SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi Adrian and thank you!

At first glance, they look marvellous.

The wording hints that the cars will, in fact have drivers.
Am I picking this up correctly?

PS
Amazing to see the instant homing in on a topic when Adrian has been seen entering the site! Like supersonic flies, we are . . . !

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Looking good!!

I assume the largish round "pods" under the nose are to make sure the guide is well planted in the slot.

Is the Goodwood set to be the first release or will the individual cars be available at the same time?

Mr.M

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Yes, the cars will have drivers. How can I put this kindly?: The new drivers bare no resemblance to the members of one of the other branches of the family tree of Scalextric drivers! I'm sure you'll understand when I release pictures later this month.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
bit of an earlier period than my favourite eras of racing. They look pretty good, but one thing I have found with scalextric cars is that they always look at least twice as good in real life as they do in the pictures.

The wire wheels look fantastically done. Are the vanwall's exhaustes painted? in the picture they look a bit plasticky.

Cheers

Dave

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I'm suprised as this era has yet to insipre me but the Maserati in particular does spark quite a bit of interest. The pod I presume is to hide the great protusion of the guide although looking at the front wheel height you will still be able to see it under the pod.

I'm not sure about the pod as it is meant to look like part of the car but then it makes a mockery of accurate representation. Would it be possible to show pics of what they look like without the pod and just the guide showing or is development way beyond the have a pod or not stage?

I assume the pod the only way of achieving the correct guide posn in relation to the height of the car so its structurally integral?

The spoked wheels look very good the the tyres set them off very nicely. Any chance of a sneak picy of the drviers or at least a close up on the cockpit.

Matt

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not to jump into premature hysterics, but I have to agree with Tuck's reservations about the "pods." I think we have trained ourselves to "not see" the guide and slot when running our cars. This is esp. so on narrow F1 cars where the guide will almost invariably be visible to a certain degree, even if a pin arrangement is utilized. To extend the lower body work to cover the guide, IMHO completely changes the shape and look of the car. Its one thing to ignore the necessary evil of guides and slots, quite another to ignore what appears to be a Hoover attachment on the body.

About drivers, can you tell us if the cars will be with full cockpits? I personally hope not, as that alone would dictate motor placement and chassis design, necessitate magnets, etc.

Otherwise, these cars look very nice indeed - one of my favorite eras in F1 racing.

mp

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Cars look fabulous and I hope those wheels are going to be available as an individual item. I can see lots of sets of those being sold!.

Little concerned about the guide pod,as per Matt's post. Is this only on the prototype or on the production car. Doesn't look like anything a Dremel can't fix!.

Very bold move by Scalextric and I hope it sells well for them.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both cars are pre-production and will have some details changed before going in to production. It's nice to be able to get some feedback though before we go to production. Thanks to you all for your feedback. Keep it coming.

First change, as a direct result of this forum, is to blacken the guide shroud under the nose in the same way we have done with the Vanwall. Thanks guys!

To answer Astros question, the Vanwall exhaust will be painted matt black-ish colour.

Happy Racing,
Adrian

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I'm sorry I mentioned the "pods" now!

Aaah, wait........... Tuck seems to be getting the blame!

Carry on!!

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Adrian - us lot in the NHS keep on being told not to use jargon but stick to plain english, so none of this technincal poncy bumpf like 'guide shroud' - its a pod!!!

Mr Material - I'm happy to share any blame esp if sh1t hits the fan but otherwise it was all my idea.

Matt

·
Registered
714 Posts
The cars look lovely, though the comments regarding the bulge are fair.
A simple answer would be to mount the guide a little further back, if necessary behind the front axle, a la Carrera Ferrari F1. I know this is not the ideal position, but The Carrera manages very well indeed with it, these cars are not expected to perform in the top echelon and it would cure the problem. I think that getting those gorgeous noses the right shape is more desirable than most other considerations.
Worth thinking about if it isn't too late.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The cars are obvioulsy striking in appearance and again will be well made although im no expert on this era of racing cant comment on the likeness of the models.
Im going to go out on a limb here and just throw something in for the hell of it have Scalextric done their marketing here ? Is this just going to available as a Goodwood set or are the individual cars going to be available in different liveries too a la GT40 ?

I would hazard a guess that the GT40's were excellent sellers as they seem to be really popular and well stocked in any model shop, are these cars going to have the same appeal to the masses? I would guess not !!

I just dont think these cars will have the undubted qudos the gt40 seems to have and that "must have" thing going for them with home racers.
All that said the set will undoubtedly be a success with the collectors among us but i just cant see individual cars being the same success.

The wheels do look great i agree and also agree with Matt its a pod !!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sorry for posing the full cockpit question (since it was clearly stated on the Scalex site) and even sorrier to discover the answer. Oh well, as someone remarked in an earlier discussion on these cars, I guess some of us will be facing an engineering challenge when trying to make the cars run without magnets.

mp

·
Registered
278 Posts
No worries, guys. I appreciate the humour. So, 'pod' it is, then but I though it was axiomatic! (only joking!).

PS: I'll need this humour for when I'm sitting in that field in southern England in July, all alone save for hundreds of boxes (see previous posts).

Happy Racing,
Adrian

PPS: Just to clarify the Goodwood subject: Scalextric will be at Goodwood in June 25th-27th. The Goodwood pack (Vanwall and Maserati) will not be available until the Goodwood Revival meeting in September 3rd-5th at which we will also be present.
The cars will also be available as regular solo box cars as well as a special Goodwood presentation. Additional liveries will be a later option.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Can I buy mine at the Revival Meeting then? 'Cos buy them I most certainly will, although the 'Pod' makes me wince horribly. Is there really no other way of locating the guide? If the production cars are like that I would definitely seek ways of removing it.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
That era is not my cup of tea, so I won't buy them but I have to say that the models really look great ! You could be forgiven to think that those pictures are of the real cars !

I think the most critical parts of those cars will be the wheels ! That kind of wheels are a real challenge if you want to avoid the like toy-a-like look.

The last question mark is "Will Scalextric avoid the "blobby head" this time ?"

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Well, well. I did post that my resolve was waivering with these but now I've seen them...

Never was sure about the shape of the Vanwall but that Maserati looks weet with a capitol esse and no mistake. Looks a quality job and no lighted versions to wind me up L88 style!

Please tell me they'll not be pocket rockets, these cars should slide, Charlie Brown, slide.

Pod could be an issue but when those pretty wheels are in motion, who is going to notice?

Methinks Mr Blobby has bitten the dust, driven his last and shuffled off this mortal coil! He is an ex-driver, he is no more - at least, I think that is what Adrian is saying.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts