SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this will be my forth track layout since Christmas.

All are an evolution of the previous track. In this case I wanted to get better lines of sight and I plan to add some scenery.

The style will be that of a Rally hill section which among other things led to me naming the circuit 'Valleycross'.

I want the track to be semi permanent so where possible supports and scenery will be free standing.

I am very limited on space, not much more than the size of a single bed but I like a longer track. There is not much I can do about the maximum lengths of the straights I can fit in but I have tried to get as long as possible. About 17m (over 50'.)

Looking at other tracks the ones I liked used compound curves so I have fitted in some and for my own preference I have limited the use of R1 curves.

I have started work on the platforms for the track, out of MDF but I am still trying to decide the best way to support the track.

My previous construction relied on gravity to direct the track but that led to slopes not always being ideal. This time I want the structure to force the slopes exactly where I want them. That is changes in height only on straight sections.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting far enouh to add some scenery.

If I get enough time it should be drivable before the end of this weekend.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I made some progress over the weekend.

The lower levels are done along with some holes to feed booster cables.

I've protected the screw heads from any chance of accidentally shorting the track by putting a bit of insulation tape over them.

The next bit will be fitting the balanced cantilever section to hold up the overhang.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another weekend of working on the framework for the track.

I should never have suggested I could get it done in one weekend. Two have passed and it is still not complete.

Most of the time was spent adjusting the slopes to avoid ending up with a steep bank along the back straight under the window.

There are a few more details on my blog:
http://blog.discoverthat.co.uk/2015/03/slow-progress.html

I am left with just a couple of sections to join together to complete the frame.

·
Registered
363 Posts
More progress this week.

The track is drive-able.

Here are a few more pictures of the work as it progressed:

·
Registered
363 Posts
As I stopped because the glue and filler are drying I've posted a few, well lots, of photos of the work in progress.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been following the progress of another track that has been very inspiring.
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82474

I mention on there about my interest in Land Rovers but inability to find a plastic !:32 scale model of one. Simon kindly PM'd me when a Defender came up on ebay and I managed to get it.

For the time being it will just be scenery along with the die-cast metal Discovery that I already had.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This week I've been painting and weathering one end of the track.

The weathering and road surface was applied with a wet sponge and not much paint. More details on my blog.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tooey is a bit too enthusiastic about the work. She especially likes chasing the tape measure.

Yes the sandy colour is MDF sawdust. I have a lot of it. I originally intended to only have the sawdust but it was a bit too bright. It needed the greenery to tone it down.

·
Simon
389 Posts
Ebay landy arrived quick John
looks good but a Nissan navara is better....... :)

Track is starting to come along nicely mate, and I like what you've done to the border with grass, looks really good.

What are you applying to the track surface to give that affect John as I need to create an effect on my single lane section that I've just completed and this might be just the ticket

Si

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE (Gilly1 @ 3 Apr 2015, 23:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ebay landy arrived quick John
looks good but a Nissan navara is better....... :)
Simon, You just know saying that to a Landy fan is asking for trouble

QUOTE (Gilly1 @ 3 Apr 2015, 23:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... What are you applying to the track surface to give that affect...
I saw your request for ideas on your thread but didn't want to reply until I'd tried it out for myself.

It's just household water based mat paint. The same mat grey I had mixed up for the concrete walls from white and black. Applied using a wet sponge.

I dip the torn edge of the sponge in the undiluted paint, just to get a tiny bit, then in to water and squeeze out most of the paint.
Still quite wet I lightly drag that along the track. Took a few attempts to get the right amount of paint but it's so wet you can add or remove it easily.

Left it to dry for a day. It looked a bit blotchy. I then used a damp cloth and rubbed hard. The colour completely went while damp but dried in about 10 minutes to a more evened out effect and I was happy with the result.

I was after weathered and driven on Tarmac, which I think I got. I plan to change the colour to brown when the road gets in to the mountains at the other end of the layout.

I hope that helps.

John

·
Simon
389 Posts
Haha yes I know John, it's like swearing at you

I will try your method on some scrap track I now have. Thanks for the advice m8

Si

·
Registered
363 Posts
Today's progress was mainly sections of framework that I will use to support the scenery.

It will be more interesting once I've decorated them.

I added some more temporary barriers to compliment the barriers I have built in to the new framework sections today.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I made more progress over the Easter weekend than I expected.

Lots of concrete.

Grey paint does not look like realistic concrete until the weathering is added...

On track...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been busy on a long length of cliff face.

It took a bit longer than expected partly because I had some trouble with the PVA glue drying white instead of clear and I needed to fix that.

It's just about finished and is in place but as usual I'm waiting for some glue to dry.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts