SlotForum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
3rd layer looks like it worked out nice....seems to still be a good line of sight.
I agree scenery may be a bit difficult. Could do a futuristic scene & line the bottom of the track with lights?

·
Registered
5 Posts
3rd layer looks like it worked out nice....seems to still be a good line of sight.
I agree scenery may be a bit difficult. Could do a futuristic scene & line the bottom of the track with lights?
I thought about a bladerunner type layout, but it is for the whole family and even my wife will join in if I stick to something fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a nice twist on vecbtb's layout.

Are you making runoffs for the corners?
OK, I jumped into this without a lot of prior research. What's a 'runoff'?
I am going to set up crash barriers. My wife wanted them, and now that the layout has become such a monster, they'll be a requirement. I thought I'd have something light that I could carry into the house and I wasn't too worried when I thought the cars would just be rolling across carpet, but now I'm imagining them flying off the track and crashing to the floor of the garage. The barriers that are sold may be scale, but are too low for what I have seen the cars do, especially my VW bus, which while not fast, is a favorite as that is the first family car I remember and my scalextric van rolls like a ball because of the height.
So I am going to epoxy wooden clothes pins to angle braces for furniture. Then I bought some sheets of PET plastic, which is supposed to be stronger and less brittle than acrylic, but tends to scratch more. Each sheet is 24" by 36". I'll cut each into 4 strips and have 6" high barriers. They'll be easy to lift out of the clothes pins if we need to reach a car and easy to see through.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What's a 'runoff'?
It's the border for the track so the cars can drift. If you do not have run-offs and just barriers the cars can rider the barrier round corners removing any skill. I had this issue with my version of vecbtb's with the top level however I redid that and added the tan Scalextric borders/barriers so I would consider this now rather than later. I painted the borders on lower level black for some variety. Or you could make your own from MDF etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's the border for the track so the cars can drift. If you do not have run-offs and just barriers the cars can rider the barrier round corners removing any skill. I had this issue with my version of vecbtb's with the top level however I redid that and added the tan Scalextric borders/barriers so I would consider this now rather than later. I painted the borders on lower level black for some variety. Or you could make your own from MDF etc.
I'll remember that and try to move the barriers out where I can. I'm going to put weatherstripping to cover the gaps between the supports (shims and scrap plywood) I'm using to bank the turns a little. I'm going to have the kids paper mache over that to make it a bit more permanent, and I'll try to keep it below track level. In some areas I just won't have the space.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you're going to do run-offs (I strongly advise that you do in most corners, especially high ones, not all though for variety, drifting analogue no-mag cars can be a lot of fun), make sure they are wide enough, maybe use Scalextric dimensions as a guide? Probably easy enough for you to cut and screw in some border supports, then either Scalextric or MDF?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts