SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed doing this;
There's more for those with a strong stomach if you want to see how it turned out....

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Is this one of those limited edition after race cars (like the Fly Porsche?) driver must have hit a huge lampost during the long striaght?

Why?

·
Registered
759 Posts
to you Howmet

I'm looking forward to seeing the end result! How will you fit a nice looking windscreen there? Will it be cut out from the red vac body? ...curious

Best of luck and big
to you for standing up and saying, thats it I've had enough of your silly mid scale, to Vanquish MG

Toby

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An ally at last! We are on the same wavelength Bastuminasiasimthing. I had a GREAT tip from JohnP (thanks again) about how to make a SIMPLE HOME MADE VACFORMER, which I havn't yet put together..., but otherwise there is the old hole-and-plug method us schoolkids used to make model aeroplane canopies with. Carve a plug mould out of gelutong, cut a matching hole in a piece of ali sheet and clamp a piece of acetate over the hole. Warm gently over the gas cooker, then shove the plug through the hole. I had hoped that the spare screen from my Maxi-model M6A might be persuaded to fit but it's a no-go

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That one totally cut me up, John. Pull yourself together. Shape up, or I'll cut YOU down to size. Don't you hear the distant hum of
chainsaws?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes I must apologise, a weak gag even by my own lowly standards

That's looking sooo much better tx. Better get to it with the wet and dry before tea time.

BTW howmet, had you thought of stretching one to 1/24 also? Might fit nicely over that repro '68 brass inline of yours.

Candies, pschedelic paint, Cukras, the smell of wintergreen, nay... TIGER MILK...

mmm NICE!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hey, since Mr. JohnP is around... Would you mind shareing your idea about the vac forming gizmo?

Howmet, your little simple idea sounds quite allright too, I wouldn't mind trying that out either. The plug mould would then be shaped on free hand then I suppose? I need windows for a massakerd Scaley Mini and also if I start resin castin there will be a great need for a good window forming technique.
Thanks for showing your work as you go along, I'm waiting for new updates all the time...

Toby

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Mr b, the vac forming gizmo was in fact down to some ingenious guys at Car Model magazine back in the '60's.

Basically it was a wooden box with lots of little holes in the top and a big hole in the side for you to plug in a vacuum cleaner. There was also, a rubber seal around the top edge.

The mold would be placed on top of the box (over the holes) and the vacuum switched on. At this point air would be drawn in around the mold and through the top holes of the box.

A plastic sheet pinned to a wooden frame would then be gently heated until the plastic began to soften. The frame/sheet would then be pressed over the mold and down onto the seal. Schloop - a blob was born!

Now no more of this "off-topic" gizmo talk please. Let us now return to Mr howmet's thoughtful and considerate VMG handywork

·
Registered
759 Posts
JohnP, Interesting and ingenious, thanks

Sorry for straying away from the topic, just sounded interesting. I'm eagerly awaiting the progress of Mr Howmet
And his rather "barbaric" methods...

I noticed that moped made a link over at SCI to this thread, so now we have a big audience

Keep it coming howmet

Toby

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You mean this is going global?

And by the way, my tools are a fine jeweller's backsaw, scalpel and lens. The chainsaw is being kept warm and lubricated for other purposes.

The filler has now been applied and ruubed down. You will be pleased to know I have run out of film. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Anyone want to buy an unused VMG chassis and differential? Wheels not included.

Anyone need to know measurements?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts