SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I tried to make a short video of a rally stage we ran but it was just a blur so thought I'd seek some advice on equipment and settings that you guys use.

I was using my phones WVGA camera.

Cheers Wayne

·
Rich Dumas
3,599 Posts
In the case of slot cars you are trying to capture small objects that are moving rather quickly and that is not easy under the best of circumstances. No matter how expensive and sophisticated your equipment may be you will not be likely to get good videos if the lighting is poor. The first thing to try is to go for more light and it will not hurt to hold the cell phone as steady as possible. If that does not work well enough you will have to go for at least a digital camera that can shoot videos.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My phone is a motorola motoluxe setting is wvga 800x480 i do have a fuji digital camera that takes video so that might be worth a try.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
I use my fairly cheap (sub-£100) Canon PowerShot E1 digital camera.

It shoots good VGA video in 640x480 pixel format and a decent-quality 30 frames per second. It also seems to shoot quite good close up.

I agree that lighting needs to be good. Also, longer shots are better to avoid getting a blur.

I tend to edit a combination of long shots, close-ups and stills and you don't notice the blurring so much. I use Windows Movie Maker to edit.

Here's my latest vid - of yesterday's HO Grand Prix in Kent.

HO cars are really small so an even greater challenge to capture on film

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think my finepix digital camera has the same settings as yours Andy so ill try that see what happens.

G

·
Nice video, I particularly like the bit at 11 sec in, a bit of editing needs to be done there, have the guy getting up to marshal then sit him back down again several times!

Another tip is to pan the track without zooming in and follow one car, then edit into the rest of the video. Slow fades work well smoothes things out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts