SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one of em now, my first vanquish.

Since there has been a lot of interest in the car before it was out, and no one has said anything about it, I shall put some notes here.

It is a stunning model, but not without problems. It looks too big to me, although its wheel-base is smaller than modern F1s. But there are comparative pics on other threads, its a vanquish, so that was to be expected. The body also seems to get a tad chunky, maybe it is too tall in the middle, but overall, it looks very satisfying to me.

The livery is done beautifully, and the attention to detail is stunning. There are clear blue plastic dials on the dashboard, the seatbelt is properly attache to the car, the engine looks magnificent, and the wheels are superb, the rear wheel vented brakes are brilliant.

My main dissappointment with it (and overall I am chuffed) was that nothing was attached or glued properly, except for the rear exhaust pipes which are firmly attached and wonky. You can't see the wonkiness when its on the track tho. The 2 side mirrors fell off in seconds without a crash, and the window kept popping half out. the chimney thing wobbled about too. Out with the glue, and after a mirror attachment accident, and wiping glue off the body, discovered there was no clear coart to keep the beautiful gold markings on

Oh and the guys arm up in the air annoyed me, so I had to reposition it, which probably due to the lack of glue or welding, was pretty straight-forwards to do.

As mentioned elsewhere, the body (basically the front half of the car) is held on with only 1 screw, under the guide. The back of the chassis kinda sits in place, i guess this allows the chassis to flex.

It is my first experience of the differential gear in a slot car, and I am very impressed, it seems like a very well built thing, the only drawback is it made tyre-trueing very difficult. It is visible behind the engine, but molded in black, it does not detract at all for me.

How does it drive? It's drive mechanism is very smooth, and its close to my quietest cars (carrera evos are my quietest, but not by much). It has one centrally positioned large button magnet, and a rear engine, housed by the engine detailing. On my difficult home track (curvy hilly and on carpet), it was not the fastest of cars by a long way. But it drove very nicely, with the back sliding way out without it deslotting, if the speed was just so. If you like adding extra magnets, which I tend to due to my uneven track and low driving skills, you will be hard pushed to find anywhere for them. the engine is to the rear, behind that is the rear axel with the gear which protrudes through the chassis, so there is no-where for a rear magnet. The only place I could find required modification and trimming, to put a very slim button magnet just behind the guide.

This car has taken a bit of work, some of it unavoidable cos bits fell off, but has resulted in not the fastest, but a very smooth and nice driving car that is gorgeous, and am very pleased with

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Thanks very much for that Astro a very nice mini-review indeed.

The accuracy to 1/32 scale question seems not yet settled from all I have read, though most of what I read is quite encouraging in that direction.
As for the loose small parts, I would guess that this might be a deliberate decision, permitting people to easily remove them before racing, if they want to, or to glue them in if that is what they want. I think I would be tempted to leave them out for racing, as small parts can easily be lost in the thick of fast competition. The problem with gluing them in tight is the possibility of them breaking in a crash rather than just popping out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Great review, thank you for taking the time to write.

Personal opinion, jury is still out as to purchase or not, currently waiting to view the slot car for real, before making final decision.

Not sure about the drivers arm though, originally though it was just staged for photo's only (thanks for pointing that out) movable limbs similar to the Ninco Kart drivers.

I believe if the limb was posed for a fancy boxed Ltd edition model then it would look ok, but a standard release?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a good look at both liveries at yesterdays MK swapmeet. Both were very eye catching and I was impressed with the engine detail. As Astro points out the diff gear sticks out the back but is not too noticeable being black and also masked by the rear aerofoil. I find the decision to stick Emersons hand up in the air quite bizarre though

As for scale....well, they do look "big" but I have no real perception of what a 1/32 scale F1 should look like against other cars....presumably Scaleys 30 year old efforts shouldnt be used as a guide ?

As no-one else is producing classic F1's right now I dont suppose the scale matters too much. I just hope the 1972 Surtees follows on quickly so that we have a race partner for Emerson and his mate Dave.

All I can say is well done Vanquish for bringing us another line of race car that has remained sadly untouched for too long.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Deep breath....

