SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hey Nuro - the car you picked to show is my personal favourite - a guy called Russel Ingall - his nickname is "The Enforcer" for good reason.

If anyone's not seen this we've a guy used to run about in the BTCC - was champ a couple of times I think - a Kiwi they called the "Rat" who's running so midfieldly I've forgotten his bloody name! Isn't that bloody typical at 1am with a bellyfull of beer.. bugger..

..and yes I was the tragic type that bought all four immediately they were on sale..

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Great review - very interesting regarding the performance between old and new.

I picked mine up from Armchair Racer last week, but have not put them on the track yet - not sure which if any class they would fit into?

Slightly off topic, but the Toys R Us V8 set is available at some stores now. The cars are from the older moulds, but still look pretty good with 'Racer' tampo. The set has been reduced from £79.99 to £49.99. Check out Ebay also you can pcik them up for about £15 each if you don't want the set.

They are also running an offer of a free car on any Scalextric set over £50 - it's a free Audi TT street car which they think is worth £24.99? just thought you should know.

·
Registered
361 Posts
JEXY1 - where arm chair racer? I wouldn't mind a couple of V8s for the collection.

Eno Dog - think you mean Paul Radish-leaf

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Armchair racer in Australia.

armchairracer.com.au

Just watch out for our lovely Customs and Excise boys slapping a chunk of duty and VAT on the box when it arrives - I got away this time but previously it has added about £30 to the cost.

The alternative is to not have the price of the cars on the shipping details but then you don't have any proof of worth to claim if the parcel is lost.

j-c

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Paul Radisitch (not sure about spelling).

Lucked into a drive with the AndyRouse built Mondeo and had the audacty to beat Andy. Previous drivers who tried that got duff engines, wooden tyres and all sorts of other help, so Paul must have done something right.

Radisitch won the two World Touring Car races (Monza and Donington in 93 and 94 I think) but little else I can think of.

I say lucked into since the Mondeo was quick for those first couple of seasons and he had no previous UK experience.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've bought a few things overseas before for my 1:1 car and never got stung with customs. However my other hobby is RC car racing and one chassis bought from china stung me for £50.

I was quite surprised at this Paul R fella being so far back when I first started watching the V8s (think Radish-leaf is funny though)

Hopefully whatever problems Motors TV has had with showing the V8s will be resolved and we can watch a full season again.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I used to watch the Oz v8s racing on Motors TV which was really good - now that you mention it I haven't seen it in a while.

I took a pair (the racer Toys r Us versions) of these to my local school winter fayre (primary kids (5-11)) and set up a extend figure of 8. Raced them hard for over 2 hours with many full speed crashes in to legs of chairs (we decided we'd race them on the floor to save a few crashes). One did not quite make the full session as the motor gave in (I'm going to ring Scaly up for a replacement as it gave in too early), but other than one broken rear wing they lasted pretty well.

Raised over £40 for the school by charging 25p a person for a 5 lap race - the fastest lap of the day won a car. I also gave out many directions to the local model shop so hopefully a few more future slotters now.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Yes ArmChair Racer is in Oz just outside Sydney, popped in for a chat and a coffee (wife came in after an hour and said my time was up!)

Nice guy with an excellent collection on display in the shop.

While i was there he showed me a TV clip from the Bathurst race where an Kangaroo hit the leading car! messy - i'm not sure where to download it from.

I would have thought these will be on ebay soon, but i'm sure Scale models and Pendle will also have them for sale soon. I think they are a limited edition of 1500, but not 100%.

I do have two sets but i think the Farnham guys will have them - sorry.

Gareth

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Incidently, Chris Radisich, Paul's brother, is a top class slot racer! Chris has twice won the New Zealand Slot Car Championship and has been residing in the USA for the past few years, racing everything from 1/32nd scale cars to Group 7 wing cars, including being one of the drivers in the Marconi Foundation proxy races. He is currently the USRA National Director.

Chris is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet, which I had the pleasure of doing at the 2002 IMCA World Championships.

Chris is on the left in the picture below (the short guy with the right priorities!)

Picture courtesy of Old Weird Herald

With kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
94 Posts
G'day Guys,

If you're after some of these great cars and don't mind getting them Internationally I suggest you give Clive and Kevin a call at.....

SCALEXWORLD

.....in South Australia. They have plenty in stock (last I heard) although the "CAT" FORD was selling a little better than the other liveries.

Clive mentioned to wife Chris that they had been shipping a fair number of these cars to the UK since their release.

They also offer a "Red Carpet Club" discount scheme for regular shoppers, $12.00AUD per year gets you a 10% discount on non-sale items (yes, SALES are a regular happening at SCALEXWORLD as well, the last major sale had SCX F1 cars for $19.00AUD, a whole swag of FLY models for $29.00AUD).

Clive and Kevin also stock the full-line of SCX models, offering them for $37.00AUD minus club discount (although a few are more expensive, limited editions, the Audi A8 Crocodile is $42.00AUD).

Best Wishes,

Rob Wessling.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Felt sure someone would know how to spell is name properly.

As for MotorsTV, I had a look on thier forum when the bathurst was on as they always have it and the guy who runs MotorsTV was having some kind of viewing rights issues.

Perhaps they've been going to the Bernie Eclestone school of diplomacy?

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Does anyone know the reason why these cars don't have clear windows and interiors?....Not that there is anything wrong with them as they are, I just wondered!.

Regards

Alan

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Alan: these cars are limited production. I think 5000 of eack so the cost of windows and interiors would have made the cars too expensive.
Dave Bantoft has cut the widows from his and fitted some vac formed windows and interior I did for him.It makes a big difference.
Must get around to doing my two!
Phil

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I can only endorse what "Bilby Bob" was saying about Scalex World. I deal with those guys all the time & have not had any trouble. In fact the other day I got a phone call from them 'cause I'd ordered a couple of Goldfinger "Bond" cars for the son as a present for something & mentioned it on the special order thing so they'd be addressed to Chris. The DB5 was due in this week so they wanted to find out about timings to see if it was better to send what they had as it came or wait until they were both in before sending them.. nice to get service rather than serviced isn't it?

Bilby (have to ask is it ears or toes that get eaten first at Easter..) I was suprised to find the CAT is the fastest selling since it was the one I only got so I'd have "the set" rather than through really wanting it. Are these the ones being sent OS being a "global" brand?

Phil - how on earth was that done? What is this "Vac Forming" thing? How did you do it & the interior? My cars are sitting there saying "mend me mend me" as I type..

·
Registered
94 Posts
G'day Guys,

I got an e-mail from Clive this morning, thought I'd share a little of what he said to clarify a few things.....

QUOTE These cars by the way are a limited edition of 1500 world wide of course.
The first series were a limited edition of 1200.
The main distibutors have of course run out of all stocks.

Clive also explained that the new series V8 Supercars with minor mods were in fact quicker on routed board/no mag configuration (Clive pioneered this form of 1/32 scale racing in Australia).

He also reports that the new tyres are being reported as softer by regular racers at Scalexworld, with most preferring them.

Eno, I'm not sure if the CATERPILLAR brand is having any bearing on it being the most popular of the new liveries, I'd say its more a case of the CRAIG LOWNDES phenomenon (plus its a sweet paint scheme)......

The windows look great too, probably a little beyond my modest skill level (I get a high "pucker" factor looking at it wondering how much damage I could do attempting this!!!).

Best Wishes,

Rob Wessling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here are four shops in Australia where you can find the V8's for sale.

Armchair Racer

Slot Shop

Thunderbird Slot Racing

Geds

As for pioneering this form of 1/32 racing in Australia I think that may be a bit far fetched. I have known of people racing these cars non magnet from the day they were released. I am sure Phil Kalbfell is one who can confirm this as well as the guys I race with at the WDMCRG.

ThunderBird and Geds both regularly hold races on routed board tracks of which V8's are a class they run.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts