SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I greatly enjoyed reading about the great Ronnie Peterson. Some of our past drivers have received the phrase "the greatest driver never to have won a world championship'. Obviously Sir Sterling Moss, not to forget Dan Gurney (the only man Jimmie Clark "feared" on the track), Gilles V. (who did a practice lap at a rain-soaked Watkin's Glen, 11 seconds faster than anyone else that day). A few "blindingly fast" drivers did win world championships, Ayrton, and Nigel. One great driver who will never fully receive the recognition he deserves is Vic Elford.
A man who really was "blindlingly fast", he drove all kinds of races (I know Vic would have been competitive at Indy). Vic set many lap records and indeed did win a lot of races, but will unfortunately will not be remembered as the great driver he was.
He has a web page My Webpagehttp://www.vicelford.com
When I build a slot car that Vic drove, I put the "7 Oaks Motor Club" crest on his helmut (not an easy job in 1/32 scale)

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
There are a few Vic fans on the forum, I think... Good to read your thoughts too, Daryl! I'm right with you. Which of Quick Vic's cars have you got?
Maybe it's time to resuscitate the Tiny-Tyre Shadow project. I've got some wheels that might do, but that's about it so far.

G

·
You can count me as a fan too, their is a great picture of him in the August issue of Motor Sport. Is it just me or were driver more interesting then? at least they used to drive any kind of car from rally cars to F1s.

Jeff.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Not to mention motorcycles (Hailwood) and snowmobiles (Villeneuve)!

Elford was a driver I remember for being not just fast, but also entertaining and intelligent on the track, characteristics of drivers who not only possess talent but also truly enjoy what they are doing. That puts him amid a much more elite class of drivers than one might at first think.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've only ever heard of him through his Formula One exploits.

He wasn't particularly impressive with his first race being his best ever finish of just over two seasons, a 4th place in the rain at Rouen, and scoring only 8 points in his whole grand prix career.

Although I think he did quite well for himself in Porsches in sports car racing, and a brief look over his website shows that he started in rallying.

Nothing spectacular jumps out, why is it that you guys are such fans?

McLaren

PS. Please note that I am not belittling his achievements, but I'd like to know why he was considered such a good driver when many others have achieved more?
Are there things that I haven't heard about?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I met Vic Elford briefly at a vintage car race. A really great guy.

For what ever reason he just didn't get a great F-1 ride, but he literally could race and win in anything. He was lucky to be in an era that there was so much cross-over, even crossing the ocean to race and win in the States.

In the last race for the fantastic five liter Porsche 917s and Ferrari 512s I beleive he won in a 3 liter Alfa! Now thats an accomplishment!

He is one of the narrators of the movie the Speed Merchants, too bad he was in an Alfa that year.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Why are we such fans? Maybe it's just an age thing...
To me, he seemed such an ordinary, unassuming bloke absolutely committed to driving fast in as many different cars as he could find. He mixed it with the worlds greatest in every category, and always showed his class.
And he drove the scariest-looking car I can think of- the 'tiny tyre' Shadow, and the coolest car ever, the Chaparral 2J! Simply a great bloke.

·
John Roche
4,233 Posts
I met him in '69 when he officially opened our school slot car club. He was charming and friendly tolerating all sorts of daft questions.

Like now, if you weren't in the right team you didn't win in F1 but he was one of the best all rounders ever.

John

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Vic Elford, Delivery Truck and Snow.
A True Story...

Sometimes in 1977, I met Vic Elford for the first time. He had been hired as a consultant for the same racing wheels company I was working for.
While in the south of France at the factory, in the middle of winter, Vic was asked to drive a big Citroen van to a place in the nearby mountains, deliver some wheels and back. I was asked to go with him to help. We also decided to stop for lunch on the way.
Once at the restaurant, we talked about his racing days and especially his rallying with the works Porsche 911ST in 1970 through 1972. He was very informative and told me that he had this "thing" (rallying) so figured out, he could do it in the van.
Then he showed me. One of the scariest rides in my life, and I am USED to this stuff!
Vic took the van down the mountain on the snowy roads, completely sideways, passing terrorized traffic right, left, inside and outside, looking just like Solberg in the Subaru...
Brakes? What brakes? Chains? What chains? Not even a studded tire in sight. But traction was never a problem because he didn't need any...
I did not lose my lunch despite that it cam quite close a few times, and was thankful to the Lord to be alive when we got off the van. Vic was laughing all the way and having the time of his life. And this is the kind of fellow he was and still is...
But he never got rich at it. A purist and one of the last gentlemen racers from the old school.
Regards,

Doc Pea

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
McLaren,
I was going to c&p his bio but it would be easier to go to his web site
www.vicelford.com
Frankly, I remember little of him, except his name in the late 60s and early 70s, my admiration for him came from historical readings, not all that long ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.