The scale issue will matter if, as in Can-Am, Vanquish are making a range of cars that are incompatible with any others, with the result of making it LESS likely that other manufacturers will enter the arena. I do sincerely hope that the Lotus is in reasonable scale, although I have strong doubts, but if it ain't, who now is going to go to all the trouble of making another version a few mil. smaller? Or making their own range of F1s once the market has been stolen by VMG? If it is in scale, then I would hope that Scaley (with the Vanwall and Maser as precedent) and other big firms might produce their own GP cars that would compete fairly.
It would be lovely to see a whole range of good F1s from the past, but for now, I'll stick to making them myself (literally)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having seen a 1:1 lotus 72D side by side with modern F1s at Goodwood, my uniformed personal opinion is that this model is significantly bigger than it should be. In my opinion it is also out of proportion in a number of ways.

However, despite my preference for accurate scale, I do love it.

After some significant work, it now drives absolutely fabulous. Not the fastest, but the most satisfying drive of all my cars. Don't know if that is down to the differential. It is also the most fragile, with the front wings being very prone to snapping off in minor crashes.

Despite its shortcomings, its my fav car of the moment

·
Registered
166 Posts
Howmet, I know what you mean about this problematic scale issue with Vanquish.

I do agree that they are making life difficult for us and potentially other manufacturers who could see themselves "locked out" of a particular era or class. The fact that Vanquish seem to deliberately over scale their models does suggest that they want us to race Vanquish v Vanquish so I presume it to be a business ploy !!!

But.......the problem for me, is, while I truly wish I had the modelling skills to re-create my own grid of classic F1's, I know my limits and therefore have to rely on slot car manufacturers to do it for me. At the moment all there is are basic 60's cars from MRRC and Reprotec and Beardogs fabulous but too expensive for me McLaren and upcoming Lotus.

So, I am not exactly spoilt for choice and once the Surtees model is released I will very likely be buying it plus the Lucky Strike Lotus........unless in the meantime Scaley or someone else can come up with an alternative

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm waiting for the day when Vanquish cars are heavily discounted, end of stock items going for a fiver each because of the scale issue. Even if they are a bit big, they still look good!

By the way, no one's made an issue of Fly's racing trucks being 1:36 scale and they're further away from 1:32 than Vanquish' models.

Mark.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You are right of course, Difflock, but does anyone really care about the trucks?
They are unlikely to be compared with cars of any sort and, being in a distinct class of their own, the scale doesn't really matter as long as it's consistent within the truck range. The same applies to Ninco's karts and Scalectric's bikes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Someone noted on another board that the FLY trucks are modeled after European trucks, and are fairly accurate to scale as these are smaller than standard U.S. tractor-trailers.

I've no idea if the above is accurate or not...as I've never actually seen a European tractor-trailer.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
A purely academic question, of course, but has anyone out there who has bought a Vanquish Lotus measured the wheelbase?
According to my books, the full sized measurement should be 2540, which translates to 79.37mm in 1/32nd. If the Vanquish model comes near to this, I shall be very happy indeed and rush out and buy one.
That IS a relatively long car by standards of the time.
Track measurement should be 1448 (45.25mm in 1/32) front and rear, but this is to the middle of the tyre, so is a bit less reliable for our purposes.

Cheers chaps.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
wheelbase = 86mm or 86.5 mm, axle to axle, so it looks like it is 1:29th scale.

The model is smaller than modern F1 models, the only thing that looks odd (till other manufacturers start making early 70s F1) is that the tyres look enormous (compared to the modern F1 tyres in 1:32)

can't say enough how much I like this car though!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (DogFish @ 9 Feb 2004, 09:45 PM)Someone noted on another board that the FLY trucks are modeled after European trucks, and are fairly accurate to scale as these are smaller than standard U.S. tractor-trailers.

I've no idea if the above is accurate or not...as I've never actually seen a European tractor-trailer.

Yes, the trucks are accurate to scale, but that scale is not 1:32
Anyway, I still like them and they go quite well out of the box. I've been known to terrorise some of the slower cars with my Merc truck.

Mark.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Thanks Astro.... you just saved me a few bob. But have fun with yours! I shall watch jealously as VMG start to crank out all my favourite F1 cars, leaving me and all the other pasty-faced rivet counters out here in serious-ville lonely, cold and frustrated. Grrrr.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Howmet, here's a challenge for you....

Take out your hack-saw, buy one of these....

.... and make one of these!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
If there were any panel lines to hide my clumsy joints I would. Too damn slick that Mirage! But if Nostalgia do a resin shell, I'd be tempted by that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts