SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I like having a variable pacer car in SSDC because of some R1 turns in my track.
I almost got them working fine but when a track call is enabled (I have automatic track calls after 1,0 seconds of zero throttle)
and the start button is pressed they continue at almost zero speed. When they pass the power base they return to normal variable data speed, but then the timing is slightly wrong because it had no start speed when the lap started.

Shouldn't the pacer car continue at start speed or maybe pit lane speed after a track call?

I tried to find this in earlier topics but without succes.
Does anybody know how to solve this?

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
when the data for pacers runs out (i.e. if recording is 5 seconds and lap time exceeds this duration) the pace car will carry on at the last speed - the speed at the end of the recording - and not the start speed.

The change that needs to happen is for the track call time to be removed from the lap time before the pacer speed is calculated. The downside is that the pacer needs to accelerate again after the track call, which is another level of complication... Even so, I will see how simple it is to make this change.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the clarification!
So If i understand correctly: apparently my pacer throttle value at the end of the recording is too low? I will see if I can change that.

Wouldn't the most simple solution (for future versions) be to return to pit lane speed after a track call or maybe even a new pacer setting named 'cruise speed' or something like that?

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE (thoefnagel @ 20 Mar 2012, 20:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I like having a variable pacer car in SSDC because of some R1 turns in my track.
I almost got them working fine but when a track call is enabled (I have automatic track calls after 1,0 seconds of zero throttle)
and the start button is pressed they continue at almost zero speed. When they pass the power base they return to normal variable data speed, but then the timing is slightly wrong because it had no start speed when the lap started.

Shouldn't the pacer car continue at start speed or maybe pit lane speed after a track call?

I tried to find this in earlier topics but without succes.
Does anybody know how to solve this?

Congrats to you on your success with running variable speed pace cars with R1 curves. I've found this impossible, unless I set the start speed real slow. My layout has no tighter than R-2's, and I can get the variable speed pace cars at a very competitive speed.

As for your problem with the auto track call, I've noticed this also, so I don't use this feature. I'm sure awallace will have a solution soon.

·
Registered
462 Posts
But if you don't use auto track calls I suppose you use the brake button for track calls. How do you brake then?
by the way I don't think start speed has something to do with r1 turns. Start speed is just to make sure the the pace data timing is correct. I start the pacer well before the power base but on the same straight. Then setup the start speed so that it matches the speed at which you normally would have when crossing thepower base. Or am I wrong with this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 20 Mar 2012, 14:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or use the fixed speed pacer setting as the speed after track call until it crosses the line.

Hi ,
Is there any reason why this is not possible? It seems like a good idea after an auto or manual track call to have the car revert to its start setting.

Or am I missing the point somewhere?

If I understand things (maybe not); If the pace lap is longer than expected, for whatever reason, the variable data keeps playing at the end of the recordings speed until the car crosses the APB. Then, if it is longer/shorter than the target time, SSDC adds/reduces speed to try to get to within 5% of the preset time.

It would seem a good idea that after an "obvious" crash event ie, track call. That SSDC should revert to start speed until the APB line is crossed , and also make no attempt to add speed on that lap.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think it's a good idea but not revert to start speed (in case of variable throttle), because that can be way too fast for some curves. For example if you have a PB in the middle of a long straight you're start speed must be very high. But the complete lap cannot be done with that speed (especially if you have tight turns like me). Start speed IMHO is the speed that a car must have when crossing the PB for the first time. Better is to revert to a new setting like 'cruise speed'.

mrFlippant: you mentioned reverting to fixed pacer speed, but what do you mean then? This setting is the 'start speed' setting isn't it? You cannot use the start speed and the speed a car must have after a track call for the same thing or am I missing something? I guess you know a lot more than me about it:) so I'm just trying to learn.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
There is an issue with using the start speed, as for some, this speed is way too high - bear in mind that it is used to get a variable pacer up to speed before it starts its first lap. I will take a look at extracting the track call time from the lap time. I think that this will get us a large % of the way to resolving the original problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That would be a reasonable solution I think, but a problem will occur because the car needs time to get from zero speed to pace data speed (as you mentioned before). So a correction for that time is needed as well. Thanks andrew!

By the way yesterday I managed to workaround the crawling after a track call by increasing the last throttle values of the pacer recorded data. It's not easy but make sure you end your lap with a throttle value that can be used to complete a full lap (while recording pace data).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok,
Hows this for a possibly simple solution......

All of our tracks have a contant throttle speed that a car can stay on at.

If we have R1 curves it will be slower than if we only have R4s.

If after a track call, the cars reverted to this "user definable preset default speed" until they cross the APB that would sort all problems ???

Maybee??

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, but to work well would need 2 reference laps. One crossing the S-F at Full Speed, and then another for restarts at Constant Throttle Speed.

Rich

·
Greg Gaub
14,655 Posts
Now that I understand how the start speed is used for variable speed pace cars, my idea wouldn't work. I thought it was ignored, and the car would either go the beginning speed or ending speed of the recorded lap, like it used to. I'm also used to tracks where the s/f line is at the end of the straight where a car is slowing down for a turn, so the beginning speed of a lap on my track would be much lower anyway. Hopefully Andy can smooth out this issue by removing the track call time from the pacer lap time... that's always been an issue, even with fixed speed pacers, so it would be great to have it cleared up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts