SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
If you have a look through the scratch building forum there is some good info. You can buy mounting posts to affix to the body and then screw through from the underside of the chassis. I found some pics and info there when I first wondered how to do the same.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
To use screws from below, consider fitting something with a broader base than you would in a hard body, such as a small block of wood (carved to shape as necessary). Glue it in with an epoxy or whatever.
Another favoured method is to solder two very thin metal tubes across the chassis and secure the shell with pins into them.
Rob J

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
QUOTE (numpty @ 4 Apr 2012, 22:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What methods do you use to attach vacuumed formed bodies to a chassis?
Thanks.
I always use pins - 2 pins each side which go into tubes attached to the chassis. It is normal to use a layer of reinforcing tape inside the shell to strengthen the pin holes.

For metal chassis racing (the main users of vac formed bodies) this pin method is pretty much universal these days in higher level competition and at the clubs I've visited. There are a couple of alternatives that were sometimes used.

An alternative is to just tape the bodyshell on to the body. This used to be quite widely used, but has gone out of favour. The tape could start coming unstuck at the edge, so the bodyshell subsided on the chassis. Also the shell had to be put in the correct position each time it was attached, it is more convenient to have positive location of the shell.

Some pressed chassis (e.g. most of the ones made by Parma) have spring clips for body mounting. These pass through the shell in much the same way as pins. Mostly the serious racers solder tubes into the chassis holes intended for these clips, and use pins going into the tubes.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i,ve just bought 2 1960s auto unions, there 20 thou clear vacfoms. so they will take a lot of external detailing. i put one back on ebay. i dont want to spoil the outside with pins, i want it to look like a resin, so im going to use 2 very small pieces of double sided sticky to secure body to chassis sides. the bodies only weigh one and a half grams each, plenty of scope for a light weight metal chassis. john

·
Registered
35 Posts
I go to a 1/24th scale club, but I'm sure it works the same.

If you buy it clear unpainted or painted, then always the first thing to do is to cut out the body to the cutline, if there isnt a cutline, measure from the back of the body downwards as far as you like and mark a dot at your chosen point, then do the same for the other side.

Draw lines along the side towards the front with a ruler

Then cut with nail scissors

Then you will have to mount it, put the bpdy ontop of the chassis and with a pin, put holes in the body where the screws (or whatever) will go

Next thing to do is paint it, use tamiya spray paints and so some masking if you wish, about 2 thin coats is good enough, leave 10 mins inbetween coats...

After painting put tape on the front to stop it tearing, and put tape on the side where the screws go to stop it tearing, with out it, the body is likley to tear at its first crash!

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts