# for any car that runs said type of motor.
to be continued
With kind regards