SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
It appears that Jacques Villeneuve has officially signed with Sauber Petronas, as of today. The deal is for two years.

"I am extremely excited to be back in Formula One with the Sauber Petronas Team, and I appreciate the confidence everybody is showing in me," Villeneuve said. "It is my goal to work with Peter and his team to bring them forward in the championship during the next two seasons. In my recent visit to Sauber, I have been extremely impressed by the professionalism which is apparent throughout the factory. I am looking forward to seeing the results that will be developed by the state-of-the-art wind tunnel."

Info from f1.racing-live.com

·
Registered
316 Posts
hmmmm.... Jaques is back....

Interesting - I wonder how this will conflict with his monetary intrest in BAR>>>??? or did that get resolved last year..?

Myabe Im outta touch?

CoolS

·
Registered
773 Posts
..they have sorted this out last year when he left. JV is not worrying about money - -he want's to race! And the Sauber-factory in Hinwil is just 15km away from Egg - and as JV is a slotracer there might be a chance to get him over for a race when he's visiting the factory...

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
JV a slotracer and Hinwil close to Egg.......very interesting, I wonder if we could borrow the super wind tunnel...

And, now that they've got an experienced driver, this should clear the way for Liuzzi replacing Massa

BTW, Autosprint's unfavorably comparing the Trulli-Briatore mess to Button-Richard still getting points

·
Registered
773 Posts
...why Massa is still participating in races is a miracle to me - he's one of the worst drivers Sauber ever had! There are better drivers on the market available and the fact that Massa did tire-testing for Ferrari - and nothing else! - does not qualify him to race - IMHO.
But Xlot - why Liuzzi? Why not DC?

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
If JV wanted to race why choose a team like Sauber?

Yes they do ok but they are happy to settle for mid field.

It seems to be the story of JV career to be in second rate teams wasting his talent. Unlike DC who has a has had first rate cars and wasted them.

Unless he is thinking long term and those Ferrari engines and hoping to get close the techicans for a upgrade to whole red car in two years... Not a bad replacement for MS.

But then again Brawn et al will go with MS so maybe back to the wilderness?

And the irony of JV beating Button in the BAR would have been amusing.

At least we can watch him in the Renault for the next three races. Now we will see how good Alonso is and do you reckon JV is going worry about jumping out of MS way at the starts...

Here's a thought in 05 on the radio " Jacques Peter here" Silence "Michael is coming up behind you be a nice chap a move over".....

Roll on China!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Thomas,

agree on Massa - even as a tire tester, he's been blamed (don't know if right or wrong) for the 2003GA problems

Liuzzi's just Schumacherized F3000 , DC seems "bollito" (that's boiled over here)

As for JV joining Ferrari - apart from MS, he was never liked there (unimpressive F3 season) - it appears Rosso Brauni is considering 1st Raikkonen and 2d Alonso to keep him on his banana diet when the time comes

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great, now if they go to V-8's for the new engine rules, there will still always be a whining noise in F1! He whined his way out of BAR, now that he is in a Super Minardi he'll have even more chance to blame someone else for his poor performance!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
He's still a world champion even if it was in the best car. He bet Damon Hill fair and square in the same car, and it's not like he's a bad driver. I'd expect better treatment if I'd proved myself to be championship material.

And why shouldn't he whine? He had a cushy job at Williams where he could have gone on to another championship maybe. But he left because his manager persuaded him to join his new super team. Then his managed leaves the team, JV is treated like crap and then gets booted out of the team in the most humiliating way. Now Williams and the other top teams won't take him back.

Wouldn't you be pissed off?

McLaren

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What most people interpret as whining by Villeneuve is simply the fact that he does not hide his words or feelings. If he thinks a car is crap, he will say so. Most teams don't like that but at least you know where you stand with someone like that. And if BAR had met the very promises that enticed JV there in the first place, he would have had much kinder things to say. Regardless, though, he's another splash of colour in F1.

As for Liuzzi, he is earmarked for the test driver role at Sauber, apparently leaving Massa behind the wheel. DC would be a much better option!

Thomas, maybe JV will show up at Egg to get some practice time at Suzuka!

·
Registered
773 Posts
..maybe...

But he's not often in Hinwil, will be here again in November. Last info I've got...
So definitively he'll be not a surprise guest at the birthday-party...

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Hi Fergy,

I dunno - Massa had been shown the door by Sauber for crashing too much, and was ostensibly reimposed by Ferrari for training as a possible Barrichello replacement - which I would say he flunked

If Ferrari are now eyeing Liuzzi, they would want him to race and gain experience

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh, that's a shame Thomas! I would have seriously made my way to Egg if JV would've come
I can only agree with McLaren regarding JV's career! Well said mate! I was quite impressed by his speed in Melbourne 2003. Before the Friday qualifying he had done about 6 laps all in all, including in and out laps during the first two practice sessions due to blown engines. Then in the next session, the Friday qualifying session he's 4:th quickest in the B.A.R. 005!!! That was damn impressive I think. I was there and I was definitley convinced that he possess some serious talent. I think it's great that he's back!

Toby

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beppe, I totally agree! I'm only stating what was carried by the news feed. Massa has shown little talent, except as you say, for bending equipment.

I'm just happy to see Jacques back! Not that I'm Canadian or anything....

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm a big JV fan and am glad to see him back, but I bet he would have said Minardi's facilities were impressive if it meant getting back into F1. It was almost like he was blackballed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Renault is the place for Jacques! It is a win-win situation for them. If, he is good he is French, and if he sucks he is Canadian. I still say no one wants a spoiled cry baby on the team that will blame everything, but his lack of talent for poor results.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
There's not a lot of people who would stand up and say in front of the whole wide world "I shouldn't be in this job, because, lets face it, I'm just not fast enough."

In fact, I don't think anyone has ever done that... why should he be the one who starts?

McLaren

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
He doesn't seem to have lost much of his speed....

Silverstone Test - 16/09/04

1. T. Sato BAR-Honda - 1'17"397 - 82 laps
2. K. Raikkonen - McLaren-Mercedes - 1'17"400 - 94 laps
3. J. Villeneuve - Renault - 1'17"433 - 66 laps
4. R. Schumacher - Williams-BMW - 1'17"718 - 55 laps
5. M. Gene - Williams-BMW - 1'17"813 - 88 laps
6. J. Trulli - Toyota - 1'17"911 - 83 laps
7. A. Davidson - BAR-Honda - 1'17"960 - 71 laps
8. P. de la Rosa - McLaren-Mercedes - 1'18"401 - 93 laps
9. F. Montagny - Renault - 1'19"140 - 88 laps
10. R. Briscoe - Toyota - 1'19"147 - 84 laps
11. E. Bernoldi - BAR-Honda - 1'21"351 - 11 laps